Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-19-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Time to create a catalog in Calibre?

Is there a connection between how many books are in Calibre and how long it takes to create a catalog of the books? I found after discounting some duplicates in my listing that I made in spreadsheet form that I had bought some 579 books from Smashwords during the ebook week and it took 351 minutes (or 5.85 hrs) for Calibre to make the catalog file for me. So I was wondering if there is a Formula for figuring out how long it takes to create one.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
You're saying it took 351 minutes to create a catalog for 579 books? That's a very long time.

There's no formula, as it depends on your machine specs and the options you select for the catalog.

Here's a simple test you can perform to isolate what's taking so long. Build a catalog with a smaller subset of books, say 100. Create a catalog with only the 'Authors' or 'Titles' sections enabled. Note that time.

With the same set of 100 books selected, add the 'Descriptions' section. Descriptions take longer than any of the other sections. I would guess that the time to build should go up by a factor of 3-4. So if it took a minute to catalog 100 books for Titles only, I'm guessing less than 5 minutes to do Titles and Descriptions.

That test will tell you a couple of things - how long per 100 books when cataloging Titles only, and how much longer it takes when adding Descriptions. That should give you a rough idea of how long n books should take.

Another thing that could be taking a lot of time is Tags. Try disabling Genres to see how much of a difference that makes. If that is a factor, clean up your tags, or designate a custom column to use for Genre cataloging.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Is there a connection between how many books are in Calibre and how long it takes to create a catalog of the books? I found after discounting some duplicates in my listing that I made in spreadsheet form that I had bought some 579 books from Smashwords during the ebook week and it took 351 minutes (or 5.85 hrs) for Calibre to make the catalog file for me. So I was wondering if there is a Formula for figuring out how long it takes to create one.
IIRC The first time you use a book title in the Catalog, It has to create a thumbnail <calibre config folder>\cache\catalog\thumbs.zip
How much RAM do you have?
Was there other programs running at the time (those use some of that RAM)?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I've added some diagnostic timing information to the jobs log which will make it possible to see how much time is being spent in the various phases of catalog creation. It should be available in the next release.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote