Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 05-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #46
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
I have NEVER heard a credible report of someone having their credit card compromised by Amazon, and I still haven't.
I suspect that until it happens to a particular person that we know or until it is a massive problem, rather than an occasional person involving one or two people, that is widely reported in the press (assuming you believe the particular media that reports it), one will never hear what one considers a "credible" report of it happening. OTOH, I have not heard any credible reports of why I should disbelieve the person reporting the problem.

I have had my share of problems with retailers over 60 years of buying, retailers from whom I would never buy again, while others praise those same retailers. For example, I would never knowingly buy a GE made appliance after the experiences I had, yet I know people who think they are the greatest.

I find it interesting how everyone believes Amazon, who does not release any solid data about Kindle or ebook sales, finding those reports credible, yet don't extend the same courtesy to people who report problems with Amazon. I guess like Apple fans, there are those who believe Amazon walks on water.

I don't know whether the OP's story is true or not; I simply see no reason to doubt the story or the OPs credibility. It is quite possible that the OP's experience is limited to a handful of people and thus not widely reported.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #47
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Most sites require the 3 digit validation code to be entered. Amazon does not do this and that is a unique weakness at the Amazon site.
Can't possibly be an Amazon weakness. It must be the credit card companies' fault for not insisting that Amazon ask or the buyers' fault for buying at a place that doesn't ask for those digits.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #48
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I read a few news article about a major credit card processor being compromised a few months back. I think they said alot of card numbers were stolen. So you could of been compromised that way.

They were suppose to notify everyone involved but it's always a possibility.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #49
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I find it interesting how everyone believes Amazon, who does not release any solid data about Kindle or ebook sales, finding those reports credible, yet don't extend the same courtesy to people who report problems with Amazon. I guess like Apple fans, there are those who believe Amazon walks on water.
I'm not a "fanboy", and I have never said I don't believe the original poster. I have no doubt that her credit card was compromised, what I don't believe is the logical leap she made that it is Amazon's fault.

I don't believe that someone at Amazon waited until a purchase was made, grabbed her credit card number and immediately sold it to someone else who ran down to Wal-Mart all within a few hours. It just doesn't ring true. In the unlikely event it was one of the very few people who have access to un-encrypted card numbers within Amazon, do you really think they'd need to wait until a purchase was made before stealing a card number? Do you really think they would risk it all for a few numbers rather than the thousands if not millions that were available to them?

I'm sure something bad happened, I just think there are far more likely scenarios than a data breach at Amazon
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #50
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
The credit card number could have been compromised by someone opening the mail and copying the card information when it was mailed out. If they then knew the expiration date, they could wait to use it until nearly expired.

There are so many ways for credit card numbers to be compromised that, blaming it on Amazon, makes no sense unless Amazon, itself, went public with information that their database was broken.

The best approach is to just cancel the credit card and have the bank issue a new one. Its highly unlikely the experience will be repeated.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #51
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I have had my share of problems with retailers over 60 years of buying, retailers from whom I would never buy again, while others praise those same retailers. For example, I would never knowingly buy a GE made appliance after the experiences I had, yet I know people who think they are the greatest.
I had a Craftsman air compressor, manufactured by Campbell Hausfeld, using an electric motor made by GE. When a small part of the motor broke I called Sears... they wouldn't sell me the part, wanted to sell me the entire motor. I called CH, they also said that they couldn't do anything about it because it was a Craftsman labeled compressor, so I called GE, who also said that they couldn't do anything about it since they don't deal directly with customers for those non direct-to-consumer parts. I finally gave up and made a bracket that held the original part in place well enough that it worked.. a few weeks later I receive an unmarked box. In tiny print on the shipping label I see that it came from GE and when I opened it up I found the part that I'd been looking for. I didn't even remember giving them my address. Apparently somebody decided to do something about it and just sent me the part (worth about $60+) without any payment or anything. I was, and still am, very impressed.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #52
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
I don't believe that someone at Amazon waited until a purchase was made, grabbed her credit card number and immediately sold it to someone else who ran down to Wal-Mart all within a few hours. It just doesn't ring true.
Not only does that not ring true, but it supports the hypothesis that the leak wasn't at Amazon. Nobody has access to your credit card number when you make a payment. The timing doesn't rule out Amazon, but if it was Amazon's leak the timing would be only a coincidence.

I'd say an Amazon employee is the least likely of the suggested leaks. The bank will tell a customer whatever they want to hear in these circumstances, and most likely the bank's customer service (and Amazon's for that matter) know less than the average person about how credit cards and online purchasing work.

Regardless, online buying via credit card is extremely safe. By far the best way to defraud a credit card holder is through social engineering. The chances of having your credit card compromised online is unimaginably small, and if it happens you usually have ZERO liability.
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #53
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Glad you got it fixed.

Last edited by Rizla; 05-04-2012 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Pointless
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #54
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
No online or retail purchase is totally immune from compromising a credit card. The vectors for fraud exist in both methods. I think that the majority of us realize that it's only a matter of time before some bit of our credit data is compromised somewhere.

The funny thing is, is that years ago I switched from making purchases in cash in department stores to putting them on a credit card because in one store I gave the sales clerk a twenty dollar bill for a purchase, she gave me change for a ten and then swore that I had only given her a ten dollar bill. I never trusted a sales clerk in that store again because of that experience.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #55
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Just using currency also subjects one to risks of holdups, muggings, lost wallets and pickpockets.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:00 PM   #56
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Fire, K2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Just using currency also subjects one to risks of holdups, muggings, lost wallets and pickpockets.
But then u don't get a letter of apology which I got today from Amazon. Ur quite right. I'd much rather get mugged on line than hit over the head so someone can steal my purse. Credit cards ARE safer.
beej231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #57
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
YOU GOT A LETTER FROM AMAZON STATING THAT THEIR CREDIT CARD SYATEM HAS BEEN COMPROMIZED!!!!

Call the news papers! Call the TV stations! THIS IS NEWS!

I don't think that you are Amazon bashing, but it's kinda hard to believe some of the things that you want us to believe.

It's far more likely that your computer was compromised sometime in the past. Even if it has no malware on it now, that's a more likely suspect than an Amazon employee dipping their hand in to the data stream and getting your numbers.

Whatever.

If you want to be VERY safe just get a debit card. Some banks still have a "no minimum" debit account. Most have some kind of limits though.

I keep a minimum in a bank unrelated to my normal account. When I'm about to make a purchase I deposit the amount needed to cover that purchase. This card is ONLY used for internet purchases.

If that debit card is compromised, no big loss.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #58
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
I have been getting a LOT of spam lately and found a nasty trojan on my wifes laptop I just cleaned off.
I highly suggest you all do virus and spyware checks ASAP to clean out whatever is on there.

Here are my favs to use and that have been very successful for me to keep my pcs clean over the yeards:
all of these are free and can be downloaded from CNET downloads or the actual software mfg site.

for Spyware:
- Spywareblaster (sets up protection/blocks from spyware. Doest scan or clean anything)
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

- Malwarebytes AntiMalware
http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyte...=dl&tag=button

- SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition
http://www.superantispyware.com/down...NTISPYWAREFREE

For Viruses:
(Choose only ONE of these. Dont run more than 1 antivirus software at any one time. Uninstall built in virus software if your PC came with it preloaded like Symantec or McAfee as sometimes these are not as powerful as the free ones and not as updated).

- Avast
http://www.avast.com/en-us/index

or
- AVG Free 2012
http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Vi...opDownForm;pop

A must for any PC owner.

Also great is Advanced System Care which does a lot of things for soyware and keeping your PC running like new:
http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-Sy...contentBody;1d
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #59
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=SameOldStory;2071517]YOU GOT A LETTER FROM AMAZON STATING THAT THEIR CREDIT CARD SYATEM HAS BEEN COMPROMIZED!!!!

Call the news papers! Call the TV stations! THIS IS NEWS!

I don't think that you are Amazon bashing, but it's kinda hard to believe some of the things that you want us to believe.

It's far more likely that your computer was compromised sometime in the past. Even if it has no malware on it now, that's a more likely suspect than an Amazon employee dipping their hand in to the data stream and getting your numbers.

Whatever.

I said I had a letter of apologizing that MY credit card, not all their servers had been compromised. Followed by all the stuff they do to make it safe yada yada and things I can do to make it safer on my end (which I was already doing). This arrived with a $50 gift certificate, like that would replace the $538.92 that was stolen from me. Well, why not? The credit card company is on the hook for that

When you guys here something you don't wish to believe, you either over react with a loud hue and cry or just continue to function in that foreign land called DENIAL.

You sound like a bunch of drooling idiots.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #60
beej231
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
I have been getting a LOT of spam lately and found a nasty trojan on my wifes laptop I just cleaned off.
I highly suggest you all do virus and spyware checks ASAP to clean out whatever is on there.

Here are my favs to use and that have been very successful for me to keep my pcs clean over the yeards:
all of these are free and can be downloaded from CNET downloads or the actual software mfg site.

for Spyware:
- Spywareblaster (sets up protection/blocks from spyware. Doest scan or clean anything)
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

- Malwarebytes AntiMalware
http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyte...=dl&tag=button

- SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition
http://www.superantispyware.com/down...NTISPYWAREFREE

For Viruses:
(Choose only ONE of these. Dont run more than 1 antivirus software at any one time. Uninstall built in virus software if your PC came with it preloaded like Symantec or McAfee as sometimes these are not as powerful as the free ones and not as updated).

- Avast
http://www.avast.com/en-us/index

or
- AVG Free 2012
http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Vi...opDownForm;pop

A must for any PC owner.

Also great is Advanced System Care which does a lot of things for soyware and keeping your PC running like new:
http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-Sy...contentBody;1d
I use a MAC. ON my PC, which I wouldn't use to purchase a paperclip, If have lots of great protection. ON the Mac, have everything that is recommended to make it safe.

I have no idea why everyone would choose to believe that **I** must have screwed up but I see that it is a pervasive attitude here. I was trying to be helpful with a warning to be careful but I'm SO sorry I bothered.