Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-16-2011, 02:34 PM   #16
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Pie, I was reading a review earlier this week (can't remember if it was about the 350 or 650). The reviewer noted that the Sony had a glossier screen than the Kindle. I wouldn't have thought that the 950 would be any different than the other models. I have now had the chance to compare the 350, 950 & K3 side-by-side. I think I would have to rank them from most to least glossy as 350, K3 and then 950. Interesting! I think the 350 and K3 are very close.
The Sony units have an extra touchscreen layer on top of the eInk screen. Thats why they differ in appearance to the Kindle even if they're using the same eInk screen.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:55 PM   #17
Histerius
Zealot
Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 - Galaxy Tab 10.1
I think that was good idea to modify fonts (BlackboxC -> KindleBlackboxC, for example), which only means that Amazon worked seriously on the device for reading. With lousy fonts Kindle would be another no-name reader. I like that Amazon approach.
Histerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #18
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
The Sony units have an extra touchscreen layer on top of the eInk screen. Thats why they differ in appearance to the Kindle even if they're using the same eInk screen.
Not anymore, there are leds on the side of the screen taking care of the "touch" part, AFAIK this new technology doesn't need any particular layer on the screen itself. So Sony got rid of the layer that was used on the previous generation, and which would diminish the contrast and increase the glare. But I'm curious about the difference of screen glossiness between the 350 and the 950.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:15 PM   #19
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi View Post
Not anymore, there are leds on the side of the screen taking care of the "touch" part, AFAIK this new technology doesn't need any particular layer on the screen itself. So Sony got rid of the layer that was used on the previous generation, and which would diminish the contrast and increase the glare. But I'm curious about the difference of screen glossiness between the 350 and the 950.
Ah. Interesting. Article about the Neonode touchscreen technology.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:22 PM   #20
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Not the Pearl versions, meaning the 350, 650 and 950.

I think you're referring to the PRS-600 which had a separate overlay layer on top of the screen, and that was hugely glossy, and terrible for contrast. Thankfully, that died with the PRS-600.

The new PRS-*50 versions have more like a very slightly glossy finish on the screen, rather than an overlay on top of the screen. It's very mild, and you probably would not even know it unless you compared side-by-side to the K3.

E-Ink has like 3 or 4 different touch technologies so it is hard to keep track, but the touch on the new Sony's is handled by the IR detector version IIRC.

EDIT: Seeing the previous posts, I guess I did remember correctly!

-Pie

Last edited by EatingPie; 02-16-2011 at 09:25 PM.
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2011, 01:00 AM   #21
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
The difference between the 3 models I listed is very small. I had to tilt the screen in multiple directions and concentrate to rank them. You wouldn't really notice otherwise unless they are side-by-side.

The old 700, 600 and 900 had the touchscreen extra layer. I had the 900.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote