Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #91
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I'd rather just turn the d@mn things off. I was able to make them mostly go away by installing Classic Shell at home, but we just (finally) switched over the Win7 at work, and the IT dept has been overzealous in locking out any customization.
When I first encountered them, I hated them. They were different from my normal workflow, and it pissed me off.

But then I did some reading on it, and their uses makes sense to me now. It's actually a nice idea to have a virtual folder that aggregates other folders, ones which you define.

However, I still don't use them. My 'Library' consists of a single directory, be it the Documents folder, or the Music LIbrary = the Music folder. Now it works just like pre7 windows
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #92
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Apple ‘cuts order for iPhone5 parts’ after weak sales but Samsung powers on after selling 100m Galaxy S devices

Tech giant has seen share price tumble by a quarter since September when iPhone5 debuted
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...s-8450969.html
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #93
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Quote:
Apple has told three suppliers, Japan Display, Sharp and LG Display, that it requires fewer screens, after previously requesting as many as 65 million units for the January to March quarter.
That just screams bogus to me.
Previous best selling quarter was 37 million, but they ordered 75% more than that? At a time when they face more competition than ever before?
Does that pass the smell test?
murraypaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #94
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes. As much as any of the spin and sizzle and sh*t that gets spewed out. Probably more because it's real data.

Does the part about Samsung sales scream bogus to you as well?

If they had of said that Apple was increasing orders what would you have said in response?

You seem to have missed this part of the article:

Quote:
The iPhone maker has almost halved its order of liquid-crystal display panels from key suppliers, according to the Japanese newspaper the Nikkei.
oh and the stock market seems to think it's legit.

Last edited by kennyc; 01-16-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #95
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
The iPhone maker has almost halved its order of liquid-crystal display panels from key suppliers,
... and the suppliers ran to the media with the news.

I would expect the contracts between Apple and the suppliers to have a clause against something like this.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #96
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Well what should anyone expect when a company continues to sell the same device with very little innovation it will catch up to you eventually. Especially since they are way over priced.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #97
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Here's another up to date article that says the same thing about cuts... http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...-chain-2011-11

Oh wait, it's dated November 2011... hey that makes life simple, ignore facts, make rumours of the year before last's rumours. pass on, recycle and repeat...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #98
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Here's another up to date article that says the same thing about cuts... http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...-chain-2011-11

Oh wait, it's dated November 2011... hey that makes life simple, ignore facts, make rumours of the year before last's rumours. pass on, recycle and repeat...
Yes that one was about the 4S, this one is about the 5.

So they once again continue to reduce orders, sell less and become less cool.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #99
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Probably more because it's real data.
Really? Where is the actual attributed quote for the 65 million number? (Or any other the other numbers)
This is all 'anonymous source told me' rubbish.

Quote:
If they had of said that Apple was increasing orders what would you have said in response?
Did you read my post? That is what I'm questioning.
Not whether the orders have been reduced, but whether they would ever have increased their orders to 65 million in the first place, given that they have never sold more than 37 million in a quarter before.
If they did order that many, no wonder they are having to reduce the order!
Old 01-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #100
kennyc

Yep, too bad for them sales didn't meet expectations.

and in the mean time Samsung is increasing its parts orders. At least that's what I heard.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #101
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
This is all 'anonymous source told me' rubbish.
Wouldn't this be '3 anonymous sources told me'? Or is it supposed to be just one guy that works for all 3 competing manufacturers?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #102
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Wouldn't this be '3 anonymous sources told me'? Or is it supposed to be just one guy that works for all 3 competing manufacturers?
We've no idea, do we, as none of the sources have been identified?
Old 01-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #103
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
That just screams bogus to me.
Previous best selling quarter was 37 million, but they ordered 75% more than that? At a time when they face more competition than ever before?
Does that pass the smell test?
murray, admittedly, a lot of the reports don't jive with one another, or have some internal inconsistencies as you point out. But the reports are just too numerous to ignore. And they all generally say the same thing. And Apple's silence only lends credence to them.

As has been said, where there's smoke there's fire.

Regarding the 65 million -- well one report I did see says the cuts extended beyond the iP5. So that 65 million number could include all tablets as well as the iPod Touch and iPod Nano which has a capacitive touch screen.

Just to be clear, because my position has often been mischaracterized by a certain someone ... I am not saying Apple is on its deathbed by any means. I think, the reports, if true, merely point to a continuing erosion in Apple's market share. They will likely be a healthy and profitable company for many years to come. Just that their time of dominance in the mobile market may be passing.

--Pat

Last edited by PatNY; 01-16-2013 at 02:29 PM.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #104
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
murray, admittedly, a lot of the reports don't jive with one another, or have some internal inconsistencies as you point out. But the reports are just too numerous to ignore. And they all generally say the same thing.
They all say the same thing because they are all just repeating the same story.
There is one story here, from the Japanese newspaper.
There is possibly separate information from the WSJ, or possibly they are just repeating the same info.
Everything else is just following on from that.

From the WSJ article:
Quote:
Japan's Nikkei reported earlier Monday that Apple has slashed its orders for iPhone 5 components.
From the Gizmodo article:
Quote:
The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Apple has cut orders for iPhone 5 components due to "weaker-than-expected demand" for the device.
From the CNET article:
Quote:
The company cut its orders last month for iPhone 5 screens for the first quarter of the 2013 calendar year by roughly half its original target, sources tell The Wall Street Journal.
From the Independent article:
Quote:
The iPhone maker has almost halved its order of liquid-crystal display panels from key suppliers, according to the Japanese newspaper the Nikkei.
This is what I was talking about earlier, they are all just reporting on the reporting.

Quote:
As has been said, where there's smoke there's fire.
No, quite often there is just smoke. (And occasionally mirrors.)

Quote:
Regarding the 65 million -- well one report I did see says the cuts extended beyond the iP5. So that 65 million number could include all tablets as well as the iPod Touch and iPod Nano which has a capacitive touch screen.
So we don't even know what the number (that we don't know is correct) applies to?
But these are hard numbers?

Again, I couldn't care less how many units Apple have or haven't ordered, I just dislike the sloppy reporting that is then treated as gospel.
Oddly, if you take the first dubious number (65 million orders), then apply the second dubious number (orders reduced by 50%), you end up with around 30-35 million units, which sound like a very believable number, perhaps even on the high side for a non-release, non-holiday quarter. That is why I find the 65 million number so unbelievable.

Last edited by murraypaul; 01-16-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #105
kennyc

So it's for sure then!

Confirmed!

Poor Apple.