Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 01-28-2012, 01:52 AM   #16
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryfrompa View Post
Off-topic: I was pricing some things on Newegg's Trade-In Center and was amazed to see that the PE (and I assume the EE) are worth nothing and called defunct. The company is defunct, but the PE is the coolest tablet around.
Newegg used to carry the PE. I don't know whether they ever carried the EE. I have never looked at their trade-in center -- do they only take back items that still have manufacturers? Just wondering. Newegg sold the PE before enTourage went out of business, stopped carrying it shortly before the company died, if I remember correctly.

Still off topic: I'm glad you think the PE is the coolest tablet (you've had it long enough for that to mean something! ). I do too -- with the exception of the EE which is equally cool! I still mourn the day the company went under.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:05 AM   #17
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
as far as I am concerned I do not mourn Entourage, they where a bunch of arrogant idi*ts and the demise of the company is the result of their attitude.
I understand Russians got IP rights for the device and we may see production in Russia to address educational needs.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2012, 05:39 AM   #18
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired
hilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-books

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Newegg used to carry the PE. I don't know whether they ever carried the EE. I have never looked at their trade-in center -- do they only take back items that still have manufacturers? Just wondering. Newegg sold the PE before enTourage went out of business, stopped carrying it shortly before the company died, if I remember correctly.

Still off topic: I'm glad you think the PE is the coolest tablet (you've had it long enough for that to mean something! ). I do too -- with the exception of the EE which is equally cool! I still mourn the day the company went under.
Boy, would I love to know what Newegg sold them for!

It *is* sort of spooky, having devices essentially state-of-the-art from a company that's out of business. Friends and I were talking about it the other day. No one had ever seen (or heard of) what I had; they all thought it was "the bees' knees." At one point, when I said they had been manufactured in McLean, VA, one friend said, Hey, maybe they were spy technology! Now I'm looking at that little spruce goose in my corner and thinking

(Well, I still haven't read the Android Manual. I hope to do it this weekend.)
hilaryfrompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:47 AM   #19
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

no was manufactured in China, I think still in FoxConn. The USA address was for marketing ploy. While the idea is good (dual lcd/e-ink), the hardware inside (apart from Eink and the wacom digitiser) is the same 30 dollar board (avenger penguin lite) like in sheeva plug, old power hungry CPU (hence reduced battery life even compared with a nook color), bad implementation of the governors, 30 cents cameras, original inflated sales price.... etc.
so definitely a state of the arch device, not spy tech.,. But does what I need it for.
And thanks to ktwombley and pablob (not entourage) a much better device.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #20
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired
hilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
And thanks to ktwombley and pablob (not entourage) a much better device.
Oh my goodness, YES! But also Obsessed2; didn't he come up with the first update?
Advert
Old 01-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #21
vicinc
Guru

YES, is a better unit thanks to community.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #22
dlw
dlw began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, Pocket eDGe, Nexus (2012), and now an iPad Air (3)
Well, hillaryfrompa, I'm not sure your basic question got answered.

You might as well call those black things with the tiny white / yellow / orange writing menus -- I do. The "permissions" menu is Google's effort to enforce their policy, "We're not evil -- you shouldn't be either." The colored warnings let you know what the application you're about to install wants to do with your hardware and system software. The clearest explanation I've found is here. Google's attempt to explain permissions is here.

Hope this helps.
dlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #23
dlw
dlw began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, Pocket eDGe, Nexus (2012), and now an iPad Air (3)
OOpS -- rereading page 1, I find you answered your own question.

My bad. Your good.
dlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:59 AM   #24
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlw View Post
OOpS -- rereading page 1, I find you answered your own question.

My bad. Your good.
No no, you're right! You're good! The original question wasn't truly answered. Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts: "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like me."

What I don't understand is why talk about "permissions" if an Android user can't agree to or disagree with them? I mean individually--such as, yes, I'll permit this app to do such-and-such, but not so-and-so? If there's no answer to THIS question, I'd also like to just know.

Last edited by hilaryfrompa; 01-30-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:26 AM   #25
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryfrompa View Post
What I don't understand is why talk about "permissions" if an Android user can't agree to or disagree with them? I mean individually--such as, yes, I'll permit this app to do such-and-such, but not so-and-so? If there's no answer to THIS question, I'd also like to just know.
The answer may not be simple but by listing what the app wants to do gives you the choice of using that app or not.

There is a reason why you are not able to pick and chose what parts of the app you want to use. All apps are built as complete units requiring all the parts to work together for the app to work as the developer intended. If you were able to pick and chose just the bits you wanted it most probably wouldn't work or, if it did, it would crack at unexpected times.

In the light of the above, it has to be an all or nothing approach to granting permissions for apps.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #26
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
The answer may not be simple but by listing what the app wants to do gives you the choice of using that app or not.

There is a reason why you are not able to pick and chose what parts of the app you want to use. All apps are built as complete units requiring all the parts to work together for the app to work as the developer intended. If you were able to pick and chose just the bits you wanted it most probably wouldn't work or, if it did, it would crack at unexpected times.

In the light of the above, it has to be an all or nothing approach to granting permissions for apps.
Finally a total answer!!!