Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-15-2013, 12:05 AM   #23056
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post

When, oh when, are major stores going to insist on standardised clothing
sizes from manufacturers?

This lark of always having to try on garments has lost it's thrill I tell ya!

Cheers.
Totally agree!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
If I were allowed to use lethal force at work, things would go so much smoother .... and I would feel so much better ....

00Pooh?
That bad of day, yes?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #23057
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:

Cheers.
I agree as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
If I were allowed to use lethal force at work, things would go so much smoother .... and I would feel so much better ....

00Pooh?
Poor Pooh. Remember WE love ya (even if you are just a skinny little wishbone these days)... Name:  smiley-10.gif
Views: 208
Size:  48.3 KB
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2013, 07:24 AM   #23058
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:

Eventually we'll have automatic clothing manufacturing machines with 3d-scanning, to get you a version customised to your exact measurements.

Until then, it's trying on ready-made stuff, or going to a tailor/dressmaker.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #23059
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:

Cheers.
That's exactly why I never buy any clothes through catalog mail order. They always have such beautiful clothes. But for instance, I wear a size 6 jeans but if I were to order that size from a catalog they'd barely fit a Barbie Doll.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #23060
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Heck, baby and toddler clothes do not have a standard size. It is crazy. Trust me, the kid doesn't care what size he/she is in and I am not going to point out that at 15 months the 2T clothes fit him well and he was wearing 16 month clothes when he was 10 months. He doesn't care.

Just make the silly things the same size so I can walk into the store and buy him his stuff and not worry that some brands he wears 18 month and others he wears 3T. Ugggghhh
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #23061
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Tip:

when you've banged your head hard enough to get a bump don't go dye your hair with dye you need to massage in the next day. Ouch.
OK, I won't.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #23062
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:

Cheers.
"Stores" are never going to insist on standardized clothing sizes from manufacturers, because since the early 1920's, they never have, actually. What used to be a "dressmaker's 8" in the 60's and 70's is now closer to a 3. (I'm 5'9", by the way, and 125lbs; the idea of me wearing a 3 is ludicrous).

I remember when Liz Claiborne started making her clothes smaller, so that larger women could feel like they were wearing 8's or 10's; I put on an 8 suit in....1979 that I literally swam in. I mean, SWAM. I ended up with it in a 2 or 3, if memory serves (I don't think she did juniors, so a 3, most likely). I was boggled, because it was ridiculous; I'd been an 8 for at least 10 years by then. All other mannies followed suit (pun intended), and then the Haute houses that were putting out RTW (Ready to Wear) instantly picked up on it. By the early 80's, it was in full swing; only the cheap places had the "old" sizes. Now even they have the "3 is the new 8" kind of thing going on. A few years ago, when I was a bit thinner than I am now (I was ill), I actually wore a small Cavalli dress, (a sample sale on Yoox) which is RIDICULOUS. Nobody my height is a "small" in anything.

Then, add in the absurd hullabaloo about "Size 0" actresses, and, well....I mean, I'm all for being a healthy size and weight. But I don't think that deluding women into thinking that they are smaller than they really are is helpful, given all the problems in the US with obesity. (JMHO--please don't throw stones). Not to mention, the originally-posted issue--you cannot rely on anything to be remotely close to the size it's supposed to be, making online shopping a nightmare.

So, in short (ha!), don't expect them to confirm any time soon. Even places that try to help you with sizing almost always get it wrong (Yoox, for example). It's try, try and try, which I loathe. I've never liked shopping for anything (cars, clothes, food), so I've ended up with a closet-full of a) clothes for business meetings/dinners/parties and my alternative, which is b) "I'm homeless"-looking. If I received an invitation right now for "casual chic," I'd be screwed. ;-) And, honestly, if you loathe sweatpants, what's out there as an alternative? Jeggings? YUCK.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #23063
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Yoga pants. Love me my yoga pants
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:04 AM   #23064
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Me too and I love the rant Hitch. I gave up a long time ago trying to order online. When I try clothes on in stores, I usually grab four sizes between junior and women just to come close to a size that may fit. I may have to go check the kids section sizes sometimes. It drives me crazy and makes me hate shopping even more. Then what makes it worse is that the exact same thing is a different price depending on which department you get it from!
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:05 AM   #23065
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
My Acer netbook's power jack just broke loose without warning. No way to charge it, now. It's almost 4 years old, and I use it every day, so it's not as if I can get too angry about it. There are Youtube videos up that show how to replace the plug on my exact model, but I'd have to strip it all the way down from the top and bottom (a pain in the neck) and then solder the new part to a cramped circuit board, so I'm going to check out repair costs. There's an independent shop in the next town that had a trailer at the Trenton Computer Fest* for years, so I'll probably stop by.

