Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2007, 01:11 AM   #1
frozenpeas43
frozenpeas43 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Is this the end of my Sony Reader?

I'm in Korea so I can't really send this back.

I'm a bit wary of buying a new one - I wasn't rough with it!

Anyone else had this problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7123.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	5661  
frozenpeas43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:17 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenpeas43 View Post
I'm in Korea so I can't really send this back.

I'm a bit wary of buying a new one - I wasn't rough with it!

Anyone else had this problem?
have you plugged it into the USB port and made sure Connect sees it? Have you tried fully charging it using the AC adapter?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:41 AM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
I *think* it's a bit beyond the any CONNECT issues.

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
have you plugged it into the USB port and made sure Connect sees it? Have you tried fully charging it using the AC adapter?
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:24 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That is a broken screen, for sure. What did you do to it? That's "mechanical" damage, beyond a doubt.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:02 AM   #5
jlc
Enthusiast
jlc began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
Definitely looks like a broken screen. Smashed, perhaps?
jlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:20 AM   #6
frozenpeas43
frozenpeas43 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I don't know, I opened my bag the day after I saw my students f***ing around behind my desk and it was like that.

I can't pin the blame on any one of them though...they weren't to know it was in the bag, even if they did break it.

gutted.

Now...whether to pick up a new on on e-bay or wait for the revision...
frozenpeas43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:16 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenpeas43 View Post
I don't know, I opened my bag the day after I saw my students fucking around behind my desk and it was like that.

I can't pin the blame on any one of them though...they weren't to know it was in the bag, even if they did break it.

gutted.

Now...whether to pick up a new on on e-bay or wait for the revision...
It doesn't matter that they knew the Reader was in your bag or not. They had no right to screw around with the contents of your bag and break your Reader. So yes, you can blame them and you should blame them. Make their parents or them pay for the replacement.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:20 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It looks as though it's been banged against something pretty hard, or trodden on. The screen is pretty tough - it takes a lot to physically break it, as has happened here.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:55 PM   #9
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Well, for normal carry and use it takes a lot. But the impact that took out my screen really wasn't all that forceful. But it was a corner impact directly on the screen surface from a 2-3 foot drop. With other user's screen breakage stories, I'd say that the unit isn't fragile, but direct screen impacts are.
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:01 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'd call it not fragile, but certainly not ruggedized either.

The metal case does seem to lend it a good deal more robustness than I expected out of it, though.

Except, of course, for the exceptions.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:44 PM   #11
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
It sounds like extra homework and lots of pop quizes until the matter is resolved. My teachers always seemed to make the whole class pay when one misbehaved.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote