Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-31-2007, 01:33 PM   #1
skell
skell began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Just received a Sony Reader...

Hi there everyone

I just got given a Sony Reader after a friend of mine picked one up for me while in America. However, I quickly discovered that because I live in the UK, and therefore don't have a valid US credit card, I can't purchase bugger all from the Sony Connect website

What are my options here? Are there any e-book stores compatible with the Sony Reader? Is there a way to defeat yet another pointless exercise from Sony? Or do I have a rather expensive paper-weight sitting on my desk until they decide to release it over here?

Many thanks and apologies if this has been asked before!
skell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:40 PM   #2
heb
Enthusiast
heb began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Welcome to the club, I am also in the UK and ordered a reader off EBay.

Fictionwise supply content preformated for the reader. The reader will natively support RTF documents so any content in HTML can be pasted into word and saved as an RTF for a quick and dirty conversion. You can also purchase .LIT based content and convert it using tools like convert lit.

Sony are due to officially launch the Reader in the UK next year so you should be able to get content more easily then.

Theres plenty of info on the forum about converting content if you look around and even a section with free books. If you want older books then Project Gutenburg is also worth a look.
heb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2007, 01:49 PM   #3
skell

Hi, and thanks for the nice welcome

What about encrypted ebooks? I downloaded a PDF file from ebooks.com, and it has DRM on it which obviously, the reader cant err... read. Is there anyway around this, or am I limited to free, non-commercial texts for the time being?
Old 10-31-2007, 01:56 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by skell View Post
Hi, and thanks for the nice welcome

What about encrypted ebooks? I downloaded a PDF file from ebooks.com, and it has DRM on it which obviously, the reader cant err... read. Is there anyway around this, or am I limited to free, non-commercial texts for the time being?
What I'm doing for my books, besides classics (which I can get here), is getting the .lit version & using ConvertLit along with lit2lrf (through the libprs500 GUI) to convert them to .lrf's For stuff from Webscriptions you can get the .lit & just do the lit2lrf part since those books aren't DRM'd. You can also get some .lrf books from Fictionwise as part of some of their 'Mulitformat' selections.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:13 PM   #5
wmrawls
Connoisseur
wmrawls began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Dell Axim X50V
Well a lot of the books I download from Baen I just leave as text and the 505 reads them quite well. I find no need to convert them to lrf.
Just my .02 cents worth.
wmrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2007, 03:56 PM   #6
andyafro
Connoisseur
andyafro doesn't litterandyafro doesn't litter

Device: sony reader prs-500
you can use US sony site just join you don't need to enter credit card information or your address, its easy to join and you should be able to use what ever credit offer you got witht he reader
andyafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:13 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmrawls View Post
Well a lot of the books I download from Baen I just leave as text and the 505 reads them quite well.
I did the same thing for a long time, I just bumped up the font size and was off to the races.

I eventually switched over to converting them via BookDesigner to take advantage of cover art and header/footers. I don't do anything fancy like Tables of Contents, so the time investment is minimal, and of course I keep the RTF files as my archive copies.

Next time I go on a conversion bender, I'm thinking of trying HTML2LRF or LIT2LRF, to see if one of them might give me similar results with less trouble.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:33 PM   #8
heb
Enthusiast
heb began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
There are conversion tools for PDF but I am trying to figure them out at the moment!

I'm not sure you will be able to convert an encrypted PDF with DRM on it. If you look in the content subforum there are two tools called pdf2lrf and pdftolrf. One is part of libprs which converts quite a few formats to the readers native LRF.

Both have GUI's available for Windows so they are easy to pickup and play with.

Richard.
heb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:35 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I think you may mean pdf2lrf and pdflrf (no "to").
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:44 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Neither pdf2lrf nor pdflrf will convert encrypted PDFs. Password protected, yes. Encrypted no.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 06:53 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So we can get password protected PDFs converted?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:33 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I would imagine so, since it's entirely up to the pdf reader software whether to honor passwords or not. I've never actually tried with a password protected PDF, but I'm pretty confident it'd work.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:05 AM   #13
skell

Thanks everyone, you've given me plenty to get stuck into
Old 12-08-2007, 12:10 PM   #14
Lug
Lug began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader
Gutenberg books

Try http://manybooks.net/

I'm in a similar situation and I've been able to download many out of copyright material from there. You just have to download the Sony .lrf version of the books. They seem to work just fine...
Lug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:57 PM   #15
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
The Sony Connect Store insists on a US credit card. However, you may still collect any initial credit or free books on offer, simply by just not filling in the section on credit card details when you register your reader online with them.
In addition, a forum member, Leaping Gnome, very kindly offers to buy Sony Connect gift vouchers for non-US owners. He will accept Paypal.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote