Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-12-2011, 01:33 AM   #1
blu-
Enthusiast
blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.

Device: prs 650
Entertaining nonfiction books that I might learn something from.

I'm trying to alternate between fiction and nonfiction, and I don't have enough in the latter category. So far I've read:

Freakonomics and SuperFreakonomics
How to Win Friends and Influence People
A Short History of Nearly Everything
Secrets of Mental Math

Thanks.
blu- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:26 AM   #2
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu- View Post
I'm trying to alternate between fiction and nonfiction, and I don't have enough in the latter category. So far I've read:

Freakonomics and SuperFreakonomics
How to Win Friends and Influence People
A Short History of Nearly Everything
Secrets of Mental Math

Thanks.
One book I recommend is "The Immortal Game" by David Shenk. It is a book about the history of chess, and also covers events and persons related to chess.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:54 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I suggest:

Nassim Nicholas Taleb's The Black Swan, in which he examines the influence of highly improbable and unpredictable events that have massive impact.

Reviel Netz & William Noel: The Archimedes Codex

David Quammen: The Song of the Dodo (to be released March 15 for Kindle)
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I'm about a quarter of the way through At Home by Bill Bryson and, so far, it is very interesting. It's a history of normal things like kitchens, bedrooms and houses in general and much more interesting than you might think. For example, hundreds of years ago, it was customary to eat sitting on a bench rather than in a chair at a table. Consequently, people routinely picked up a wooden board to put their food on then sat on the bench eating off the board. Hence the term, 'room and board'
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell

and

The Meme Machine by Susan Blackmore

both explore how ideas and beliefs propagate in society.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #6
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I've already tipped this in the literary fiction section, but it seems an ideal possible for
you :- Blood Knots by Luke Jennings. On Amazon for Kindle, or epub , cetainly from Smiths and Waterstones in the UK , and I think it's in another format too.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I can honestly recommend EVERYTHING that Bill Bryson's written. He's a fantastic author.

I don't know if biographies interest you at all? If so, an excellent author is Peter Ackroyd. I've read his biographies of Shakespeare and Dickens - both very good indeed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #8
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I'm going to throw in Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea - I read quite a lot of non-fiction, and this one was easily my "best" for 2010. Stories of six defectors, rotated among the individuals cliff-hanger style regarding the decision to leave and the progress of their escape plans; honest portrayals of exactly what the North Koreans are trying to hide!

(At $9.99, I think they may have underpriced the ebook, but don't tell them that!)
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:57 PM   #9
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
I don't read a lot of non-fiction, but I enjoyed Vengeance: The True Story of an Israeli Counter-terrorist Team by George Jonas. It's the basis for Spielberg's Munich. It's a fascinating story about international intrigue, assassinations, hit-men, and the effects of such. The beginning is a bit slow, but was an interesting read.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:34 AM   #10
amybobamy
Befuddled Neophyte
amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Nook Color
I recently enjoyed Switch, by Chip Heath. About to read Drive, by Dan Pink. There's a fun video based on one of his TED lectures at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc
amybobamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:42 AM   #11
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
I really enjoyed "Sailing from Byzantium" by Colin Wells. A very readable account of how much of our culture was preserved in Byzantium,and the effect of this knowledge on so much of Europe, Russia. Not just dry history and full of fascinating characters.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:16 AM   #12
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Voyage
You could try "The Ascent of Money" by Niall Ferguson. Its a very well written book, which even a layman to finance can easily comprehend. In it he traces the path and form of money from its origin to the present day. It is full of interesting anecdotes and analysis on how Money has influenced all major historical events.
adityadubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #13
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
To intellectuals I always recommend "Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid" by Douglas Hofstadter. Not an easy read, probably took me months to finish back when, but very satisfying to me.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:50 AM   #14
vegematic
vegematic began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS350
I just finished "Packing for Mars" by Mary Roach. It's a well researched and very down to earth (irony not intended) look into how to get humans into space and keep them healthy there. There is a fair bit of potty humor so if that sort of thing puts you off you may not enjoy it as much.
-vegematic
vegematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #15
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I like history, such as books about the old west mountain men, explorers, etc. Have you considered those?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote