Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
plasticslug
plasticslug began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Can you pull your kindle off the Amazon grid?

Been looking around and I am going to guess the answer is no...

I have an ipod but have never installed itunes. Rather I use a program called CopyTrans Manager. I dont want to be bothered by amazon or Itunes and thats why I do it.

When technology is tied to a company like that it seems more like you are renting out a piece of hardware rather than actually owning it.

I will probably never buy a book off of amazon (ever). So is there a way to disconnect your kindle amazon?

Has the kindle been hacked in anyway to do this?
plasticslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:07 AM   #2
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Don't turn on the wireless and Amazon will never connect to your reader. You'll have to transfer books by USB, but that's a minor task.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2010, 02:26 AM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
why did you get a kindle?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:26 AM   #4
charonme
Zealot
charonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to behold

Device: K3
you can use the kindle even if it's not registered: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=107746
charonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:10 AM   #5
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
why did you get a kindle?
Exactly what I'm curious to know why - especially as the OP says they probably won't be buying books from Amazon?!?

There are plenty of eink devices which do not have wifi.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2010, 07:44 AM   #6
charonme
Zealot
charonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to behold

Maybe it's possible to hack it in such a way that it won't connect to amazon when using wifi.

kindlekitten, TheKindleWorm: what other ereader would you suggest with these features for this price?
Old 12-02-2010, 07:51 AM   #7
Doug Huffman
Banned
Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.

Location: Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
Device: KINDLE 3 WiFi
Well, the plastic KINDLE is a good tool to be used to the tool-user's benefit.

When one first assays to collect tools, it is very tempting to get the most highly evolved one rather than the most general or versatile. For instance, hammers, the most versatile one is probably a light-weight sledge, but most first-hammers have claws that reduce the striking faces by half.

I agree with the OP, the KINDLE is a fine reader abused by its maker into a marketing tool. Time will liberate all from these cares.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah!
Doug Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:00 AM   #8
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
Don't turn on the wireless and Amazon will never connect to your reader. You'll have to transfer books by USB, but that's a minor task.
I would be surprised if that would be enough. The wireless seems to be switched on and off through software rather than an actual switch, so it could easily be turned on and off without you knowing to check for updates and the like.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:22 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
I would be surprised if that would be enough. The wireless seems to be switched on and off through software rather than an actual switch, so it could easily be turned on and off without you knowing to check for updates and the like.
No, it isn't. It's only on when you turn it on.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:54 AM   #10
mikeayers
Zealot
mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 10thGen, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
With just the wifi model you still need to set up which network to go on, put in ssids ,etc. So i think the chances of the Kindle "phoning home" without you turning things on is pretty remote. I guess you could also get a lead cover to wrap the Kindle in, if you where really worried.

Now with the 3G.... all bets are off.
mikeayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:59 AM   #11
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I guess the software could be programmed to randomly turn on the 3G although I've never heard of that happening or seen it myself. If you only had a WiFi model though you could simply never set-up a WiFi connection and it would never connect.

I have to agree though that if you are that fearful of using the Amazon Whispersync capabilities you'd probably be better of choosing a digital reader that has no wireless capabilities at all.

The Pocketbooks are supposed to be nice, right?

Quote:
the KINDLE is a fine reader abused by its maker into a marketing tool.
??????
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:37 AM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
good grief. some folks just really need to invest in the aluminum market

y'all really are not that important
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tinfoil.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	62170  
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:46 AM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticslug View Post

I have an ipod but have never installed itunes. Rather I use a program called CopyTrans Manager. I dont want to be bothered by amazon or Itunes and thats why I do it.
I'm not sure what you mean by being "bothered" by Amazon. I know iTunes constantly wants to be updated (that's how it seems to me) but that's not the case with the Kindle. You can leave the wireless on and let it update automatically or you can leave it off and update it manually or not at all. Amazon doesn't send sales spam to your Kindle.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #14
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeayers View Post
Now with the 3G.... all bets are off.
I think that if the 3G was able to turn itself on without any user intervention that the Kindle would be prohibited on airplanes, and anyplace else where you have to be sure that connectivity is turned completely off.

I also think that after all this time, we'd have had some reports of the Kindle turning itself on, if it were indeed able to do so.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #15
charonme
Zealot

some of us know what he means and we try to help

Last edited by charonme; 12-02-2010 at 02:45 PM.