Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-05-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: None
Find me some books to read based on what I have recently read (and liked)

Hey guys,

I figure this would be a good way to find some interesting reads. If I try and find some books independently I'd be inclined to stick to my niche and probably miss out on books well received by the community, so I'm going to list some books I have read and you guys tell me what other books I might enjoy.

Here goes:

Very recent:
The Windup Girl (just finished last night, loved it)
Forever War (liked it a hell of a lot)
Starship Troopers (thought it was okay)
The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate (pretty good short work)

Somewhat recent:
The First Law trilogy by Abercrombie (really liked these, kind of refreshed the fantasy genre for me much like GRRM did with ASOIAF)
I have no mouth, and I must scream

Not recent at all:
Shogun
Ender's Game
Dune (only liked the first one)
Song of Ice and Fire series
Assassin's apprentice (never got around to reading the entire trilogy)
Many of Asimov's works (loved 'em)
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
and many other classics that I'm sure we've all read as well

Thanks folks.
rahulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:27 PM   #2
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
Rahulm - You might want to try literature-map.com. You input the name of an author, and it will provide a "map" of other authors you might like. The closer it is to the name you input, the more probable it is you'll enjoy it. I've never actually used it, so I don't know how well it actually works, but it's an interesting concept.

Enjoy!

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 11:40 PM   #3
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
What Should I Read Next? does what you're looking for. Literature Map, as SteveK says, does much the same.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:20 AM   #4
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
One caveat for using literature map by the way - try your author's name several different ways if it has multiple possible spellings. For example Stephen R. Donaldson and Stephen Donaldson and Stephen R (no period) Donaldson all may and likely do have different assocations.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:58 AM   #5
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
I’m reading The Windup Girl right now and thoroughly enjoying it.

I think you might enjoy Daemon and its sequel Freedom™ by Daniel Saurez. It’s about a mad computer genius who foments a people’s revolution against the government/military/industrial oligarchy after his death through the daemon program he left behind.
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 09:25 AM   #6
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Those sites sound pretty cool, I bookmarked both.

And I'll check out Daemon as well.

Thanks guys.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilohertz53 View Post
I’m reading The Windup Girl right now and thoroughly enjoying it.
Since a couple of youse liked The Windup Girl, I hopped over to Amazon to find out its price. No version for the Kindle

Then I looked to see if there are any Kindle books available by the same author. Yep, you can get Ship Breaker for the Kindle. Or you could buy a hardcover edition of Pump Six and Other Stories. For $489.99--must be really good!

Also, there's a related recommendation on the same page as The Windup Girl for Boneshaker by Cherie Priest that sounds kinda interesting. Amazon classifies is a "Essential Sci Fi".
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Try Baen For The Windup Girl. All non-DRM books.

addall.com list it as MultiFormat so even if it's not set for the kindle you can covert it using Calibre.

PS- have you tried Terry Pratchett

Last edited by SameOldStory; 08-06-2010 at 10:10 PM.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #9
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
If you liked Shogun you may want to try The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell. I've been thinking about reading it.

http://www.amazon.com/Thousand-Autum...=AG56TWVU5XWC2
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:55 PM   #10
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Librarything does a similar cloud format for things you may like based on what's in your library.

I'm really looking forward to sitting down with windup girl at some point. I read the first chapter in the bookstore and fell in love. And then the girlfriend dragged me out kicking and screaming.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #11
BreezyDay
12 Miles and Climbing
BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: none
If you like historical novels like Shogun, then maybe check out: The Fatal Shore - by Roger Hughes. It's a fascinating book about the founding of Australia and contains many firsthand accounts and letters home. It's available on Kindle.

You may also enjoy: The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula Le Guin about a man whose dreams change reality and what ends up happening when he seeks help.

__________________________________________________ ______________
Outsmart the Unexpected (Creativity boosting dilemmas to solve your way out of )
Resources on Creativity, Creative Problem Solving, Thinking on Your Feet, Decision Making, and more
BreezyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:15 PM   #12
Peadar Ó Guilín
Author of The Inferior
Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 (soon...)
George R.R. Martin's "A Game of Thrones" for fantasy.
Neal Stephenson's "Snowcrash" for SF.
Bernard Cornwell's "The Winter King" for violent, historical, character driven fun.
Peadar Ó Guilín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #13
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Try to read Moorcock. Dancer at the End of Time is particularly awesome.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:55 PM   #14
rahulm
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peadar Ó Guilín View Post
George R.R. Martin's "A Game of Thrones" for fantasy.
Neal Stephenson's "Snowcrash" for SF.
Bernard Cornwell's "The Winter King" for violent, historical, character driven fun.
Read the first two. I loved Game of Thrones. Snowcrash started off excellent, but there's a part of the game which basically becomes page after page of exposition and it lost me at that point.

I'm not really into historical books, I read Shogun because feudal Japan was just particularly interesting to me.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #15
Sandra Edwards
Queen of Procrastination
Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2, K3, Fire
Try Jana G. Oliver's Time Rovers Series.

Sandy
Sandra Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote