Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-08-2010, 04:42 AM   #1
zardoz73
zardoz73 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Question about the Nook's wifi registration.

I'm living in Japan and I bought a Nook online and had it sent to my sister in the U.S. She's coming to visit next month and will bring it with her. One way to get around the international shipping!

But I've been watching a few Nook videos on YouTube and it seems I need to register the Nook with B&N over WiFi...or do I? I actually don't plan on buying any books from their website, I have some books on my computer as well as public domain classics and the like that I'll sideload rather than download.

Japan has WiFi, of course, but I don't know if registration will be possible from here to the B&N site. Would it be better for my sister to unbox the Nook--which is sitting unopened in her living room--and register it while in the U.S.? Or is it perfectly possible to use the Nook without registering it?
zardoz73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:03 AM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by zardoz73 View Post
I'm living in Japan and I bought a Nook online and had it sent to my sister in the U.S. She's coming to visit next month and will bring it with her. One way to get around the international shipping!

But I've been watching a few Nook videos on YouTube and it seems I need to register the Nook with B&N over WiFi...or do I? I actually don't plan on buying any books from their website, I have some books on my computer as well as public domain classics and the like that I'll sideload rather than download.

Japan has WiFi, of course, but I don't know if registration will be possible from here to the B&N site. Would it be better for my sister to unbox the Nook--which is sitting unopened in her living room--and register it while in the U.S.? Or is it perfectly possible to use the Nook without registering it?
Registering your Nook using Wifi from outside the USA is no problem. This will work fine.
The advantage of registering the Nook is that you can download B&N books to the Nook using Wifi, and that you can update the Nook software using Wifi.
If you not register your Nook you can use the USB connection to do those things.

You know that you can buy books at B&N using your PC?
Register your B&N account with an USA shipping and billing address (you can use any valid USA address: Disneyland, Yankee stadium, google something).
Use a VPN like Hotspot Shield (free) or alwaysVPN ($8.50) when buying books.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2010, 07:11 AM   #3
zardoz73
zardoz73 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Thanks, geertm, that answers my question and is good news.
zardoz73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overseas, registration, wifi