Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 12-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #31
borisb
Edge User

Welcome to the forums, Alex

The Pocket eDGe lacks the required supporting software needed by the Google Market app. Google continues to blockade non-phone Android devices.

I've seen mentions of being able to install all the required stuff, possibly requiring root access, but I don't think it's detailed in these forums.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #32
alex_edge
Edge User

Well, that certainly explains it! I don't understand why Google would do that--don't they want the Android OS to proliferate?

Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 08:59 AM   #33
borisb
Edge User

It's a question all of us have been asking for a very long time

Old 12-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #34
OncTech
Edge User

My hypothesis is they want to prevent piracy of paid apps, under the flawed logic that non-phone devices are more hackable due to the lack of cell carrier meddling/stranglehold/rooting counter-measures. This kinda makes sense if you think about unlocked/non-carrier subsidized android phone in other nations, which also cannot access the market. Also, American cell phones these days are highly traceable. For example did you know if you call 911, the dispatcher instantly knows your full name, home address, and exact GPS coordinates, and that you can't hang up until he or she lets you or you rip out the battery? While they might ask your name and location anyway, they're really just trying hide this fact.

Back to the topic of working around this block, now that root access is easy on the eDGe, maybe we can make use of this: http://code.google.com/p/market-enabler/

Old 12-09-2010, 09:42 AM   #35
alex_edge
Edge User

Ah, I hadn't considered that. Which actually reminds me: I had read several articles online that a Verizon 3G enabled edge was in the works, and was supposed to hit in September. But upon investigation, that doesn't seem to be the case, and I can't find any follow-up information. It's the obvious next step for a device like the edge, and if it were 3G enabled, it would resolve the security concern (if that's what it is).

Does rooting the edge violate the warranty?

Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 12:32 PM   #36
OncTech
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_edge View Post
Does rooting the edge violate the warranty?
I don't believe so. And the reason for that is that unlike many phones, rooting the eDGe doesn't require any hardware tampering or ROM install. All you do is input a password, and it is completely reversible.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/08...-instructions/

Old 12-09-2010, 01:54 PM   #37
alex_edge
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OncTech View Post
I don't believe so. And the reason for that is that unlike many phones, rooting the eDGe doesn't require any hardware tampering or ROM install. All you do is input a password, and it is completely reversible.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/08...-instructions/
Well that's cool! Although I noticed that someone in the comments over there asked if this works for the pocket edge as well, and there was no response. I'm assuming it would? (I have the pocket and not EE). I don't actually know what adb is either, but I'm sure an explanation is just one google search away.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:16 PM   #38
borisb
Edge User

adb is a method for a developer to connect to the internals of a device from a development machine.

Generally, the PE and EE can be considered the same device, apart from the screen size.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:37 AM   #39
Snepscheut
Edge User

Hello all,

Just to let you know:
I'v bought an Archos 70, after upgrading to Froyo (regular update) all it took was downloading 1 .apk to install full google market access.

Greetings,

Jos.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:58 AM   #40
borisb
Edge User

What was the APK? Did it require root access? Are you able to purchase apps with it?

Old 12-10-2010, 10:31 AM   #41
Snepscheut
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
What was the APK? Did it require root access? Are you able to purchase apps with it?
Hello Boris

gApps4Archos2.apk no root access required, did not yet tryed to buy new apps but google backup installed some of the apps I have on my Hero.

Free apps download and install without problem.

Greetings,

Jos

Old 12-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #42
OncTech
Edge User

Tried it. Says it only works for Froyo.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:25 PM   #43
borisb
Edge User

Apparently there was a release on Dec 1 to support Froyo. We would need the previous version that works with 1.6...

Old 12-10-2010, 11:08 PM   #44
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Found it I think

http://www.mediafire.com/?7xkrb2a4go7w9iv
try here, found it by going here
http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=38186

Old 12-10-2010, 11:19 PM   #45
borisb
Edge User

The mediafire link didn't work. The one listed in the archosfans forum did. It installed and shows two options "Install Google applications" and "Remove Google applications". The former, when clicked, displays "Cannot install... requires eclair" (Android 2.1 I think).

I got scared when I read the post at the bottom of the first page where a user bricked (rendered inoperable) their Archos. Subsequent posts revealed the user needed to update their Archos firmware to a more recent version. Given this type of firmware dependency, it could mess up an eDGe depending on which firmware the eDGe is running...?

Last edited by borisb; 12-10-2010 at 11:30 PM.