Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #61
mduijkers
Edge User

Dear Fgruber,

I would like to download repligo (want want want !)
and diopen.

But where can I find those to download? have looked in the andappstore. cant find them

Old 04-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #62
borisb
Edge User

Based on Cheyenne's reassurances that most things run fine, I broke down and installed Ermine on my EE, tried it out, then updated my PE, too. I gave each a run through of all the apps I have installed, etc. Here's what I found:
- the beta appears to be much more stable than I thought
- it runs very fast on both devices - quite an achievement given enTourage's early indications that speed was a real problem initially
- after the first boot on both devices, I got a message about failing to import the library and to use Menu - Library Scan if necessary. Could not find "Menu - Library Scan" everywhere, but all my content and tags seemed okay.
- the browser does seem to crash frequently, but going back to the same page a second time often seems to work (I use Opera most of the time, so not a big deal)
- landscape eInk works, although the eInk refresh is a real mess (for me), require pressing "Refresh" when first rotating the screen
- PDFs actually seem to look worse (less crisp with lower contrast) than before on both devices. Not sure if it's my eyes playing tricks. EPUBs show just fine.
- the PE has Settings - Power Control, including hibernation. The EE lacks this setting and apparently either defaults to hibernate, or uses the older Sleep mode
- Winamp for Android runs great on Android 2.2.1! (Yay!)
- every app I tried seemed to work fine
- if an app came up in a blank window (some people report a "Force Close"), Cheyenne's tip of going into Settings - Applications and using the "Clear Data" option on the app did in fact restore the app to full working condition.
- desktop widgets on the PE seemed to have been undisturbed
- about half my desktop widgets on the EE disappeared, and the grid spacing is now "huge". Must be the screen size.
- I haven't seen any hibernation issues. The EE "sleeps" and wakes up really fast. The PE "hibernates" equally instantly and wakes up just as fast (note you can force the PE to hibernate by long-pressing the Rotate button). Not sure if the power-saving modes are actually going into effect. Will find out more by tomorrow afternoon.

Having played with both for about an hour, I'd say the Ermine experience on the PE is terrific, and only slightly less so on the EE. A wee bit quirky on both machines, but stuff I can live with given the advantages of Android 2.2. I don't think I'll need to revert to the previous version at this point.

EDIT: Turns out the EE does hibernate after a while when closed, but you can't control the interval or force it immediately like you can on the PE. On both devices, the eInk side will show "The eDGE is hibernating" when in fact they are. Pressing the Menu button wakes both up quite quickly.

Last edited by borisb; 04-01-2011 at 10:17 PM.

Advert
Old 04-01-2011, 09:17 PM   #63
cheyennedonna
Edge User

I'm honored you value my opinion enough to risk the update. Ermine is pretty cool. I wonder if we should start a thread for requests and hope for the best?

Old 04-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #64
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mduijkers View Post
Dear Fgruber,

I would like to download repligo (want want want !)
and diopen.

But where can I find those to download? have looked in the andappstore. cant find them
Amazon App store, the app is 4.99 and well worth the money.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:19 PM   #65
borisb
Edge User

Based on what the opt-in message said, a separate thread isn't necessary. The message indicated staff will be reading our posts, especially in the Ermine forum, and gleaning suggestions directly. If they plan on doing anything, our posts, however/wherever they are, will be reviewed.

Advert
Old 04-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #66
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennedonna View Post
I'm honored you value my opinion enough to risk the update.
As always in the past, some people will have bad experiences with their eDGe. Hopefully these will be a very small handful.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #67
cheyennedonna
Edge User

OK. Then for the staff working on Ermine Final Release.
Flash Player
Adobe Reader
Apps to SD 0- Even if it means moving the edge data to SD and if so how about a way to utilize the 3 GB on the edge
Skype can't connect.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:29 PM   #68
guyjack
Edge User

Quote:
OK. Then for the staff working on Ermine Final Release.
Flash Player
Adobe Reader
Apps to SD 0- Even if it means moving the edge data to SD and if so how about a way to utilize the 3 GB on the edge
Skype can't connect.
I second everything she said/typed!

Old 04-02-2011, 02:02 AM   #69
janvangastel
Edge User

I think I'll wait for the real update. If that doesn't show up for whatever reason, I can always update to this beta version.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:25 AM   #70
alefor
Edge User

Quote:
....Then for the staff working on Ermine Final Release....
While I certainly hope we will see a "final" release (and more!), given all that seems to be (not) going on at Entourage, is there any evidence to suspect that we will ever see another software release? Somewhere in another thread a day or so ago, someone made the statement that this is it. It seems to be that all evidence points in that direction.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:52 AM   #71
janvangastel
Edge User

Yes, but until there is an official statment, we can't be sure. I have no problem waiting a little longer. The beta version will not run away.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:34 AM   #72
alefor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janvangastel View Post
Yes, but until there is an official statment, we can't be sure. I have no problem waiting a little longer. The beta version will not run away.
I agree that there is no problem waiting. The beta is pretty good, in my opinion and I am very happy to have it. But, what will happen next with Entourage is totally unknown to most of us mere mortals. There may never be an "official statement".... everything may just evaporate suddenly. All we can do is wait, but as for me, I have no expectations of more upgrades, or anything at all.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:48 AM   #73
t_b
Edge User

Okay, I registered for the update. My device is registered under the same email address as I am registered on the main site. Still after rebooting and connecting to wifi. No automatic request to update.
Am I missing something obvious?

Old 04-02-2011, 05:43 AM   #74
ivan
Edge User

Hi t_b, you need to use the update app. Just make sure you have enough power in the battery as you don't want anything cutting out when it does the update.

As a general observation, my EE hibernated overnight and woke up without problems this morning.
Battery life is very good - up for over 24 hours with over 50% charge left, OK it was sleeping overnight but in the same conditions before I would have to charge first thing.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:16 AM   #75
t_b
Edge User

Thx, but I don't seem to have an update app. Did you have to download it or was it pre-installed?