Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-01-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
crutnacker
Connoisseur
crutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-books

Device: None
Easy Instructions for Converting a File to Kindle?

I have an e-book I bought a few months ago from Barnes and Noble and would like to put on the Kindle, but I have no idea how to do it. Any tutorials or primers on this? I've googled, but I can't find the "...for dummies" instructions.
crutnacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:45 AM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Just a few questions to help us offer help.

What file format is it?

Does it have DRM?

Do you have Calibre up and running?

What operating system do you have on your computer? Mac, XP - SP?, Vista 32, Vista 64, Win 7?

I don't have any experience in file conversion, but another member with experience will need the additional information in order to offer help.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 07:03 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
B&N ebooks from a few months ago would have been in the eReader format (file extension .pdb). If you use B&N's desktop reader (Windows or Mac) to re-download them today they might be in ePub format instead (file extension .epub). Under Windows the new ebooks end up in a sub-folder of "My Documents\My BN eBooks" named after your e-mail address.

Either kind of ebook will have DRM (encryption) based on your credit card name and number. Both can be removed, but under Windows at least it is easier to strip the DRM from B&N ePubs (see Barnes & Noble DRM for EPUB circumvented). For eReader DRM, you would use ereader2html.py from the command line. For both ePub and eReader you will need to install python, see Visual Kindle Guide for how to do this and also how to use the "Command Prompt" which is only needed for eReader (the ePub script works by clicking on it, like standard Windows apps).

Once DRM-free, use Calibre to convert to MOBI (with the Kindle target). Note that removing DRM and format shifting for personal use (e.g. to use a different kind of reading device) is probably legal almost everywhere, including in the US.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:23 AM   #4
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Wallcraft...thanks for the help...I was looking for how to remove DRM from B&N download too!!
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:29 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please do not ask for explicit help with DRM removal. It's against the site policy to do so.

Thank you.

[Moderator]
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 07:48 AM   #6
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Quote:
It's against the site policy to do so.
My bad....wasn't thinking. Mea Culpa!!!
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote