Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-18-2007, 11:08 PM   #1
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
My setup

I thought I'd post my current set of reader hacks that I have on my own reader. This is more for illustration purposes than any expectation that someone wants this exact same setup. (I went a little crazy)

What it contains:
No clock
Consistent menu font sizes
Joystick page turn inside books
Direct Page Control with Enter (heavily modified from diablo's original code. I simplified the logic quite a bit.)
Additional Direct Page Control modification: no hard limit on pages for cancel. Any value beyond the current book's total will cancel and display the cancel icon.
Removed the battery icon and the size icon
Holding down ENT in a book will display the current battery level
Upped the battery warning when you power on to trigger at 25% instead of 0%
Holding down Mark will turn the reader OFF (in the real, wait a minute and a half for it to turn back on and boot up sense)
Added a message and the lightning icon when turning OFF
Moved Bookmark Menu to holding down Volume Down
Disabled the blue light when creating a bookmark
Attached Files
File Type: zip nogg.zip (8.0 KB, 543 views)

Last edited by Nogg; 08-19-2007 at 07:37 PM. Reason: new build on Sunday
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:12 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When you say turn off, do you mean off as in no drain on the battery? And if so, when we turn it back on, all our bookmarks and last pages are saved without having to connect the Sony to Connect (the software)?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:18 PM   #3
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

I hope I mean no battery drain. I just made that change today so I haven't had time to test it, but I'm fairly sure it really is going off... it might still be trickling current for the clock, but it shouldn't be running the OS. I'm going to try to use it for a while like that to see if it prolongs the battery life in any significant manner.

I tested it with my current book and it remembered the current location as well as a test bookmark. I don't use bookmarks much so if you're concerned, I'd connect to Connect (heh) before you start playing with it just to be sure.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:23 PM   #4
Nogg
Literate!

BTW, that was the Volume Down button. I need to pay more attention when I'm writing these.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:05 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If it does work to actually turn off the reader proper, I'd love to get it installed in #16. But I can tell it'll be a while before we can know for sure. Good luck being without your reader for at least a week to test it.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:30 PM   #6
Nogg
Literate!

if you want to be a little brave, Jon, it's a super easy change.

In applicationStart.xml, change the line:
<boolean key="0x41-hold" do="doMute"/>
to
<boolean key="0x41-hold" do="doQuit"/>

that's it!
Old 08-19-2007, 07:26 PM   #7
Nogg
Literate!

Updated the file with a few minor improvements. I've listed them in the original post.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:36 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Since you've updated the direct page control, can you go back to all the other copies and fix them too?
Old 08-19-2007, 11:52 PM   #9
Nogg
Literate!

I could, but I'd prefer trying to come up with a better solution for combining hacks together. Otherwise we're going to end up with a huge list of zip files, each of which would need to be manually updated every time a new hack came up or an old one was changed.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:04 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogg View Post
I could, but I'd prefer trying to come up with a better solution for combining hacks together. Otherwise we're going to end up with a huge list of zip files, each of which would need to be manually updated every time a new hack came up or an old one was changed.
True. But how to do that is the question.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:16 AM   #11
Nogg
Literate!

Yeah, it won't be easy.

Diablo's idea of making a .NET app that creates a custom xml file is looking to be the best solution. The only tricky bit is that a couple of the hacks interfere with each other. Those may require some special case chunks, but otherwise it should be fairly cut and dry. Making it so that anyone can add additional hacks is going to be the hardest part, I'd say.

In the long run, however, it should make everyone's lives easier.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:01 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogg View Post
if you want to be a little brave, Jon, it's a super easy change.

In applicationStart.xml, change the line:
<boolean key="0x41-hold" do="doMute"/>
to
<boolean key="0x41-hold" do="doQuit"/>

that's it!
Before I do this, I've forgotten which key(s) get pressed here to turn off the reader?
Old 08-22-2007, 01:30 PM   #13
Nogg
Literate!

That code will make Holding Volume Down the OFF function.