Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
3G or not to 3G, that is my question, help! :)

I have ordered the wifi only version as I am at home most of the time, I got it in time for the release date delivery........

trouble is, it just keeps nagging at me that I may one day need the 3G and will be so annoyed at getting the wifi only one......very rare but possible. What would you do?

If I go with wifi only I get it on release, if I go with the 3G, I know I have all bases covered, but will have to wait longer.
If it arrived 4th Sept no worries, my concern is if the date slips further, due to manufacture shortage or shipping delays. I have seen popular stuff like this sell out then not restock for months before.
So, wifi on release, or 3G later, possibly even more delayed. So annoyed at myself as I originally did order the 3G then cancelled to get wifi only thinking I really didn't need it, still don't, just thinking it may come in handy......all this too-ing and fro-ing is driving me mad !! I was okay-ish with my decision till it sold out then I started kicking myself LOL Typical woman, always wanting what I can't have
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
Mitch G
Connoisseur
Mitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
Try out the wifi version and if you find yourself missing the 3G in practice then give it to a niece and buy the 3G version.
Mitch G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I am looking to get a kindle without 3G I do not see any reason that I need it. And I am not in a rush for one. I read my books at this time on kindle4pc using my netbook and it works just fine. But I am planning a vacation that I would just soon not have to even take the netbook and having the new kindle would be great.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
My advice - go in and put in your order for WiFi + 3G now ... don't cancel the Wi Fi yet. Think it over for a couple of days and then cancel the one you don't want. I only say this because those expected delivery dates are only going to slip further and further back and you won't be charged for either Kindle until they ship.

As for what do I think. I'd advise you to buy the one that fits your life now. Historically Kindles hold their resale values very well and prices on new models are dropping like rocks. If you ever do find yourself really needing 3G, then you can sell your K3 and buy a new model.

Its up to you though. 3G is nice. I personally like having 3G, but if I had to live without it I certainly could ... and it wouldn't effect my reading or book availability on the Kindle all that much. I do most of my eBook shopping over my computer anyway, not the Kindle.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

thanks for all your comments guys, it really helps

I think I would only ever need the wifi, as I have never taken any of my Sony's out the house! Im too scared of breaking the delicate screens to throw one in my bag, hence why I originally went for the wifi only. I just keep reading people saying the 3G is a no brainer, as its a one off fee and I may well need it once or twice. I guess its a combination of wondering if I'll kick myself for not having it and being pushed by others arguments. I doubt I will ever really need the 3G, I have 100's and 100's of ebook for my Sonys, plenty to convert for the Kindle anyway.

As I am in the UK there is only the graphite one available. I did ask them if they would stock the white later in the year, they said there were no plans to stock it. If they did I would happily get the graphite wifi now and then the white 3G later on. After all I bought the Sony 505 in silver then again in red, then the 600 in black only a year later LOL

I am trying to talk myself into being sensible and stick with the wifi and save £40 for books..................but its that little niggle that says its better to do an extra £40 now and get the full experience......aaarrghhhhhhh
Old 08-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
babyd
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
My advice - go in and put in your order for WiFi + 3G now ... don't cancel the Wi Fi yet. Think it over for a couple of days and then cancel the one you don't want. I only say this because those expected delivery dates are only going to slip further and further back and you won't be charged for either Kindle until they ship.

As for what do I think. I'd advise you to buy the one that fits your life now. Historically Kindles hold their resale values very well and prices on new models are dropping like rocks. If you ever do find yourself really needing 3G, then you can sell your K3 and buy a new model.

Its up to you though. 3G is nice. I personally like having 3G, but if I had to live without it I certainly could ... and it wouldn't effect my reading or book availability on the Kindle all that much. I do most of my eBook shopping over my computer anyway, not the Kindle.

Yeah, I have just ordered the 3G one and will think it over some more.........as for what fits me now, well the wifi does, as I never really need to use it outside the house...plus I have tons of ebooks unread anyway, but the woman in me also likes instant gratification, the wifi can do that at home, but what if i did ever take it out and just had to have a book now.........but then again, I do have the Kindle app on my android phone, so that gives me the 3G access to buy, sample, wiki web browse.............

I think the wifi is probably fine, I will just have to live with the 'what if' feelings lol
Old 08-03-2010, 11:05 AM   #7
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
I got the wi-fi only for a few reasons:
  1. I used mobipocket on a cellphone for a couple of years and only purchased one book via the cellphone.
  2. 3G coverage can be unstable in areas and irritating to use.
  3. I don't plan on buying many books from amazon (I almost got burned on my mobipocket purchases, luckily there was a way to strip the DRM)
  4. I do have the option of connecting the kindle to my netbook and use that for 3G access.
  5. Using the 3G shortens batterylife quite dramaticly.
  6. The Wi-Fi only is a couple of grams lighter.
  7. I figure the less thechnology, fewer things can be broken.
  8. I try to avoid feature-creep when buying new gadgets and computers, because I'll replace them soon enough anyway (Although fear of loss is hard to resist).
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #8
babyd
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovare View Post
I got the wi-fi only for a few reasons:
  1. I used mobipocket on a cellphone for a couple of years and only purchased one book via the cellphone.
  2. 3G coverage can be unstable in areas and irritating to use.
  3. I don't plan on buying many books from amazon (I almost got burned on my mobipocket purchases, luckily there was a way to strip the DRM)
  4. I do have the option of connecting the kindle to my netbook and use that for 3G access.
  5. Using the 3G shortens batterylife quite dramaticly.
  6. The Wi-Fi only is a couple of grams lighter.
  7. I figure the less thechnology, fewer things can be broken.
  8. I try to avoid feature-creep when buying new gadgets and computers, because I'll replace them soon enough anyway (Although fear of loss is hard to resist).

oooh, you see, I agree with all you said, I had many of the same reasons for getting wifi........ it really would just be for the very occasional convenience that I would use 3G, it is not a necessity......plus, as you can see from my Sony readers, i do tend to buy them yearly anyway.....I guess, if I really, really missed the 3G, then I could get a new one next year, especially if the UK eventually stock the white one too.

My sensible head tells me wifi is more than enough and I save some cash and some battery life. I will never need a books that badly that I can't wait till I get home.

My female head tells me, but what if I regret it and wish I had 3G, even if I will never use it.....

'wifi is fine, wifi is fine, wifi is fine' <keeps chanting new mantra>
Old 08-03-2010, 01:18 PM   #9
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Imagine this scenario: you are reading a book on your laptop. Later that day you are out somewhere where there is no wifi and you decide to grab your Kindle and read the same book for a while. But without 3G your book will not sync to the furthest page read.

Since I read all the time on my iPad, laptop, and my Kindle, the extra $50 to assure me that they are always synced is worth it for me. I didn't get 3G on my iPad and really regret it.
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #10
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
I would say for the price difference of $50 is worth getting the 3G. If the price difference were $100 or more then no.

Of course, there are arguments against purchasing the 3G version as well that have already been mentioned. If you don't think you are going to need it then get the WiFi-only model.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #11
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
I struggled with this decision also and in the end, opted for the 3G. My rationals was to replicate what I have now with my K2. I travel for my job and sometimes WiFi is sketchy or unavailable. I don't want to always have to find a hotspot or pop into a Mickey D's or Starbucks just to download a book. I figured I would rather have the 3G and not use it all the time then to need it and not have it. Hope that makes sense but I do sympathize with you because I went back and forth on the issue also before ordering. I am content that I ordered the right one.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:45 PM   #12
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
While browsing the Kindle store (on my Kindle) a few minutes ago, I saw that a couple of games are now available, free. I downloaded them so I can try them out because I'm having a slow day here at work. :-)

I like having 3G.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #13
babyd
Addict

well I emailed Amazon about the sept 4th date and to see how definite that was with current orders. They replied saying that it was subject to change, they hoped it would ship then but they could not be certain and any delays to the date would be shown on the site, so it looks like I may go for the wi-fi one after all, I just don't want to go for 3G and then end up waiting weeks and weeks after the wi-fi one could have been in my hands.....

will still keep both ordered, just in case though......
Old 08-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #14
babyd
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
I struggled with this decision also and in the end, opted for the 3G. My rationals was to replicate what I have now with my K2. I travel for my job and sometimes WiFi is sketchy or unavailable. I don't want to always have to find a hotspot or pop into a Mickey D's or Starbucks just to download a book. I figured I would rather have the 3G and not use it all the time then to need it and not have it. Hope that makes sense but I do sympathize with you because I went back and forth on the issue also before ordering. I am content that I ordered the right one.
I really am struggling with it, silly but true. Oh the joys of gadgets
Old 08-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #15
babyd
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
While browsing the Kindle store (on my Kindle) a few minutes ago, I saw that a couple of games are now available, free. I downloaded them so I can try them out because I'm having a slow day here at work. :-)

I like having 3G.
ooh, this is sounding better all the time