Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-01-2014, 08:28 AM   #16
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
The first one because when looking at it I was thinking "ok, some toilets no big deal". But when paying more attention, the shape of those toilets is strange and I want to know why. Does that make sense?
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:33 AM   #17
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I prefer number 3, but I'd use the text colour/style from number 1. Number 2 is just confusing to my eyes - it's not immediately obvious what it is.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #18
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Nothing says "Creepy" like Toxic Spill Green. But, I might recognize the toilet better if you "widened" the shot out a bit. As it is, it looks more like it could be a generic drain.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:32 PM   #19
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I've actually changed the title, which now affects the presentation - one that I'm happy to make, since it presents a more ideal version of the actual story I'm trying to spoof, along with usual tropes attendant to this form.

I have Gimp, but my god that program seems complicated.

I want to put an image (sans background) on top of the blue image attached.

Below are the three images (and one other). The blue one is the one I would like to experiment with by placing the 'dirigible' on top. I took that from an old issue of 'Modern Mechanix.'

I'm trying to achieve on my own a type of cover similar in style to those of Lin Carter's Callisto series (since I can't afford the services of a company that specializes in producing covers). I want the cover to harken back to one of the fantasy series that I devoured while in my 20s, and still love to read).

This is a short story, by the way, and not a novel.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sky Pirates of Gur image.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	364.6 KB
ID:	132183   Click image for larger version

Name:	dirigible.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	441.9 KB
ID:	132184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Modern-Mechanix-airship-710x1024.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	132185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jandar o Callisto - Lin Carter cover.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	132186  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-08-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:28 PM   #20
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I have Gimp, but my god that program seems complicated.

I want to put an image (sans background) on top of the blue image attached.
I use Acorn (a Mac-only editor), which has a really nice tutorial website which should be generally applicable to the Gimp (since they've mostly got the same basic toolsets).

I think these pages will be of most use to you (their site seems a bit slow to load today, so patience may be required):
Also, The League of Movable Type has some very nice free fonts with generous open usage licenses, designed by mostly professional typographers in their spare time, if you're interested.

Last edited by ATDrake; 12-08-2014 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Found another.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
I use Acorn (a Mac-only editor), which has a really nice tutorial website which should be generally applicable to the Gimp (since they've mostly got the same basic toolsets).

I think these pages will be of most use to you (their site seems a bit slow to load today, so patience may be required):
Also, The League of Movable Type has some very nice free fonts with generous open usage licenses, designed by mostly professional typographers in their spare time, if you're interested.

Thank you for the information on these these.

I'll be checking them out tomorrow morning.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote