Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #31
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo
Oops, good idea but too late. Calibre is converting all of my books as we speak
Joques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #32
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joques View Post
Oops, good idea but too late. Calibre is converting all of my books as we speak
heh...oops. ah well, you can always try it on future books if you feel like it.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #33
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Huh. On a whim I now tried to convert my epubs first (epub-epub), and all of a sudden it all works perfectly. I didn't want to do that, I like to keep my files as original as possible, so I used to just used to use Polish and Modify Epub to clean up formatting, punctuation, forced fonts, cover art etc. Now it seems I must Calibre-convert them all for this to work. Ok then, no huge deal. I can still back up the originals.

A huge Thank you to everybody who helped! This seems like a great community of likeminded.
I suspect that you're covering up the underlying issue by doing this. Can you try opening a broken ePub in Sigil and validate it? That should tell you what's wrong.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #34
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Ok, I did that with one of my original files and got three error messages. But they don't tell me a whole lot. How do I export them into text format?
Old 05-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #35
Joques
Addict

On a related subject: How does one enter series information? I don't understand the tooltip in the plugin: "Series information can only be added to the device after the book has been processed by the device."

How?
Old 05-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #36
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
On a related subject: How does one enter series information? I don't understand the tooltip in the plugin: "Series information can only be added to the device after the book has been processed by the device."

How?
Load the books. Eject. Unplug. Wait for Kobo to finish processing content. Plug Kobo back in and connect to Calibre. When it is done, eject and unplug again. Your series info will appear.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #37
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is a section when editing metadata. You also have to have the box checked to include series information in the plugin.

What that passage is trying to say is, after you've added the books and disconnected from your computer the first time and your kobo processes the books, the series info still won't show. But if you connect again to calibre (and you've entered the series info in the metadata), then disconnect, the series info will appear. The tip was just to let people know a second connect and disconnect is needed before it shows. The book has to be already in the database for it to add series info.

This is different than other features in calibre, so they state that, since many people might think it didn't work and keep deleting and adding their books...which will never work.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #38
Joques
Addict

Ah, I see. Yes, that worked! Thanks! Now, is there some way to make these sort according to their place in the series? Right now they only sort alphabetically according to the main title of the book.

...this is rapidly turning into the "help Joques out with all his newbie questions" thread. I do apologize :-)
Old 05-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #39
Uschiekid
Tenrec

Other than adding the number also to the beginning of the book title, at the moment, no. When series were first introduced, the title search changed into series, then title search. Kobo decided since this wasn't technically title search anymore, it was wrong and changed to be a simple title search. This aggravated many, but it also pleased others.

Most people agree that the best solution would now to implement a series search separate from the title search. Kobo has yet to do anything. But since series implementation is fairly new, it may be changed in the near future (we can hope!).

And no worries...I feel like I'm reinforcing the things into my brain that I'm likely to forget before too long...I happened to have done a lot of the things you are doing recently myself, so everything is still fresh in the old noggin.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #40
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, you used to be able to do that but Kobo removed that ability. As I understand it, they did so despite everyone telling them "no, don't remove this, keep it, it's well-liked".
Old 05-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #41
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
No, you used to be able to do that but Kobo removed that ability. As I understand it, they did so despite everyone telling them "no, don't remove this, keep it, it's well-liked".
At least one member here had reported the sort as including the series info. as a bug.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #42
Joques
Addict

Ok Final question. Promise!

Some of my ebooks have a very wide line spacing. Does anybody know how to remove that? I tried in the convert Look and Feel menu to put line-height in "Other CSS Properties" (to remove), but it does nothing.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #43
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

CSS is actually really hard to parse properly. I'm not surprised that it's not fully removed. It's entirely possible that there's some place where CSS exists that calibre isn't able to properly clean.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #44
Uschiekid
Tenrec

Quote:
Ok Final question. Promise!

Some of my ebooks have a very wide line spacing. Does anybody know how to remove that? I tried in the convert Look and Feel menu to put line-height in "Other CSS Properties" (to remove), but it does nothing.
I'm definitely not an expert, but you can edit the stylesheet.css in sigil...look for line spacing to be defined. If it's not, then it might be that kobo's minimum is 1.3 and some people find that too wide.

I'm sure someone else who is constantly changing the line spacing will chime in soon, I haven't done much in this area yet.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #45
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I use Sigil rather than Calibre to change the line-height spacing because I only want the main body of text changed. Using it in other areas with different styles and font styles can end up with letters on top of each other.

And for the Kobo reader, it depends on which font you prefer to use as well. A few need 1.2em for the line-height or even 1.0em, but the majority seem fine with 1.1em set in the stylesheet.css file.

I really dislike adding that to each book though since it then messes up how the book appears on my Sony readers. So my hope is that a future Kobo firmware update will let us adjust the line-height setting lower, as low as 1.0 would be ideal. No one uses the highest settings for it anyway, so it would make sense to scale it down to a more usable range.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote