Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 05-25-2007, 02:42 PM   #1
Maugendre
Maugendre began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader
Smile four weeks with my ereader

English is not my maternal language.
I got my reader for 4 weeks now. I did not want to pass from internet before I could see one, touch one, use one. Luck, karma… I had the chance to find somebody who have one to sell . I went to see the reader, like it, went for a tooth extracting, came back with money and got it. My first reading was done with half my jaw frozen. I was drooling for few hours . Because of the reader or the frozen jaw ?? probably both…
I am a reader since 6 months after my first grade at school. All my family are readers. I read scf, mystery, fantasy. So for me the sony reader is a joy. I don’t care about mp3, because when I read I don’t hear anything…So here wath I think about the reader, my very personnal feeling. I read for 6 months about the reader on this site. This is for the people who love reading and have no clue about technologie like myself. I read around 10 books on an LCD screen with ereader software, ubook, Cr2, mobypocket , Microsoft reader and a few obscure one. I read about 5 books on a palm. Both were pretty hard on my eyes.

Good things

Easy to the eyes , very very easy.
Three size zoom ( good for poor light or in a bus on the road )
Can have few books at differents stages of lecture.
Can bring many books in it ( never use memory card )
Ghosthing effect very minimal ( I don’t see why people complain about it ).
A lot of books availables in txt and rtf and htlm. ( I have 780 and still counting and a new friend give me 2600 ).
Easy to play with ( changing page with my left thumb feel normal . Sorry Yvanleterrible
Refresh rate do not bother me at all.
Batterie life ( after one full charge 1400 clics for first barr. 900 clic second barr. 600 clic third . 500 clic last . play around 100 clic for a total of 3500 clics. I will try again in a few month for the fun of it.
More easy to read the reader with poor light than a paper book.
Bookdesigner is a plus.

Bad things ( nothing is perfect ) ( personnel preference)

Light reflection when more than one light source.With one it is easy to angulate the reader.
No font change or change design directly on the reader
PC connect reader ( slow ++ no font change or design change ) Don’t know why it exist…
Cannot accept book directly in internal memory
Cannot delete directly.
Cannot transfer in another folder or use hierarchique folders( pretty stupid from Sony this one ) ( I hope you understand what I mean ).
Contrast could have been better.

If the reader break, I will by an other one. I love it even with the bad things.

Book that I read with the reader in a month.

Butcher, Jim - Codex Alera 3 - Cursor's Fury
Butcher, Jim - Dresden Files 07 - Dead Beat
Butcher, Jim - Dresden Files 08 - Proven Guilty
Green, Simon R - Nightside 05 - Paths Not Taken
Howard, Robert E - Conan 01 - Tower Of The Elephant
Howard, Robert E - Conan 02 - God In The Bowl
Howard, Robert E - Conan 03 - Rogues In TheHouse
Nicholls, Stan - Orcs - First Blood 01 - Bodyguard of Lightning
Nicholls, Stan - Orcs - First Blood 02 - Legion of Thunder
Nicholls, Stan - Orcs - First Blood 03 - Warriors of the Tempest
Perry, Steve - Matador 01 - The Man Who Never Missed
Pierce, Tamora - Tortall 1 - Song of the Lioness 01 - Alanna - The First Adventure
Pierce, Tamora - Tortall 1 - Song of the Lioness 02 - In the Hand of the Goddess
Pierce, Tamora - Tortall 1 - Song of the Lioness 03 - The Woman Who Rides Like a Man
Pierce, Tamora - Tortall 1 - Song of the Lioness 04 - Lioness Rampant

I know, the last 4 are for teen.

I used word to have times new roman 18 font, Fully justified , space right and left to 0.5 cm , and save in rtf . Than I use Bookdesigner and it is easy to work with and connect reader download them more rapidly. Just for this reason I would have keep it.I will use BD in the futur .

Your site is a big plus too. I am a shy guy so I will probably not input often, but I will read you .

Question.
I am going to do a pilgrimage ‘’ st-Jacques de Compostel ‘’ 60 to 70 days on foot in France and Spane. I just read that the USB connector cannot charge the reader without the connect software. How can I charge my reader in Europe during those days???

Merci for the reply.
P.S" I may have double the question elsewhere sorry.
Maugendre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:02 PM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Salut Maugendre! Bienvenue!

Finally you logged in! I was wondering when you'd do it!

To all the people who regularly read on this site, come on in don't be shy!!!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2007, 03:19 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome, Maugendre, glad you finally came out of the dark!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:15 PM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Glad to hear from you Maugendre, and I really enjoyed your thoughts on the Reader.

I agree with your wish that you could delete a book directly from the Reader also! But I'm afraid I agree with Yvan about wishing I could turn pages with a button on the right side. On the other hand, it's not a big deal either.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 11:20 AM   #5
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I enjoyed reading your review as well. Did you actually count each click for the power use? I do not have that kind of patience, so I am impressed. It seems like we have similar interests in book choices, though it seems you read a bit faster than I do (I'm an avid reader, but would be lucky to clear 3 books in a month).

Good luck with the charging issue; can you not bring along the charger?
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2007, 04:09 PM   #6
Maugendre
Maugendre began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel
I enjoyed reading your review as well. Did you actually count each click for the power use? I do not have that kind of patience, so I am impressed. It seems like we have similar interests in book choices, though it seems you read a bit faster than I do (I'm an avid reader, but would be lucky to clear 3 books in a month).

Good luck with the charging issue; can you not bring along the charger?
In fact I count the pages thoses books had and never change the size or use the usb or charger. I complete the task without changing the desingn of the books.
Some of the books are only 50 pages like Conan and the four titles for teens were rapid to read too.Going to work by bus reading around 45 60 mns helped. OK my wife started to think that i should do something else . It was an intense month
For the charger apparently i just to have an adaptor for Europe . It suppose to work with the electric power there. Good.
Maugendre is offline   Reply With Quote