Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-15-2009, 02:06 AM   #1
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I know it's a lot to ask, but...

...is there an easy "hack" to make Calibre 0.5.14 recognize my new PRS-600?

Or, is there anyone out there that has any suggestions why Calibre 0.6.x looks like this when I install it on my WindowsXP computer (which has run Libprs > Calibre 0.5 with no problems)?

(Note the difference between the text in the title bar and that in the body of the application...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre0.6-OMG2.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	35886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre0.6-OMG.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	35887  
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:22 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Not as far as I know.

The PRS-600 is recognised by Calibre 0.6.12 or later.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:39 AM   #3
FizzyWater
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
The PRS-600 is recognised by Calibre 0.6.12 or later.
Yep. But Calibre 0.6.whatever is unreadable on my computer...for some stupid reason!
Old 09-15-2009, 03:04 AM   #4
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
That looks bizarre. Have you fiddled at all with your display settings, particularly fonts & themes?
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:11 AM   #5
FizzyWater

No, mostly because everything else looks fine. Calibre 0.5.14 looks fine. It's only Calibre 0.6.x that looks like this.

I did try changing my screen resolution...to be honest, Calibre 0.6.x looks like what happens when I "screen print" something and copy it into Word and shrink it a little. So I thought maybe the Calibre GUI was built at a different screen resolution (or not widescreen, like my laptop). But it made no difference.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:24 AM   #6
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I've gone through the tickets for calibre, the closest match is this one (look at the jpg), though it is on windows 7. According to Kovid, it is "is most likely caused by a conflicting install of Qt or some program that uses Qt".

Would that make any sense? Do you use any Qt programs at all? If that doesn't mean anything to you, would removing the old calibre in its entirety be an option before installing this one?

acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:04 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Its some sort of issue with either DPI or aliasing with the Qt toolkit. In my experience this used to happen on my linux boxes when there was a conflict between two wildly incompatible qt installs.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:30 AM   #8
FizzyWater

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Its some sort of issue with either DPI or aliasing with the Qt toolkit. In my experience this used to happen on my linux boxes when there was a conflict between two wildly incompatible qt installs.

Okay, could this be because I have both Python 2.5 and Python 2.6 installed?
Old 09-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post

Okay, could this be because I have both Python 2.5 and Python 2.6 installed?
I doubt it, I have python 2.4, 2.5, 2.6 and 3.1 installed on my box without any problems.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:34 PM   #10
FizzyWater

Sigh. I have Windows XP. Any idea on how I can find out which programs use/install this "QT" thing?
Old 09-16-2009, 08:15 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Do a search on your harddisk for "QtGui"

It's not a guarantee, but it should catch most such programs.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:45 AM   #12
FizzyWater

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Do a search on your harddisk for "QtGui"

It's not a guarantee, but it should catch most such programs.
Well, I did, and found three instances of that combination of letters...all in my calibre file!

c:\program files\calibre\PyQt4.QtGui.pyd (dated 2/2/09)
c:\program files\calibre\QtGui4.dll (dated 2/2/09)
c:\program files\calibre\library.zip [PyQt4\QtGui.pyo] (dated 5/29/09)

(This is with the 0.5.14 installation put back after uninstalling the 0.6.x).

Are any of those files leftover from an old, old installation maybe, based on the date?
Old 09-19-2009, 02:14 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No, those are all needed by calibre. But when upgrading to 0.6 to be safe delete the program files\calibre folder
Old 12-21-2009, 07:07 AM   #14
FizzyWater

Well, after getting infection with a Trojan horse, I had to use my system restore CD/DVDs from Toshiba and rebuild my laptop to "out of the box" again.

Three days of backing up files, digging out old CDs, downloading updated versions of free software, and reinstalling everything...and guess what? Calibre installs just fine now.

God knows what was going on with my system, but it'll happily display Calibre fonts correctly for me now.

I'm so happy! I just wish I knew what the problem was, so I can avoid it in the future.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:44 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Cool With windows I've found that often for all these mysterious problems a system reinstall is the only solution.