I'm hoping that the repair will be cheap enough that I can get it done and buy time while I look for a good sale at Newegg or Woot. (Hmmm ... they're Wooting Off at the moment ...)

In the meantime, my ancient IBM desktop (almost 11 years old) has developed odd personality quirks and a wicked sense of humor, so now my online life is getting precarious. (I'm 80% done with building a replacement desktop, but the 20% that's left is the difficult part.)

* The Trenton Computer Fest ( http://electrical-computerengineerin....tcnj.edu/tcf/ ) is the world's oldest (and Largest?) personal computer show, held once a year about 45 minutes from my place. It started in 1976 and, in the days before the internet, was the best place to get computer gear. It has really scaled back in the past 10 years or so, largely due to online competition from places like Ebay, etc. The last time I was there I took my daughter, then 14. She bought an ANCIENT Compaq laptop (with a 8 GB hard drive) for under $50 (with her own money -- that was important to her). We took it home, installed a low-impact Linux distro and a USB wi-fi adapter, and she was on Facebook that afternoon. I've never seen her happier.

But I'm still bummed about the netbook power jack.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #23066
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I just got my Kobo Aura HD, after updating and setting it up I turned on the light and just left from the centre is a bright spot. It's tiny, but visible when setting the light higher than 35%. I already called the store I bought it from, I can return it and will get a new one. I probably could have lived with it if the bright spot was along the edge, because it's only tiny. However, at the centre of the screen it's just too distracting (I had a Sony with dust trapped between the layer and that annoyed me a lot). I'm now awaiting instructions and the shipping label to return it. Unfortunately they don't send a new one straight away, the want to check the device out first, which I can understand.

Hopefully I can send it back today, so they have it tomorrow and with a bit of luck I get a new one on Saturday or early next week.

Luckily I still have my Kindle (although I was looking forward to reading a scary ebook in the dark tonight).
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:53 AM   #23067
glos
Zealot
glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
@Rumpelteazer
I have 2, too, one is very near the bezel so it doesn't even bother the text, the other is much smaller. Both I discovered 1 month after I bought the device, because I had the light at more than 35% and was reading with a different angle than usual. 99% of the time I don't go past 30% (in fact i use 7 in bed and no light or 17 during the day) light, so I never see them. I'm not bothered but I bet it's distracting if it's in the middle of the screen and if one is used to keeping the light up! Hope the replacement is fine!
glos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #23068
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
There are situations that although there is enough light to read by it is low enough for my eyes to get tired. In those situations I might turn up the light high enough for the spot to become visible.

I've just dropped the package of at the post office, the store should get it tomorrow and hopefully they'll have time to check it out and send out a replacement (but I'm not counting on it).
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #23069
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Yoga pants. Love me my yoga pants
I'm not a tight-clothes wearer. I've worn fitted clothes for business all of my life; for a long time, wore bespoke suits, before mannies and designers finally came up with the brilliant idea of making suits available in separates, so I could get the (then) 10-sized jacket I needed (my shoulders are deceptive--they don't look large, but I'm wide across the back) and the then 6- or 8-sized skirt.

But my actual preference is for loose-fit clothes, so while I'll wear yoga pants if needed (for yoga), I'm more of a floppy, loose fitting linen person, or lounging/pj-type pants and tops, myself. I don't like the feeling of clothes restricting my movements at all. ;-) Tim Gunn would not approve of my casual dress, let's just leave it at that.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #23070
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.

Yesterday I tried to get a pair (or two) of size eight trousers. Now, I am 5'2" tall(short?), and not all stores cater for shorties like me. Saw a fabulous pair in white, but would have had to grow at least five more inches to wear them. The assistant suggested shortening them (Hah!) which meant that the crotch would have been that much too low-slung.

And don't get me started on shoe sizing.

I'm staying home today.

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness