Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-31-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
m4st3r
m4st3r began at the beginning.

Device: k3 keyboard
Question Starting applications from Kindle Terminal

I have Kindle Terminal installed on my K3 keyboard. I was wondering if I could run some applications avaiable here using this terminal, **without** installing launchpad or kite.

Should I just check the .sh file provided too see if it pauses the framework before launching the app? After the application is started, will I be able to "Shift T" to reopen the terminal, kill it and unpause the framework?

To be more precisely, the main application I need to run is the kindlepdfviewer application, but a general procedure would be appreciated, if possible.

Thanks in advance!
m4st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4st3r View Post
I have Kindle Terminal installed on my K3 keyboard. I was wondering if I could run some applications avaiable here using this terminal, **without** installing launchpad or kite.

Should I just check the .sh file provided too see if it pauses the framework before launching the app? After the application is started, will I be able to "Shift T" to reopen the terminal, kill it and unpause the framework?

To be more precisely, the main application I need to run is the kindlepdfviewer application, but a general procedure would be appreciated, if possible.

Thanks in advance!
Why not try running it with the new Application Launcher?

Let us know how that works out for you, ask for specific help whenever you get stuck.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:07 AM   #3
m4st3r
m4st3r began at the beginning.

Device: k3 keyboard
Thanks for your answer.

Well, to be entirely honest I really didn't want to install any other program that is 'always there', hooks the keyboard, etc.

As long as I already have this terminal, I'd rather use it to open any other app, even if it requires some number of commands to start/stop the target app.
m4st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:49 AM   #4
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Hi. The launcher isn't always there.

It's simply a one-off "You call it up" app. I wouldn't be so quick to write it off for that job. Someone will have to look at making a relevant "menu/config pair" for various options I suppose and to get your IP (maybe we could parse that) Duh! pdf not vnc lol

Anyways. it's a one shot.

EDIT: k3... right. I'll have a look now at the launchpad...

Last edited by twobob; 02-02-2013 at 07:38 PM. Reason: pdf
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:12 AM   #5
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Worked Example of refactoring a launchpad script to KUAL

Where are we?

[root@kindle launchpad]# pwd
Quote:
/mnt/us/launchpad
Let's look at what we want to port to KUAL
[root@kindle launchpad]# cat kpdf.ini
Quote:
[Actions]
# start kindlepdfviewer with filebrowser in /mnt/us/documents
P D = !/mnt/us/kindlepdfviewer/kpdf.sh /mnt/us/documents
# start kindlepdfviewer with last document
P P = !/mnt/us/kindlepdfviewer/kpdf.sh
# start kindlepdfviewer without framework in /mnt/us/documents
P K = !/mnt/us/kindlepdfviewer/kpdf.sh --framework_stop /mnt/us/documents
# start kindlepdfviewer without framework on last read document
P L = !/mnt/us/kindlepdfviewer/kpdf.sh --framework_stop
# restart amazon framework - when it got irritated
P R = !/etc/init.d/framework restart
so we need to grab out the .sh and refactor the calls to KUAL buttons.

Let's make a directory:
[root@kindle launchpad]# mkdir -p /mnt/us/extensions/kpdf/bin

copy out that shell script
[root@kindle launchpad]# cp ./kpdf.sh /mnt/us/extensions/kpdf/bin/

Convert Launchpad commands to other Launcher commands in menu.json

Code:
{
"items": [
{
"name": "KPDF",
"priority": 0,
"items": [
{"name": "Start in documents", "priority": 1, "action": "bin/kpdf.sh", "params": "/mnt/us/documents"},
{"name": "Open last document", "priority": 2, "action": "bin/kpdf.sh"}
]
}
]
}
[TABS FLATTENED FOR EASE OF READING]
(I did two for now.)

update config.xml

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<extension>
	<information>
		<name>KPDF</name>
		<version>0.0</version>
		<author>Hawhill</author>
		<id>helper</id>
	</information>
	<menus>
		<menu type="json" dynamic="true">menu.json</menu>
	</menus>
</extension>
To Be Continued... seems to work fine.

Just extract the kpdf.zip in /mnt/us/extensions/
(oh and install the pre-requisites and then The Kual Kindlet itself) LINK REMOVED AS IT WAS ALREADY STALE!
Go get the latest version from the thread

remember to check you have the latest versions (these links get old) by visiting The Main KUAL Thread. Cheers

EDIT:

FOR FULL DETAILS OF KPDF SUPPORT IN KUAL PLEASE VISIT IT'S SUPPORT PAGES
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageMagick: root.fb.pgm_057.png
Views:	1040
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	100448   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageMagick: root.fb.pgm_059.png
Views:	1662
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	100449   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageMagick: root.fb.pgm_060.png
Views:	1047
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	100450   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageMagick: root.fb.pgm_061.png
Views:	1254
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	100451   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageMagick: root.fb.pgm_062.png
Views:	966
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	100452  

Last edited by twobob; 02-17-2013 at 11:31 PM. Reason: TBC
Old 02-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #6
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Great! Heh, I've seen that document's cover before ;-) (has been a nice experience to write, and I gained some citations within the scientific community...)
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:32 PM   #7
twobob

Updated thread links to point at the KDPF SUPPORT PAGE