Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-28-2010, 07:46 AM   #1
WigglePig
%20ErrorParse$$#0fh%20
WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleKB (fixed battery!) and a new Kobo Glo!
Anyone else having trouble downloading content via Whispernet?

Afternoon all

Well, my wifi K3 arrived (yay!) and charges up fine (also yay!) but I can't get it to downloads stuff (non-yay!)

I can browse the Kindle store via wifi, select and purchase a book (done a couple) and it appears in my "Manage your Kindle" page on Amazon.co.uk but all of the books remain "pending". Have tried restarting, forced restarting, wifi on and off and on again, check & sync, etc, and spoken with the nice Amanda at the UK support line but to no avail. I can copy books (downloaded ones from Amazon too) to the Kindle from my PC and they work fine.

Any ideas?

WP
WigglePig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:53 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
None spring to mind, unfortunately. I don't think it's a problem at Amazon's end, because I've download several previously purchased books from Amazon to my K3 and they've worked fine. That's with 3G, though, not WiFi, so it's not much help to you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
ZenRunner
Enthusiast
ZenRunner has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-300
Is your Kindle registered to your account? Check your Kindle by going to Home->Menu->Settings.
ZenRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
WigglePig
%20ErrorParse$$#0fh%20
WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleKB (fixed battery!) and a new Kobo Glo!
Yep, it was registered when it arrived.

I've taken it in to town to see if it's some weird WiFi issue with my home AP.

Interestingly, my Android phone won't reliably connect with https sites over this home WiFi; I wonder if these are related?
WigglePig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:35 AM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Router firewall

Your router firewall may be blocking file downloads. Check the router properties.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #6
Erinath
Shy Philosopher
Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD+ & Kindle Keyboard (wifi only)
Last night I purchased a book from Amazon & no matter what I tried it wouldn't come down. This morning I switched on my Kindle & as soon as I stuck on wifi the book from last night flew done. I suspect Amazon's servers are struggling with the huge additional load they're experiencing due to so many people getting their Kindles at a similar time. I've noticed it's particularly unreliable when America's awake & online, even for Amazon UK (weird!).
Erinath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:59 AM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinath View Post
I've noticed it's particularly unreliable when America's awake & online, even for Amazon UK (weird!).
And they claim we Americans don't like to read!

But seriously, I think the problem WigglePig is having is a firewall issue since it also affects other devices on secure websites.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:53 PM   #8
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
I am seeing serious problems with my Whispernet in the US. I have both a K2 and just got (two hours ago) my k3. I have never had any connectivity issues with the K2, from the beginning it linked up to 3G with five bars. The K3, however, is failing. I see it link at EDGE with two or three bars and then step up to GPRS with two bars. I have not seen it reach three bars GPRS at any time nor has it managed to achieve 3G at all.

I have both sitting next to each other the K2 at 3G five bars and the K3 at EDGE and 2 bars. I am not able to connect to the Kindle Store nor transfer any content from the Archived Items. It apparently was able to make enough of a connection to get registered and to get various basic settings from Amazon.

Off to customer service. <sigh>

NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:01 PM   #9
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
Whispernet of course is Sprint. If you aren't reasonably close to a Sprint tower, you won't get a signal. Interesting though that at least one K3 does fare as well as at least one K2.

I have a Kindle 2. I don't think it even does wi-fi. I think Sprint is all it knows.

Does the K3 simulcast on Sprint and wi-fi? Is there possibly a requirement that you select one or the other?
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:11 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpilot View Post
Whispernet of course is Sprint. If you aren't reasonably close to a Sprint tower, you won't get a signal. Interesting though that at least one K3 does fare as well as at least one K2.

I have a Kindle 2. I don't think it even does wi-fi. I think Sprint is all it knows.

Does the K3 simulcast on Sprint and wi-fi? Is there possibly a requirement that you select one or the other?
Sprint is used for K1, and the original K2 and DX. The K2i, Dxi, DXg and K3 use AT&T.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:13 PM   #11
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

I checked and there is no need to set the K3 to Whispernet, it comes with that activated. The fact that I am connecting to EDGE and GPRS also confirm Whispernet connectivity.

I wonder if I need bumpers. ()

(or if the connectivity on the K3 is being provided by AT&T) ()
Old 08-28-2010, 03:15 PM   #12
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Sprint is used for K1, and the original K2 and DX. The K2i, Dxi, DXg and K3 use AT&T.
Crap. Are you sure?

Anyone got a K2 for sale? This piece of trash is being returned!
Old 08-28-2010, 03:19 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post
Crap. Are you sure?

Anyone got a K2 for sale? This piece of trash is being returned!
Yes, I'm sure.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:22 PM   #14
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo

I'm sure too, customer service confirmed it.

I am probably returning it, the cover, and the stand.

Dumb Asses!
Old 08-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #15
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Ah, well, that explains something, or maybe a lot!

I was in upstate New York last weekend and I couldn't get an ATT signal the whole time. Happily I could use the iPhone for email by piggybacking on somebody's wi-fi node.
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote