Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
hermano
Connoisseur
hermano began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen 3
GEN 3 Urgent help needed

Yes, strange but true, urgent help needed with my gen 3. have had it for years...well march 2008...only problem was battery which I changed some months ago..and worked perfect since..used everyday....but..

just switched it on and was given language selection screen...then it went off..tried a few times...same. Battery is indicating as full...and when 'plugged' into pc via usb I am given the option of formatting the disk...but cannot open it...to access my books.

Urgency is I have just loaded it with books as off travelling on friday.....

any help?

thanks
hermano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
What happens if you delete these books again?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
hermano
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
What happens if you delete these books again?
At the minute... no books at all. I switch on..asks what language then I get library with 'no items'....

battery is 100%

When usb to pc the drive comes up, but when I click on the drive I get the message 'reformat drive'...won't allow me to open, therefore cannot load books.
What would happen if i reformatted...would it still work? What about the operating system?

aaaahhh!!!
Old 06-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, it could be that your file system is corrupted. You can do a scandisk check or try to format the device and then install the firmware anew.

Does this thread help you, especially the last post?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=173252
Old 06-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
hermano
Connoisseur

thanks, will give it a try...then check on bookeen to see if they still do gen 3 software
Advert
Old 06-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
hermano
Connoisseur

damn..."cannot disk check as this disk is not formatted"...guess I will have to try reinstalling firmware..and praying...but I have no idea how this happened...
Old 06-27-2012, 02:40 AM   #7
hermano
Connoisseur

update

Thanks for your advice etc...had to reformat disk in the end...reinstall the software, which is still available at bookeen website...and all okay.

Trying to recall what books were on there and whereabouts in particular series of books is another thing....

let's hope my Gen3 has some more years in her yet...
Old 06-27-2012, 06:16 AM   #8
Billi
Wizard

Glad that it worked!

(Hope the same for my Gen3 who didn't show any "diseases" until now.)
Old 06-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Glad you got it sorted.

The most common cause of a corrupt filesystem is disconnecting the USB connection without doing a "Safely Remove Hardware" first. Always, ALWAYS, use the "Safely Remove Hardware" too before disconnecting the USB cable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #10
hermano
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Glad you got it sorted.

The most common cause of a corrupt filesystem is disconnecting the USB connection without doing a "Safely Remove Hardware" first. Always, ALWAYS, use the "Safely Remove Hardware" too before disconnecting the USB cable.

I'm not convinced that is what happened, but at least it 'forced' me into format and putting on new software, which works a treat. I now get nice pictures on 'standby'...never even hand standby before....

I will change e reader some day, but not just yet as my gen 3 is doing all i need of it...

thanks all for advice and support..