Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-01-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Advanced Mobipocket Features

I would appreciat6e it if everyone would try the attached file on your device. It has some advanced features that I want to incorporate into the World Fact eBook. I want to know which devices can use the features.

I particularly want Kindle, K2, Cybook, Blackberry , Iliad, V3 owners to tell me if any of these features work.

I've been thinking about how to make the fact book more like a reference book. I found this on Mobipocket's website. Apparently Mobi format has tags for keyword, article name, and article content. I don't know about you, but I started drooling (I'm an information junkie). I'm going to make a second Mobipocket version that will have these advanced features.
Attached Files
File Type: prc Scientific_Articles.prc (74.0 KB, 418 views)
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It occurred to me after I posted this that I have a Kindle. I tried it. The advanced features don't work.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #3
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
I've loaded your sample to my Cybook.

The Table of Contents link works
The "Lookup an Article" and "Lookup a keyword" links returns the following message, "Indexes not supported in this version."

Is there anything else you'd like me to check? [Seems like a cool idea...too bad it doesn't work]
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:27 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
I've loaded your sample to my Cybook.

The Table of Contents link works
The "Lookup an Article" and "Lookup a keyword" links returns the following message, "Indexes not supported in this version."

Is there anything else you'd like me to check? [Seems like a cool idea...too bad it doesn't work]
Thanks. Have you thought about filing a bug report with Bookeen? These are standard features for the Mobipocket format. They should have been implemented.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See Cross-platform feature support. This is probably:
Quote:
Index view (not all e-ink devices yet)
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:35 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
See Cross-platform feature support. This is probably:
Excellent! That means that the code already exists. Now we need to get Bookeen to actually use it.

Thank you.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Well the message, "not supported in this version," may apply to the firmware version I am running on my Cybook, which is the last version that Bookeen released many, many months ago.

We are anxiously awaiting an update that has been promised, and if Bookeen is to be believed, this update will add some real functionality to the device. Only time will tell if it is true.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:05 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Well the message, "not supported in this version," may apply to the firmware version I am running on my Cybook, which is the last version that Bookeen released many, many months ago.

We are anxiously awaiting an update that has been promised, and if Bookeen is to be believed, this update will add some real functionality to the device. Only time will tell if it is true.
If they aren't regularly asked about it, I bet they won't bother.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:30 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Those advanced features are rather cool, actually!

As I run the latest version of MobiPocket I do have access to all those features

(there is still an advantage of reading on a PDA!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:49 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Thanks. Have you thought about filing a bug report with Bookeen? These are standard features for the Mobipocket format. They should have been implemented.
This is not a bug. Not all versions of Mobi support all features. Suggest you test your file on Windows Desktop version of Mobi - that implements all features of the format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:54 AM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
This is the same message shown when you try to search a word directly in a dictionary (i.e., not by using the "lookup mode" while reading another book). It makes sense, since there is at the moment no way to write the word you want to look for.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:01 AM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This is not a bug. Not all versions of Mobi support all features. Suggest you test your file on Windows Desktop version of Mobi - that implements all features of the format.
I know that it works in MobiDesktop. The point of this thread isn't that I want to use it, it's that I want to make ebooks that use it.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:28 AM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
This is the same message shown when you try to search a word directly in a dictionary (i.e., not by using the "lookup mode" while reading another book). It makes sense, since there is at the moment no way to write the word you want to look for.
Yes and no. There is no way to type it in becuase Bookeen didn't implement an on screen keyboard. It still would have been useful, though, becuase in the index view you see a list of article titles or keywords.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:04 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can create books that use it, and those books will have those features enabled on some Mobi platforms, but not others. All you have to do is provide other ways (eg a decent TOC) to get to the information on those platforms which don't support index searches. The "advanced" features will work on, for example, the Pocket PC versions of Mobi, since they support this feature.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:09 AM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can create books that use it, and those books will have those features enabled on some Mobi platforms, but not others. All you have to do is provide other ways (eg a decent TOC) to get to the information on those platforms which don't support index searches. The "advanced" features will work on, for example, the Pocket PC versions of Mobi, since they support this feature.
I already knew that.