Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: How often has your T1 crashed/frozen? (after using it at least 3 days)
Once 38 23.60%
2-3 times 26 16.15%
More than 3 times 35 21.74%
Never 62 38.51%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #76
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 View Post
What features are being bypassed? I library lend via device and read my books via sdcard without issues. I'm not trying to argue, just understand what issues others are having....
It's a touch screen. One of the ways to avoid the screen freeze is to turn pages by the buttons and not swipe the screen. The expectation is you should be able to swipe and never touch the buttons if that is your preferred method. That is a major advantage of the touch screen to many people. Some ereaders don't even have page turn buttons as an option.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:37 PM   #77
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
According to sonymod_mb, the reader requires service.

https://forum.sel.sony.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=11379

So does that mean don't expect a firmware update to correct this? Some are holding tight waiting for a fix.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:53 PM   #78
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
It's a touch screen. One of the ways to avoid the screen freeze is to turn pages by the buttons and not swipe the screen. The expectation is you should be able to swipe and never touch the buttons if that is your preferred method. That is a major advantage of the touch screen to many people. Some ereaders don't even have page turn buttons as an option.
I suppose ill start trying turning pages only with touchscreen to see if I get the error too.
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #79
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
The CSO I spoke to at Sony AU had no idea there was an issue with the T1. I could put that down to being non tech support though...

She did say however that if there was an issue they certainly replace the ereader.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #80
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
The CSO I spoke to at Sony AU had no idea there was an issue with the T1. I could put that down to being non tech support though...

She did say however that if there was an issue they certainly replace the ereader.
Of course they will. They did for me ...twice. I still had the flipping pages & freezing. On all 3 of the readers I got from them.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #81
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
So does that mean don't expect a firmware update to correct this? Some are holding tight waiting for a fix.
It's code for there is no fix on the near horizon. I'm sure that it will be one coming, but it's not imminent. You would think though with the amount of time that passed before they responded, they could have come up with something a little bit better.

Whenever people don't get a decent explanation of a problem, especially consumers, the gaps in their explanation will be filled by consumers in ways that may not be advantageous to the company. That's why I say it is always better to admit a mistake and say right upfront what the strategy will be. Maybe not everyone will agree with the strategy, but at least the word will get out that something at least is being done. This inaction will not be taken well - aty least not by me. YMMV.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:42 PM   #82
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I have mixed opinions of the Sony Support response. I think that Sony appears to be making more of an effort on customer service since the T1 came out. They provided a quick and easy response. I don't know that it provides an informed, specific answer to a specific problem. I think that there are too many global issues that have been linked together. Some people are having a force-close application error and general crashes. I have not had that problem so I can't comment. Other people have touch screen freezes. Some people might actually have faulty hardware since no product has perfect reliability. Since the firmware is version 1.0 and different from past models, it likely has some bugs to work out too.

Quote:
I suppose ill start trying turning pages only with touchscreen to see if I get the error too.
I suspect that many more people have this issue with the touch-screen freeze and just haven't discovered it yet. If I didn't read periodicals, then I would think my T1 was just fine. My freezes are happening when I read a periodical. I am on my 4th book and 2nd short story with the T1. I have only had one unintentional freeze while reading a book (which was when I was traveling in a car and reading in a way that is not typical for me). All other freezes were intentionally created to see if I could replicate the problem.

I think that you are less likely to experience this problem if your reading process varies as follows:
  1. You alternate periodically between swipes and buttons to turn pages, or you use buttons only.
  2. You use the dictionary pop-up to open the dictionary application. Not just read the pop-up at the bottom of the screen but look at the full definition because that triggers a command to open the dictionary application and then go back to the book viewer. The pop-up only is still within the book environment.
  3. You use the word pop-up to open the browser to look at Wikipedia or google.
  4. Freezes are happening between 20-45 minutes for me. So if you are not reading for prolonged periods of time before exiting the book, then I don't think you'll experience the issue.
  5. You let the ereader go to sleep while you are reading.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:45 PM   #83
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
Of course they will. They did for me ...twice. I still had the flipping pages & freezing. On all 3 of the readers I got from them.
I mentioned that. She said that returns would be honoured.

Fair enough, but no fix as yet.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:50 PM   #84
CedroRosso
Enthusiast
CedroRosso began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
For what its worth, my replacement still hasn't had any real problems, whereas my initial device froze about once every other day.
CedroRosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:00 AM   #85
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedroRosso View Post
For what its worth, my replacement still hasn't had any real problems, whereas my initial device froze about once every other day.
What do you mean by freezing? Getting stuck on the home page or on a page in a book or do you mean the flipping page freeze thing? Just trying to understand if there are different types of freezing.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:03 AM   #86
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
What features are being bypassed? I library lend via device and read my books via sdcard without issues. I'm not trying to argue, just understand what issues others are having....
Read through this topic.
The primary concern is the reader is freezing when using touch screen for page turn, so people resort to using buttons. Some, think that it is OK. As long as the buttons work and the reader doesn't freeze it is not a big issue. I disgree with this attitude. Although, I am more disappointed with Sony lowering their quality standard. With Sony, I used to think that I pay a premium price for a premium item. Seems it is not the case anymore.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:15 AM   #87
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Read through this topic.
The primary concern is the reader is freezing when using touch screen for page turn, so people resort to using buttons. Some, think that it is OK. As long as the buttons work and the reader doesn't freeze it is not a big issue. I disgree with this attitude. Although, I am more disappointed with Sony lowering their quality standard. With Sony, I used to think that I pay a premium price for a premium item. Seems it is not the case anymore.
Just curious - do you have a t1?

I understand people are having issues, but I think its important to realize as well others aren't. Calling the product a disaster is a bit extreme in my mind. I use the touchscreen to turn pages maybe only 20% of the time - however, I'm not using buttons to avoid crashing, just the buttons are my preferred way of turning pages.

I've had a little over 1000 books on mine without issues, have had zero problems with browsing the local library and checking out books from the reader, and have downloaded books from the browser from various websites without issue. In all honesty, I would say this is one of the best ereaders I've used (and I've used more than just a few).

So people (especially ones who don't own it) tossing their hands up and calling it a disaster I don't understand. Sorry to the ones who own it and are having issues, I don't know if its usage habits or bad units that differ between us, but I hope it gets fixed for you guys.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:31 AM   #88
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
No, I don't.

I either have to call who report the issues here liars or believe them. I choose the latter.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:46 AM   #89
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
I've found that if I swipe in the middle of the screen (as opposed to the bottom) then I don't have a problem with either freezing or crashing.

As somebody else said earlier, this appears to be more of a design fault than a software fault. It appears that the page turn swipe, may be looping with the dictionary function or page search, if you are swiping at the bottom of the screen.

If the page search and/or dictionary functions were moved to the top of the screen then the occurrence of 'crashes' and 'freezes' may be drastically reduced.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:47 AM   #90
David58117
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
No, I don't.

I either have to call who report the issues here liars or believe them. I choose the latter.
Or...you could go with the "some have issues, some don't" option rather than the "all or nothing" you seem to be set on.

Oh, look! This just happens to be a poll thread, and 45% who responded claimed no crashing! Isn't your "call them liars" stance calling those 45% liars....?

My opinion is that there are probably defective batches out there, probably a bug as well where usage pattern comes into play, I really don't know. Ill try the swipe only method and see if I get crashes. But...I own it, I haven't had the problems stated, and "a disaster" from someone who doesn't own it, is a bit much in my mind.