Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-29-2007, 05:34 PM   #1
TheDragonMaster
TheDragonMaster began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Problems with e-library

I installed the reader library software and had been using the reader for about a week with no problems, when I decided to convert a few of my files to a better format for the reader.

I installed the abc palm tool for converting pdb's to lrf, which worked for most of them, but left others unreadable, no worries though as the system was still fine, and I had access to more of my ebooks.

Then I installed Book Designer. That is where the problems started. I had an rtf file that I wanted to convert to lrf. It was all ready to go, but when I tried the conversion the system froze. Now during installation I received an error about the usb driver not installing properly. This didn't concern me too much as I figured on only using it for conversions.

After all of that, the library software doesn't quite work anymore. Both the reader and the library work fine on their own. The problem arises when I connect the reader to the system with the library open. As soon as the library begins scanning the reader, it freezes. This in turn causes the reader to freeze unless I reset the reader.

I'm using windows xp home and have rolled back the system to a point before the library software was installed, and have reset the reader more times than I'd care to think about. Any idea's on what went wrong, or what can be done to fix it?
TheDragonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Uninstall all reader related software. Goto the device manager and delete all usb driver entries for the reader. Now reinstall the software.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2007, 02:04 AM   #3
TheDragonMaster

I uninstalled library, again.
I uninstalled the driver (is there another driver other than the mass storage device one?).

And it still freezes up. Am I missing something?
Old 10-30-2007, 10:57 AM   #4
moneytoo
Enthusiast
moneytoo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Have you deleted Sony and kinoma folder from your Application Data folder (somewhere in Documents in Setting\your username\)?
moneytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:32 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Did you first unregister the computer from the Connect Store before uninstalling?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2007, 01:04 PM   #6
TheDragonMaster

This time around I started with unregistering my computer from the Connect Store.
I then uninstalled the library software, and deleted the sony folder (from within the program files folder, couldn't find an application data folder).
Then uninstalled the usb driver from within device manager.

I reinstalled the library, then reconnected the reader, and it froze up again. I know I asked this before, but as I didn't get an answer I'll ask again. Is there more than one driver that must be uninstalled? Or just the one labeled "mass storage device"?
Old 10-30-2007, 03:44 PM   #7
pmintpatty
pmintpatty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
After owning my 505 approx 10 days the library would "quit responding" each time I connect the 505. Have a 500 model that works properly using same pc, USB port & library. My 505 is a joy to use but cannot communicate with the library. Tried soft reset, deauthorizing, uninstall & reinstall. Spent over 1 hour yesterday on phone with sony tech support. Following hard reset was able to sync 505 with library. However, once I removed 505 & closed library could not get library to function with reader again. Back on the phone today & after much repeating & repeating I said I should not have to do a hard reset every time I wanted to use the library. Tech said sounds like a defective unit & wanted to make a repair ticket. As this 505 was delivered 10/10/07 (purchased @ sonystyle.com) I explained I didn't feel I should have to wait for a repair. Was referred to sonystyle customer service to place an order for new blue 505, which is on back order. Had to give a credit card # to place the order & when it ships with free overnite air, my card will be charged. After the new 505 is delivered I was told to contact Sony for RMA, & I will receive an email with postpaid FedEx ship label to return defective unit to Sony, Laredo, Texas. At some point will be processed & my credit card will be credited. Good luck with your unit.
pmintpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:17 PM   #8
TheDragonMaster

Quick question: If I had installed libprs500, could that have caused the problems I'm experiencing? If so, should rolling back the drivers have fixed the problem?
Old 11-01-2007, 11:55 PM   #9
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
From the original post, you said that you installed the BC Palm tool, if you mean the ABC Amber Palm Converter it will convert most (but not all) PDB files to multiple text formats but LRF is not one of them. They can however create very usable RTF and HTML files for subsequent processing by other programs.

The only connection between the Sony eLibrary software and BookDesigner that I have discovered is when you choose to preview the LRF book that you have just created and it invokes the software through the registry entry for LRF type files. Beyond that I do not think there is a linkage that should have caused any problems with your computer.

You did follow Jon's excellent instructions for installing the base BD 4.0 and then unzipping the contents of the latest stable update on top of that original installation, didn't you? I do not know of any use that BD 5 makes of any USB driver as your original post seemed to imply. Perhaps you intended the USB reference to be directed at the install of the Sony Reader software. As I understand it (and please correct me if I'm wrong) the Sony USB driver is required for the 500 but not for the 505 since it is already recognized by the system as a mass storage device.

libprs500 has its own USB driver for the 500 and as I remember it does not work well if it is installed on the same machine as the Sony USB driver for the 500. I know kovid has a 505 and is updating his fantastic collection of programs for the 505 but I do not know where he is in the process. Perhaps this is a better choice for you than BD as you can use the HTML output from the Palm converter as an input for html2lrf in libprs500.

I use all three (3) programs and keep the Sony eLibrary and BD on one machine (WinXP) and libprs500 on another machine (also WinXP.) Both machines have been very stable for me.

I hope this helps.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:49 PM   #10
TheDragonMaster

When I installed BD I only installed 4.0, didn't realize that the update was necesary as lrf conversion no mention of that as a change was made in the wiki. I now have it updated to 5.0 though I haven't used it for conversions yet as I am still trying to get the files edited (only 400 pages left to go).

I have tried uninstalling the software, rolling back drivers, etc. The problem started when I tried to install libprs500 and it gave me the driver install error (before I realized that I could skip driver installation). I have since tried to get the eLibrary driver installed, but it won't do so properly. Having all but given up on that I tried to get libprs500's driver installed properly, which it says it has though it still doesn't seem to work. Now the problem seems to have gotten worse, and the system freezes whenever the PRS is connected to the computer, no matter whether the other software is open/installed or not.

I got a few suggestions from a buddy of mine on what might work and I'll try those and get back to the forum. The file that seems to be giving me trouble is a driver titled USBSTOR. If anyone has dealt with it, I'd love to hear what solutions you've found.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:00 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is there an entry in your device manager that reades Libusb-win32? If so delete all drivers under it. Also are you using the 500 or the 505?
Old 11-04-2007, 09:21 PM   #12
TheDragonMaster

There is no entry for libusb-win32. I'm using the 505. Does version 0.4.17 have support for the 505?

Last edited by TheDragonMaster; 11-04-2007 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:26 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If there is no libusb entry then the libprs500 usb drivers are not installed. 505 support in libprs500 is buggy at the moment. Note that you dont need USB drivers to use the 505 in libprs500. If you are experiencing lockups when inserting the device into your computer it's almost certainly a windows/hardware issue as the device uses the mass storage driver.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:25 PM   #14
TheDragonMaster

Well, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the eBook Library software a few more times, tried the libprs500 software a few more times (which still won't recognize that the device is connected) and finally went to Sony Tech Support. After walking me through a hard reset followed by yet another reinstall which (temporarily) made everything work, until I restarted the computer. Now, when installed, eBook Library no longer crashes when the PRS is connected, but it also doesn't recognize that it is connected (though for some reason it seems to recognize the flash card that was added to the PRS).

Short version is that I've given up on getting any of that kind of software to work on my system, with my PRS. But is there anything (other than collections) which I am losing access to by doing so? Can I manually create collections (a link would be great)?

Thanks to everyone who through their two cents in to help me sort this out.

P.S. Did my first few conversions with BD and it works great.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:17 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Did you install the data files for Book Cleaner? if you want a better conversion experience with BD, then you should setup Book Cleaner according to the sticky thread.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote