Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Thumbs up WOW! A Promotion!

Did anyone notice? We're no longer in the OTHER eBook reader list!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
goinveg
Enthusiast
goinveg began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Entourage eDGe DualBook
goinveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
mreclass
Enthusiast
mreclass began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
How neat! When I first came across this site looking for Kobo-related material, I was surprised that it was under the More E-Book Readers list. Well, I suppose it shouldn't have been a huge surprise seeing as how it is still quite new in comparison to the other established eReaders.

Let's keep the information flowing!
mreclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I hope it continues to be worthy of this elevated status! I think we'll soon see a dying-off of a lot of readers and I fervently hope the Kobo stays around!
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
mreclass
Enthusiast
mreclass began at the beginning.

Do you think the dying-off will occur because of their age or better prices? Or perhaps you think this for reasons unknown to me. I'm just curious.
mreclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #6
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: kobo
Best wishes to kobo !!!
Congratulations!
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #7
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

It's a real eReader now! Woohooo!!!
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #8
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... Do you think the dying-off will occur because of their age or better prices?

The Borders-marketed kobo in the US *has* to come down in price. Yes, it is only $150 with a $20 gift cert and about $10 in Borders Rewards. But one still has to spend $150 up front.

I am not complaining about what I paid for my first kobo. But with a WiFi unit NOW at the same retail price from someone else ... and the Kindle2 at just the price of three or four books more than a kobo ...

SO, IMHO, the kobo will fade away if Borders maintains the $150 price point. $119.95 with double Rewards points is what the market demands ... at least today ... (g).
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #9
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
On behalf of Kobo, thanks to the MobileRead moderators and community for the bump. We have no intension of going anywhere but up from here!
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:32 PM   #10
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
It's a fine thing, really.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:54 AM   #11
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
I think we'll soon see a dying-off of a lot of readers...
Gosh. Not in literal terms, I hope. Is this a result of prolonged exposure to eInk?
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #12
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by corona View Post
Gosh. Not in literal terms, I hope. Is this a result of prolonged exposure to eInk?
Failure to properly hydrate during extended reading sessions.

Seriously, I think that the price war is going to hit those companies who need a healthy profit margin to survive. I see most reading devices as a commodity, the thing you need to read your ebooks, rather than a "hot" or "cool" item that you pay a premium for. Those devices that aren't attached to a bookstore, that don't have ebook sales as a revenue stream, are going to have a hard time producing a device that competes on price and returns a profit.

If I were in charge of marketing the Kobo, I would look for opportunities for product placement in media. Not that it has to be woven into a storyline, but if a character could simply be seen reading a Kobo when the doorbell rings, that would be priceless exposure.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:44 AM   #13
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
It was about time. Kobo is a much serious player on the ebook market than let's say Astak, Bokeen, iRex... that have their own sections...
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:50 AM   #14
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
Failure to properly hydrate during extended reading sessions.

Seriously, I think that the price war is going to hit those companies who need a healthy profit margin to survive. I see most reading devices as a commodity, the thing you need to read your ebooks, rather than a "hot" or "cool" item that you pay a premium for. Those devices that aren't attached to a bookstore, that don't have ebook sales as a revenue stream, are going to have a hard time producing a device that competes on price and returns a profit.

If I were in charge of marketing the Kobo, I would look for opportunities for product placement in media. Not that it has to be woven into a storyline, but if a character could simply be seen reading a Kobo when the doorbell rings, that would be priceless exposure.
You're right. I kinda feel sorry for the smaller players on the market that make great devices, such as Onyx, BeBook, PocketBook.... But the thing that matter the most at the end is price and availability. I was also thinking of one of those smaller companies, but the limited availability and high prices made me choose Kobo and Nook in the end.
But if the market follows the trends of the mp3 player market, we still might be in for a few surprises. Lower market share players had to eventually decrease their prices to the iPod level while maintaining their superior feature advantage. Let's see what happens. I think the less "corporate" readers will continue to sell in Europe and places where Amazon, Borders and B&N have not penetrated yet...
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:35 AM   #15
kiwikobo
Enthusiast
kiwikobo doesn't litterkiwikobo doesn't litter

The smaller players are always going to struggle just because of name recognition -- would you buy an electronic device from a company that might well disappear tomorrow? Of course the stronger names will do better, which is why Amazon, Sony, Apple, B&N have a chance. The Kobo exists because of Borders (or Whitcoulls over here) and that gives it a kudos that a no-name will never have. At least we stand a good chance that we *could* take a Kobo back and the store will still be there next month.

But I think you're right about the price. In NZ the Kobo has it easy (there is no alternative book reader available). But one of these days someone's going to bring out a cheaper one with similar features (or at least with the battery/power issue fixed). I'm waiting for someone to bring out a plain-jane large-screen model using the new Kindle display but without all the 3G/Wifi/keyboard/bezel width nonsense. I want to read books, lots of books, on a lightweight small reader with the largest possible screen size. But of course I don't want to be tied to any one online method of vaguely renting books, so it would have to be able to read epub and pdf files (which a larger screen should be able to display reasonably well). I'm sure we'll get these one day, but I'm concerned that companies are trying to build in more and more features instead of just sticking with the basics.
kiwikobo is offline   Reply With Quote