Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #46
Nosediver
Nosediver began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo mini
Thanks for the response. Granted, while some of the files are from, shall we say less than legitimate sources, a lot were purchased online. It doesn't seem to matter the source, these glitches are affecting any book not downloaded from Kobo, whether they are .mobi, PDFs or whatever.

I'll try the Calibre method, but as far as I remember the reader won't read epubs.
Nosediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:07 AM   #47
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosediver View Post
Thanks for the response. Granted, while some of the files are from, shall we say less than legitimate sources, a lot were purchased online. It doesn't seem to matter the source, these glitches are affecting any book not downloaded from Kobo, whether they are .mobi, PDFs or whatever.

I'll try the Calibre method, but as far as I remember the reader won't read epubs.
Whether they are .mobi or PDFs? Hah, I should have asked what file format you were using. .mobi were initially not officially supported by the new Kobo range. Some .mobi work, others don't. PDFs aren't formatted and don't reflow: again, Kobo does exactly what it's told and shows you the exact way the PDF was made.

Epubs are most definitely supported! In fact, they are the main format to use when sideloading! You might be confused with Kindle: Kindle only supports .mobi.

So that might be your problem. I'm positive converting to epub, especially if you do it with Calibre, will solve your problem
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #48
domani7
Enthusiast
domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: nook
Mu understanding is that the default is for the reader to display the cover of the book you were last reading when not in use. Is there any way to change this if you don't want to display the cover of the book you're reading?
domani7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #49
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by domani7 View Post
Mu understanding is that the default is for the reader to display the cover of the book you were last reading when not in use. Is there any way to change this if you don't want to display the cover of the book you're reading?
Yes, I have this turned off. Some of the covers aren't the best.

And I dread someone getting hold of my Kobo which might be proudly displaying an Enid Blyton or an A. N. Roquelaure. Or a Twilight book or something.

My Kobo has a sleeping KOBO graphic and says SLEEP MODE. Much better.

Look under Settings > Light Sleep & Power > uncheck the 'Show Current Bookcover' in the Screensaver part.

Last edited by Liesse; 04-26-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #50
domani7
Enthusiast
domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesse View Post
Yes, I have this turned off. Some of the covers aren't the best.

And I dread someone getting hold of my Kobo which might be proudly displaying an Enid Blyton or an A. N. Roquelaure. Or a Twilight book or something.

My Kobo has a sleeping KOBO graphic and says SLEEP MODE. Much better.

Look under Settings > Light Sleep & Power > uncheck the 'Show Current Bookcover' in the Screensaver part.
Thanks! I'm switching from the Nook Simple Touch and I kind of enjoyed the nature scenes. Makes sense the cover part is optional because being able to read romance in public without people seeing the covers is a major draw of an ereader. I mean, I imagine. For a friend.
domani7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #51
drew2720
Connoisseur
drew2720 began at the beginning.

Device: K2i, K3, DXG, PW2, Sony prs650/350,KoboMini/AuraHD
Just got my kobo aura and downloaded some library books thru Adobe Digital...no cover images on the aura. I have no problem downloading library books with cover pictures on my kobo mini. Tried reloading..same thing. The aura has a full charge and the latest software (2.5.1). Any ideas?
drew2720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #52
zztush
Connoisseur
zztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad, iPod and NintendoDS
Thumbs up How to wipe touch screen during read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztush View Post
How do you dust Kobo Touch's screen during read? I often blow it instead of wipe.
Sleep is the best way to wipe dust on wipe screen.
zztush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #53
breeskies
breeskies began at the beginning.

Device: samsug galaxy
not sure if anyone has asked this before but I purchased a book through kobo onto my tablet and I read about a chapter maybe and now it wont open and says 'this book is not yet available in the proper format for reading on this device. You may download and read this book using our desktop software, or check back at a later date'. I also just noticed other books I purchased are indented saying not yet available with the same message.

Has anyone else ever had this problem and know how to fix. I just want to be able to read what I bought on my tablet
breeskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:17 AM   #54
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
P.S. A regular on these forums has the exact same avatar as you do! Very confusing!
You thought it was confusing? I nearly had a breakdown thinking I had an online split personality disorder when I saw the Avatar and read a post I knew I'd not written! ROTFLMAO!

Funny how one's eye goes to the icon.

Last edited by TechniSol; 05-29-2013 at 01:22 AM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:16 PM   #55
Arkon
Arkon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
How do I update the firmware? Simply by connecting it with the pc and doing the automatic procedure?
Arkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:42 PM   #56
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkon View Post
How do I update the firmware? Simply by connecting it with the pc and doing the automatic procedure?
Connecting to a PC and doing a sync with the desktop software or doing a wireless sync both should get you any updates. HOWEVER - Kobo rolls out new updates on a staggered basis (not sure what the criteria is, but it's not by country/region per-se) so you may not get it on the 1st sync attempt.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:26 AM   #57
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question

A question. I've seen several "Kobo ereader.conf" settings scattered through different threads, but I haven't found a full compilation (or just a compilation).

Is there one anywhere?
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #58
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
A lot of them are in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=218376. They are only ones that people found by looking at the binaries in the firmware. Most of the others are reasonably descriptive.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #59
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
A lot of them are in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=218376. They are only ones that people found by looking at the binaries in the firmware. Most of the others are reasonably descriptive.
Thanks!!!

Now that I know what I was looking for, I've just noticed that the link appears in the List of Tweaks thread
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:44 AM   #60
kobotux
kobotux began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
I was wondering... Is there a way to come here, read this forum from kobo's browser ? Mine doesn't like it, it seems and regularly crashes.. So much resources here that can be downloaded right through the browser. this way would be nice
kobotux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
faq, kobo, problem, question, wiki