Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-30-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
aegeus
Enthusiast
aegeus began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader 5
Why not five level zoom support for .doc and .txt files?

We know that 5-inch Pocket Pro device supports 5 level zoom support for .pdf and .epub files; that's very good especially after the last update; but when it comes to .txt and .doc files, which are the most common and easy to produce file types, we are stuck with two level inadequate and one level landscape nonsense zoom. However these are raw texts to process for the device for easy multi level zooming like the .pdf and .epub files.

So my question is, does anybody know why we don't have proper zoom levels for these most common file types and can we have this feature in the near future?

Regards,
aegeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:23 PM   #2
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
What I do is take the files and convert them to PDFs using Windows then publish to PDF.

I also make sure to reformat the files to the size of my ereader screen.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
aegeus
Enthusiast
aegeus began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader 5
Thanks for the advice. That's good interim solution for a few files but I have dozens of word and text files and I don't want to lose time for each file during conversion. I just want to throw the simple word or text file to the device and easily read it without further process and effort&time consumption.

Isn't it the reason this device supports so many file formats?

Regards,
aegeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegeus View Post
We know that 5-inch Pocket Pro device supports 5 level zoom support for .pdf and .epub files; that's very good especially after the last update; but when it comes to .txt and .doc files, which are the most common and easy to produce file types, we are stuck with two level inadequate and one level landscape nonsense zoom. However these are raw texts to process for the device for easy multi level zooming like the .pdf and .epub files.

So my question is, does anybody know why we don't have proper zoom levels for these most common file types and can we have this feature in the near future?

Regards,
I read FB2 files in landscape. All others I read portrait. The reason the landscape zoom is "nonsense" is simply because it is too big! I really don't think it would be hard to fix these problems? It should even be easy to program in a user definable zoom for both portrait and landscape.

I also like the progress bar on FB2 and I do wish other formats had it as well....
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:02 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegeus View Post
Thanks for the advice. That's good interim solution for a few files but I have dozens of word and text files and I don't want to lose time for each file during conversion. I just want to throw the simple word or text file to the device and easily read it without further process and effort&time consumption.

Isn't it the reason this device supports so many file formats?

Regards,
Certainly a good idea to request it. The Jinke team is working so much on the ePUB/PDF issues they haven't even looked at the others. Check the about version page and you will see that there are many different pieces of software used in the device and they are basically independent although they all have to talk to the library browser. Changes in one do not change the other so to get them all changed is a big job. The ePUB/PDF uses ADE but all the others use different tools, for example FB2 format is based on cool reader, mobipocket has its own unique software and most of the others have a complicated multiformat engine that has been around for quite a while now and unchanged.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 03:08 AM   #6
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Certainly a good idea to request it. The Jinke team is working so much on the ePUB/PDF issues they haven't even looked at the others. Check the about version page and you will see that there are many different pieces of software used in the device and they are basically independent although they all have to talk to the library browser. Changes in one do not change the other so to get them all changed is a big job. The ePUB/PDF uses ADE but all the others use different tools, for example FB2 format is based on cool reader, mobipocket has its own unique software and most of the others have a complicated multiformat engine that has been around for quite a while now and unchanged.

Dale
Best description of the issue all ebook manufacturers (not merely brands like Astak is right now) face in developing their platforms. Add to that the need for multi-language support as well. The hardware is very simple for these devices, it is the firmware and other app software that really are the hard part...plus there is the whole issue of some horridly put together ebook files from some alleged "publishers". I really feel for the software teams for these devices where they are trying to be more universal. Jinke is trying I suppose...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote