Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-12-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
gkbeer
Enthusiast
gkbeer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPod Touch,
Thumbs up Tracking of which books have been read.

On the Kindle, each book has a progress bar. When finished reading, I was in the habit of resetting the page to the cover of the book.

NO MORE.

Leaving the current page, at the end of the book, lets me scan the home pages for which books I have yet to read, or finish.

Additionally, some books have, either or both, a TOC and a cover image at the end of the book. Right where it's needed when reopening a previously read book.
gkbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I also make a habit of doing a bookmark at least once, in every book I read. That puts the book title in the My Clippings file. I copy that file to my mac, and compile a list of books I have read. (Then I delete the file on the Kindle, so it starts a fresh copy.)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2009, 06:45 PM   #3
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I haven't been actively tracking what I've been reading (I have a pretty good idea in my head) but it's definitely not a bad idea; interesting content to aggregate on personal blogs, etc.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:34 PM   #4
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
I remember by looking at the front cover page
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:49 AM   #5
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Instead of a bookmark - add a note to the first line of text in the book (something like: "Read, 02/01/09"). Then delete the book. The note is then in the clippings file, the book gone from your TBR stack (ie, anything on my kindle). Add more text in the note to give your own review, in case you want to look at the same author later or consider it for re-reading.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 02:22 PM   #6
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I've never really had a probably remembering which books i've read and which i haven't
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:51 PM   #7
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleKat View Post
I've never really had a probably remembering which books i've read and which i haven't
You must be young still! Since I started keeping track, I've read 147 books (some were short stories) on my Kindle 1 and now Kindle 2. That's since 2/1/2008. I haven't been counting how many books I've read in the 50 years before that......

In fact -- and it's usually because I haven't read it yet -- I've actually bought the same book 3 times, cause it kept looking so good. Sigh. Now I've had to find homes for the extra copies! (paper books) I think if I *had* had time to read it, I wouldn't have re-purchased, cuz I would have remembered that I'd read it. Clear as mud?!
Old 03-13-2009, 03:27 PM   #8
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I was surprised to discover a few years ago that my mother has a journal wherein she's kept a list of every book she's ever read... since 1960 or so.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:35 PM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Trying to keep track of (and remember) which ones I have already read is a neverending pain to me. I can rembmer the stories, but for the life of me can't remember titles and authors.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:37 PM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
I was surprised to discover a few years ago that my mother has a journal wherein she's kept a list of every book she's ever read... since 1960 or so.
That's a treasure for sure. Have you discovered if you have reading interests in common? Has her list piqued your interest in reading some of her faves, just to see what she was thinking at that time?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:29 PM   #11
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
That's a treasure for sure. Have you discovered if you have reading interests in common? Has her list piqued your interest in reading some of her faves, just to see what she was thinking at that time?
Not particularly. She's not much into fantasy or sci-fi. And there was certainly an idea in the 60s and 70s what was "acceptable" for a woman to read. She loves romances and anything to do with horses. And classics like Gone With the Wind. The only places we overlap are historical fiction... we both read the Clan of the Cave Bear series, and she has a newfound love for modern King Arthur books.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:41 PM   #12
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Since I still read a significant number of paper books, I keep a file on my laptop with information on each book I read. Here are the entries for the first two books I read this year:
Code:
1. The Host, Stephenie Meyer (31 Dec - 2 Jan, Kindle) (SF) 528 pages : 528
2. Miss Julia Strikes Back, Ann B Ross (2-3 Jan, TP) (Li) 339 pages : 867
Each line contains the book title, author, dates read, format, genre, number of pages, and a running total of pages read. For electronic books, I take the page count from the Mass-Market Paperback edition if available. For electronic book, I log additional information:
Code:
 4. Fortune and Fate, Sharon Shinn (6 Jan - 11 Jan, Kindle) -- purchased 1 Jan 2009 @ Amazon ($9.99)
 5. Neptune Crossing, Jeffrey Carver (11 Jan - 12 Jan, Sony) -- downloaded from author's site; PayPal contribution to author
Again, each line has the title, author, dates and format. Then I note the source of the book and purchase price (if any).

When reading a book on the Kindle, I create a note at the first line of the book saying "started reading on ...". When I finish the book, I update the note with the date I completed reading. I also use the highlight feature to capture quotes for reviews.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:21 AM   #13
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad

There was a time when all I had to do was look at the cover of a book, and I would remember whether I had read the book of not. That doesn't always happen now however. Am I getting old?? Is my memory fading?? That's why I wish the 'delete' button on my Cybook worked, so I could delete each book when I finished reading it. Now I just jot down the name of the books when I'm finished reading them and delete them in little groups of six to ten books at a time.

Slan
Mag.
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:28 AM   #14
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie May View Post
There was a time when all I had to do was look at the cover of a book, and I would remember whether I had read the book of not. That doesn't always happen now however. Am I getting old?? Is my memory fading?? That's why I wish the 'delete' button on my Cybook worked, so I could delete each book when I finished reading it. Now I just jot down the name of the books when I'm finished reading them and delete them in little groups of six to ten books at a time.
My mother was known to throw a temper-tantrum when she'd buy a new book and discover that she'd already read it. The reason why she thought it was a new book was because she didn't recognize the cover. She kept insisting that it was wrong of the publisher to reissue the book in a new cover as she remembered covers but not titles. Me? I keep lists and *still* buy the occasional duplicate.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:03 PM   #15
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Me? I keep lists and *still* buy the occasional duplicate.
My list keeping got a bit sloppy for a while. I wound up with *3* copies of the same book, all because I hadn't yet read it. I would have remembered, if I had read it. Instead, I kept passing the book, and saying Oooo that looks good --- Gotta have it!