Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #16
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
Night Mode: totally ghetto inverted greyscale. images look like negatives. We had very hard arguments about whether to pull it. But it actually really helps for night reading. Another one that will take some time. Though I think we might be able to address the flashing and color settings related issues pretty quick though. When we do, I think we should pull out the inverted mode.
I agree. Fix the screen flashing back to white (for a quick fix, make it flash to selected background colour instead) and there is no need for a night mode, rather than just having a night preset.

About the font sizes. For the book I am testing on, on the largest font size I get 47 lines per page. In Stanza on about 1/3rd of max font size I get 37. The max font size in Stanza gives 16 lines. It may be that you are scaling from the font size in the ePub while Stanza is ignoring it?

The page turn delay is the biggest issue. I can get instantaneous page changes from other apps, and it is too noticeable for me to want to read through at the moment. This is with a 1000 page book, which might affect it.

Last edited by murraypaul; 10-10-2010 at 03:56 PM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #17
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
Thanks. da_jane, Yup me too. Thanks for the input.
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 04:53 PM   #18
Shell30Bell
Avid Reader
Shell30Bell began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPhone
There is a lot to like about the Bluefire app: being able to easily load eBooks through iTunes; Recent/Title/Author sort ability; font size; background colour etc but for now I will be sticking to Txtr. Despite the tiresome process for loading eBooks and the removal of the sort function with the last upgrade, the one function I do like with the Txtr app is the ability to edit the title and author details of the eBooks once on the device. This is something that Bluefire does not (yet?) have. I like to be able to have all of my eBooks in reading order, for example with Lee Child's Jack Reacher series I will edit the title of the books to include JR and then a numerical number to indicate which book in the series it is, and will insert this before the title of the book. That way, when the books are sorted by author, the list will be in reading order. It also enables me to load anthologies several times if I want each story within the anthology to be listed under each authors names.
Shell30Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:51 PM   #19
luismesa
luismesa began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Hi, does Bluefire support direct purchases? I could not see a way to purchase DRMed content from the app (all of it seems like free content). Is that a limitation of the current version of the app or if you do support it, how do you handle the .acsm file that is sent from the CS4 server? I'm testing your DRM capabilities and the only way I can get protected ePub content is to first license it thru ADE which creates the protected ePub and then I email it to Bluefire. Am I missing something?

Thanks.
luismesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:47 PM   #20
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
@Micah,

How long is the "authorizing" supposed to take? Mine just stays stuck there after I input the Adobe ID, then my Ipod goes to sleep.
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 11:30 PM   #21
Shell30Bell
Avid Reader
Shell30Bell began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadata View Post
@Micah,

How long is the "authorizing" supposed to take? Mine just stays stuck there after I input the Adobe ID, then my Ipod goes to sleep.
Mine took less than a minute to authorize after entering Adobe ID and password
Shell30Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:33 PM   #22
jeankap
EReading Gadget Maven
jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: All of 'em.
It works! And it's quite polished for a 1.0 app. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.
jeankap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:05 AM   #23
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
I am pleased with what I see so far. The product pages on the web mention your own OPDS catalog, but I can't see how to add my own? Is that a forthcoming feature?

I do like the balance of formatting options. Respect the publisher's layout, then selective overrides. A good balance between artistic/typographic sensibilities and practical reading considerations.

Last edited by ChristopherTD; 10-11-2010 at 08:09 AM.
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:07 AM   #24
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
Fonts: It was hard to tell in advance how big the download size would be after apple encrypts the app (impacts compression). Ends up we have some good breathing room, so next update we'll put in more fonts (suggestions are welcome, but know that we use .otf). We plan to allow users to import their own fonts (otf) not sure yet though if that will make the very next update, but it is easier than it sounds.
It may be heresy to suggest it, but the Droid Serif fonts designed for Android are quite nice. Like Geogia they are designed with screen resolution in mind.
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:56 AM   #25
bibliovault
bibliovault has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bibliovault has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bibliovault has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: all!
>This is possible with BFR, but unfortunately at present this requires
> that a library make a specific type of link to do that (easy to do,
> but Libraries are not particularly nimble at times).

Hi--

Can you post or point me to an example of a link that'll do that?

Thanks...
bibliovault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:24 PM   #26
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:24 PM   #27
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Just arrived back in Seattle. 10 hr flight.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:27 PM   #28
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

@ChristopherTD, not heresy at all. We were demoing our Android version at our booth in Frankfurt on a 2.2 Tablet, and it was a nice device, and the app works well on it. Page turn is just a tad slower (sorry to say murray aul) but still comfortable for my reading at least. But probably won't be good enought to release for a few months.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:33 PM   #29
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

@bibliovault. Yes, I'll list the protocol links, but know that as I've looked into it more, it looks like there might be more to it, depending on how ACS4 operators configure. Hope to have a better answer for you tomorrow. We should do some testing before I speak too fast.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #30
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadata View Post
@Micah,

Should take only a minute, might be a network issue.