Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

Kindle Previewer 2.51 adds 6 Font Faces for Kindle Touch preview mode

I just updated to the latest Kindle Previewer 2.51 and one of the new features is a "preview mode to emulate displays as on the Kindle Touch device." The Devices menu now contains the item Kindle Touch. And interestingly when you select Kindle Touch from the Devices menu a Font Face menu becomes active in the Aa menu and contains these six items:
  • Caecilia
  • Caecilia Condensed
  • Baskerville
  • Futura
  • Helvetica
  • Palatino

The Font Face menu is only active when Kindle Touch is selected. It is greyed out for all other devices including the Kindle Fire. Hmmmm. I wonder if they simply screwed up and activated for the Touch instead of the Fire? Or perhaps a new firmware update for the Touch will add more fonts? I'm hoping for the latter, though I suspect the former.

EDIT: I tried each of the six font faces from the Font Face menu while the Devices menu was set to Kindle Touch and each displays a different font. I'm still curious if these were meant to be used for the Fire. Anyone with a Fire, what are your font choices?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle-previewer-251.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	89414  

Last edited by jswinden; 07-19-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Anyone with a Fire, what are your font choices?

Those are not Kindle Fire fonts.
Kindle Fire fonts are:
Caecilia, Trebuchet, Verdana, Arial, Times New Roman, Courier, Lucida and Georgia

I prefer Trebuchet when reading on my KF.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Well, then just maybe they are planning to add font options to the Touch. That would great, even if these fonts may not be the ones we would choose, at least it would be a step in the right direction. I'm getting tired of just 3 choices. We currently get a serif (Caecilia), another serif that is condensed (also Caecilia), and a sans serif. For my eyes which are middle aged, the only one thick or dark enough to comfortably read for hours is the sans serif. I'm ready for some options. Though I still assume these fonts were probably included in Kindle Previewer by accident.

It is kind of odd they didn't include the fire's fonts for when preview mode is set to the Fire.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-19-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Well, then just maybe they are planning to add font options to the Touch. That would great, even if these fonts may not be the ones we would choose, at least it would be a step in the right direction. I'm getting tired of just 3 choices. We currently get a serif (Caecilia), another serif that is condensed (also Caecilia), and a sans serif. For my eyes which are middle aged, the only one thick or dark enough to comfortably read for hours is the sans serif. I'm ready for some options. Though I still assume these fonts were probably included in Kindle Previewer by accident.
I like more font choices! Futura & Helvetica are really nice Sans Serif fonts. It may even bring me closer to buying a KT but I'm waiting for the lighted version.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I like more font choices! Futura & Helvetica are really nice Sans Serif fonts. It may even bring me closer to buying a KT but I'm waiting for the lighted version.
I'm really hoping the lighted version, if it is ever released, will not degrade the contrast of the eInk and will do a bang up job of illuminating the whole screen in dark rooms. I must say that the current Touch is the best eInk reader I've ever owned, and I've owned a bunch. It has its weak points, but overall it is great. The choice of some more fonts would make it even better.
Advert