Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-20-2008, 08:58 PM   #16
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Not that I'm aware of. The list is specific to the Honor Harrington series.
______
Dennis
Oh, I see. There is yet hope, then... ;-)
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:21 PM   #17
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
Oh, I see. There is yet hope, then... ;-)
Hope for what? That Weber will kill him off?
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2008, 09:55 PM   #18
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Hope for what? That Weber will kill him off?
______
Dennis
I suppose I'd settle for an injury to the vocal cords, suffered in battle. Why Weber decided to make a thinly disguised orc go around talking like Gene Stratton-Porter's Freckles, I'll never know.

I'm very fond of On Baselisk Station, though.

Last edited by wayrad; 07-20-2008 at 10:09 PM.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:10 PM   #19
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
I suppose I'd settle for an injury to the vocal cords, suffered in battle. Why Weber decided to make a thinly disguised orc go around talking like Gene Stratton-Porter's Freckles, I'll never know.
Mr. Weber said he "would" - but with so many other and more lucrative books it's highly unlikely - to do 2 more Bazhells and 5 prequels. I used to dislike that series, but the latest novella bundled with the reissue of Bazhell 1 is excellent and made me reconsider. In OAR and especially BSRA, Mr Weber showed he can do epic fantasy with the best - the comparison in Sfweekly with GRRM is not far fetched by any means- despite its sfnal trappings BSRA is epic fantasy in style and execution, just that magic is provided by an AI - and I hope he could show that mastery in any new Bazhell. Just stop rationalizing gods and magic and things will get better...
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:45 PM   #20
Duodora
Enthusiast
Duodora began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook!
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
If you like the Honor series, you might want to check out Elisabeth Moon's "Heris Serrano series" at www.baen.com. I find some of her books similar to the Honor series but many are not yet in ebook format. (Note "Sheepfarmer's Daughter" & "The Deed of Paksenarrion" are totally different.)

As far as Weber is concerned, I'm waiting for the third in the Hell's Gate series.
Thanks for the suggestion! I tried the Sheepfarmer's Daughter a few months ago and couldn't get into it (just couldn't really like the main character). But these are a bit different? I've heard a lot of things about Elizabeth Moon!

wayrad--I absolutely love Lois McMaster Bujold! Sadly the first Miles book I read was one of the last ones ( ) but I'm slowly working my way forward through the series I just read Cordelia's Honor and am on to Barrayar!

Oh dear, I hope Weber doesn't kill off Harrington! I'm all about enough deaths to make things realistic, but I guess I just like to think of characters like Honor as immortal (as silly as that sounds).

Thanks for all of the replies!
Duodora is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2008, 08:32 AM   #21
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodora View Post
Thanks for the suggestion! I tried the Sheepfarmer's Daughter a few months ago and couldn't get into it (just couldn't really like the main character). But these are a bit different? I've heard a lot of things about Elizabeth Moon!
I completely agree on the Sheepfarmer's Daughter but that is very different from the "Heris Serrano series" which, for me, was vary similar to Weber's Honor series just a different character.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:20 AM   #22
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Weber's new book: By Schism Rent Asunder

This month 3 books by 3 of my SF/Fantasy favorite authors were released in hardcover and I purchased all of them at my local B&N.

But I really love reading on my Sony Reader so I decided to try to find ebook versions that I would also purchase. I quickly found Harry Turtledove's Man With the Iron Heart -- but only at the Sony Connect store, not at Fictionwise. The price was fine for a new release (only out a couple of weeks), $12.60.

But I couldn't find anywhere either Weber's By Schism Rent Asunder or LE Modesitt's Mage-Guard of Hamor. Considering that Weber seems to be an ebook proponent, does anyone have a suspicion as to why the e-book version isn't available?

Also, what I found surprising was that if the Turtledove book is available at Sony, why Fictionwise didn't have it. Any ideas?
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:35 AM   #23
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
By Schism Rent Asunder is a Tor book, not Baen. I assume it will be up on Webscriptions with the rest of initial Tor offer once Arnold fixes up whatever needs to be fixed.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:40 AM   #24
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
For those interested you can bid on a specially-signed hardcover copy of By Schism Rent Asunder by David Weber or other military themed SF novels that have been donated for the Valour-IT 2008 auction. All funds received go directly to our wounded troops; 100% of your donation to Project Valour-IT will be used to purchase laptops and other technology that will support recovery and provide independence and freedom to wounded Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines.

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/spliff...Q_fromZQQ_mdoZ
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote