Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-26-2011, 08:30 AM   #1
Cantrill
Cantrill began at the beginning.

Device: none
Search for a good English<-> French dictionary

Hi everybody !
First of all, I would like to excuse me for the mistakes which will perhaps follow this sentence, because I'm french and if I write here it's because I haven't got the answers I wanted in the french part of this website.

I bought my Kindle a few weeks ago, and received it ( I live in Belgium ... ) last week. Amazing ! But one of my main interests was to improve the way I know languages, especially english ( that's why I chose the Kindle of Amazon ) and I canno't find a very good translation dictionary. I found one free of charge maid by french but it doesn't contain a lot of words I encounter in my reads ( serious books, newspapers about politics and finance etc ), and the one of the Kindle store do not seem to be pretty better !

I started to search on the mobypocket website because the one maid by french people was built on this format and it worked as primary dictionary, and I was really glad when I found that one http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/...p?BookID=69165 but if you look at the last review you can see... a man who say it doesn't match with the kindle ...

I also raw that one http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/...sp?BookID=9220 but if it's the same format maybe we have the same problem, and it doesn't look like it is as well built as the last dictionary I talked about.

So if someone could help me I would be very thankful
Cantrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have you searched in the Kindle ebook store?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Books from mobipocket.com will definitely NOT work with Kindle, without removing the DRM. It also requires a PID, and their DRM servers will not accept a Kindle PID.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:27 PM   #4
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
This one is very good:

http://www.amazon.com/Merriam-Webste...9137960&sr=1-1

It is less than $7, and certainly worth it.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:44 AM   #5
Cantrill

Well, I'm going to try the amazon one...
But couldn't we break de DRM with calibre or that kind of software ?

Otherwise thanks for your answers !
Advert
Old 06-28-2011, 06:21 AM   #6
phili
Zealot
phili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DXG
Maybe this will help you:

http://blog.mikeasoft.com/2011/01/05...or-the-kindle/
phili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:27 AM   #7
Cantrill

Actually I think I won't buy the dictionary on amazon.com because I already have one of 58.000 entries ( I wrote it on my first message ) made free of charge by the french people of the forum and the dictionary of amazon seems to have almost the same number of entries so perhaps it won't change a lot, apart if someone has made a comparison ?

And Phili, well thanks a lot for this link, it is very interesting because I was also searching a german translation dictionary and if I don't find one French<->German (what is unfortunately almost sure ) I will take that one !
Otherwise the french one here proposed has got "just" 6 thousands entries,which is far less than what I have with the one I downloaded on the french part of the forum.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
To be honest, I don't think there is a good one yet for the Kindle. I use the Collins Robert on my PC.

It's not cheap, but it works pretty well.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:01 PM   #9
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
See these reviews for Merriam-Webster. Not all that encouraging.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:16 AM   #10
calvin
DRM remover
calvin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, 4 & Touch, iPhone/iPad, Hanvon N516 (OpenInkpot)
Hi Cantrill,

I have found the oxford dictionaries (french<->english) here:
http://singapore.lib.overdrive.com
they have about 50,000 words

if you don't have a account there, you can create one with a random 6digit number as a foreign user and of course your Mobipocket PID.

If you need your Kindle PID, look here:
http://kindletools.prestonlee.com/

Last edited by calvin; 07-01-2011 at 08:19 AM.
calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #11
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
I sent you a PM with a Oxford English-France.
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #12
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Le Grande Robert Collins is the best French English Dictionary.

The Oxford Hachette contains many errors.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:43 PM   #13
Cantrill

Thank you for all these answers, I'm currently unable to test those dictionaries but will do it in two weeks. If somebody else search a dictionary actually the free one you can find in the french part of the forum is quite nice, I used it a lot to read books or newspaper and I would say that 75% of the words are in it. Rizla do you know how to get this Grand Robert Collins ?
Old 08-01-2011, 09:16 AM   #14
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
I'm a bit late, but I'm also looking for a good English to French dictionary for the Kindle.
Cantrill : The dictionary mentioned in your first post seems to me the best of the list (the Harrap's one), but I read on another thread that bidirectional translation dictionaries won't work on Kindle. However, if you search for "french dictionary" on mobipocket english website, you will see other Harrap's English / French dictionaries, and they seem to be one-way dictionaries which should work on the Kindle. I will try this one http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/...p?BookID=63982 soon and post again then.
I will also try the Harrap's one for German (http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/...?BookID=137941), the Pons looks good too.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:51 AM   #15
Cantrill

Hi everybody !
First thank you for all your new answers, now I have to say I change a bit my mind :
Because a teacher explained me that I should better use an english-english dictionary to improve faster and better my english, I won't search for a bigger english->french translation dictionary than the one I already have ( the one of the french part of this forum ), and the english-english dictionaries already on the kindle seem to be good. Otherwise Papi if you try the one of mobipocket and if it's working please send me a message, it could be helpful for me in the future. For the german one I would advise you not to buy the one you talk about because you have a link for an english-> german and german -> english with each with around 160 000 words in for free. I quoted it for your
Quote:
Originally Posted by phili View Post
I'm in germany currently and even if I didn't use it like a primary dictionary on a german text right now it seems to be a good one. And it allows me to revise a bit my english because it's not going directly to french words

Finally for your interesting answers, I will submit a further reply if I have a problem with the english-> german and german -> english dictionaries

Tags
dictionary, kindle