Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-19-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
anarcHy
anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Cybook gen 3, Opus
mobi files are going, help!!!!!

Guys, I need help, It seems that a lot of the new books coming out are no longer doing mobi files. Which is what I download on my cybook gen 3. Does this mean Iam gonna have to get a new ebook reader, I know my cybook is held together with electrical tape (the battery screw fell out) but all my libary so far is is in mobi files help !!!!!!!

When I go on my usual sites of fictionwise and diesel they are only offering adobe and epub ?, do any of these work on my cybook and often the books I download are DRM locked so Iam gonna have a problem there?

Please note Iam not very technically minded so the IT talk has to be aimed at a low level. Iam a bookworm not a tech head lol
anarcHy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, anarcHy

Help should come soon.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarcHy View Post
Does this mean Iam gonna have to get a new ebook reader
Of course not, you have at least two other options:

1. Install the ePUB firmware (1.6 or 2.1) in you Cybook. You can then buy new books in ePUB format and read them. The downside is you lose the ability to read Mobi books (this is due to Amazon contract restrictions), but you can swap Mobi and ePUB firmwares as often as you wish (and as sensible).

2. Convert whatever format into Mobi, with Calibre for instance. If you buy books with DRM you'd have to remove it first. You can also convert your Mobi books into ePUB to solve the problem in the previous point.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
What Jellby said.
No mater what, you're going to have to de-drm if you want to keep your books. And that means messing a bit with "techy" stuff. Though mobi is real easy to get rid of.

Then convert to epUB, install firmware 2.1 on you gen 3, read your books

Are you running windows ? MacOS ? Linux ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
You are in a hard place, because MOBI is essentially dead going forward but you already have a DRM-locked MOBI library. I see only two primary options:

a) Continue to read MOBI on your Gen3, and buy another reader for new stuff.
b) Strip DRM from ebooks and convert them to another format.

Note that with (a) you are betting that your new DRMed format does not eventually die out like MOBI. I think ePub and Amazon (AZW) are both strong for the near future, but all previous DRM schemes eventually became moribund (if they did not actually die).

If you go the stripping route, you can either convert ePub to MOBI or convert MOBI to ePub. I suggest trying MOBI to ePub, because eventually your Gen3 will break and at that point ePub is inevitable. The actual conversion is done by Calibre, which is easy to use. The hard part is getting the DRM stripping to work, but the required script (mobidedrm) can be added to Calibre to make the process transparent. See Apprentice Alf's Blog for a good summary of DRM issues.

With the Gen3, you have the option of either supporting MOBI or ePub - but not both at once. So a no-cost approach would be to download the ePub firmware from Bookeen and convert your MOBI's to ePub.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #6
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Or you can go the other route Buy ePub, de-Drm them and convert to mobi. Anyway, I'm afraid that, as Eowyn says, you're going to have to mess a bit with techy stuff.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:45 PM   #7
anarcHy
anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
What Jellby said.
No mater what, you're going to have to de-drm if you want to keep your books. And that means messing a bit with "techy" stuff. Though mobi is real easy to get rid of.

Then convert to epUB, install firmware 2.1 on you gen 3, read your books

Are you running windows ? MacOS ? Linux ?
Iam running windows XP
Old 09-19-2010, 02:55 PM   #8
anarcHy

So, I have been looking around and I think I have a cunning plan !!!!!!, well until you guys spot a large hole in it.

firstly do the upgrade to get my cybook to read epub off the bookeen website

then

If I wash the drm off my locked mobi files by using mobidrm, then I can put them all into calibre, so then i can transfer them to epub and read on my cybook, and any new books I can buy in epub from my normal suppliers just use calibre as my transfer to reader program rather than mobipocket.

Then as I think in the UK we are going to be taken over by the amazon for buying ebooks, when my cybook dies and I can no longer stick it together with electrical tape, and I buy a kindle I will be able to use calibre again to transfer epubs to awz? kindle files.

Is this right idea? and if so how do I identify easily which of my current mobi files are drm locked as my libary is quite large and I cant remember which one are?

oooo me brain hurts with all this techno stuff
Old 09-19-2010, 03:59 PM   #9
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
when my cybook dies and I can no longer stick it together with electrical tape, and I buy a kindle I will be able to use calibre again to transfer epubs to awz? kindle files.
No, you buy a reader that read ePub, and read your files happliy .

Quote:
Then as I think in the UK we are going to be taken over by the amazon for buying ebooks
I don't think so. I certainly hope not ! Do you realy think amazon can put waterstones, wsmith, and all out of buisness ?

I'll sooner go back to pbooks than go back to mobi (or awz).

Last edited by EowynCarter; 09-19-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Then as I think in the UK we are going to be taken over by the amazon for buying ebooks, when my cybook dies and I can no longer stick it together with electrical tape, and I buy a kindle I will be able to use calibre again to transfer epubs to awz? kindle files.

Is this right idea? and if so how do I identify easily which of my current mobi files are drm locked as my libary is quite large and I cant remember which one are?
AZW is MOBI, at least for DRM-free ebooks, so keep your DRM-free MOBIs and use Calibre to convert your original ePubs to MOBI when you switch to Kindle.

The latest versions of mobidedrm work on DRM-free MOBIs, and in particular if you add mobidedrm as a plugin for Calibre it will allow you to import both DRM-free and DRM-ridden MOBI ebooks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:03 AM   #11
EowynCarter
Wizard

An other alternative is to use kindle for PC to buy books, de-drm so the cybook can read them, de-drm you mobi files so your futur kindle can read them.
That's a way to go, if you mean to get a kindle when your cybook dies.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:13 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I don't think so. I certainly hope not ! Do you realy think amazon can put waterstones, wsmith, and all out of buisness ?
Given that they are selling books at often half the price that Waterstones do, I wouldn't be surprised. Eg, "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" is £2.68 at Amazon; £5.49 at Waterstones. Colin Dexter's "Last Bus to Woodstock" (the first "Inspector Morse" book) is £4.27 at Amazon; £6.37 at Waterstones. I don't think I've ever found a book that Amazon don't sell significantly cheaper than Waterstones.

Last edited by HarryT; 09-20-2010 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Typo
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:24 AM   #13
EowynCarter
Wizard

There is a big differance between "having most of the market share", and total monopoly.
Personally, the perspective of having no choice on where to buy my e-books horrifies me.
I'll keep buying my book from waterstones or WSmith, even if more expensive.
And if amazon get monopoly, the first thing they are gonna do is raise prises, a lot !

Then, Amazon is just beginning with the UK market, the other might react and lower their prices. If amazon can sell book that low and make a profit, so can the other.

Maybe amazon don't make a profit, then amazon can't go on for long with these prise. Might be a "wait for people to buy kindle, once enough people are locked in, rise prises." strategy.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 09-20-2010 at 04:36 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:28 AM   #14
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
just use calibre as my transfer to reader program rather than mobipocket.
You don't need any particular program to transfer ebooks to your reader, you can transfer them exactly as if the Cybook were a usb drive.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:51 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
There is a big differance between "having most of the market share", and total monopoly.
Personally, the perspective of having no choice on where to buy my e-books horrifies me.
I'll keep buying my book from waterstones or WSmith, even if more expensive.
And if amazon get monopoly, the first thing they are gonna do is raise prises, a lot !
In the mean time, though, Amazon's low prices benefit everyone (in the UK, at least) given the extreme ease of buying a book with "Kindle for PC", removing the DRM, then using it either directly as a DRM-free Mobi file, or converting it to ePub.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gen 3, mobi