Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-19-2015, 06:56 PM   #2086
CoolkcaH
CoolkcaH began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi (US, Intl) 90D4
Uninstalled Duokan and used the snapshop, that worked.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Duokan has a designed-in conflict with our jail break certificate.

Start out by (re-)installing the most recent (like, yesterday) jailbreak from NiLuJe's snapshot thread (its prefix is: tools).

That should not disturb your Doukan install.

Be sure to keep it away from Wifi networks until your ready to update to 5.6.5 firmware.

Note that the 5.6.5 update should trash your Doukan install.
**except** for the things Doukan did to your /var/local directory contents.
there might be conflicts there also after you update to 5.6.5

Last edited by CoolkcaH; 08-19-2015 at 07:04 PM.
CoolkcaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:00 AM   #2087
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Refreshed the USBNet package in the first post with a hotfix for an issue that broke installs when not using MRPI.
Plus, you get a bonus ag, since that was introduced in the snapshots after the initial release .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-23-2015 at 11:09 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2015, 02:20 AM   #2088
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
This happened to me again yesterday. The minute I had connected to wi-fi.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
I had a jailbreak, KUAL and SS hack installed.
Yesterday I connect my kindle to my wi-fi (it's always in airplane mode, but I needed to mail myself a document) and suddenly my SS hack doesn't work. I'm back to crappy amazon screensavers.
I check KUAL and the backdoor lock which is always locked, and it says UNLOCKED!!
Why? How? I have no idea. I know I locked it. How did it get unlocked??

My firmware is 5.6.2.1
KUAL is still installed.

How do I get my SS hack back? I tried setting it back in KUAL and restarting the device, but it's no go. What do I need to do?

EDIT: I had the newest jailbreak.

and this worked again
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
Re-installed MR Package Installer, and then added kindle python and kindle links files and I have my SS hack back.

Thanks.

It's safe to say that backdoor lock doesn't work, at least on my PW2.
My FV now after this sneaky update is 5.6.5.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:00 AM   #2089
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@Geralt-
Thanks for the confirmation... Airplane mode it is!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 02:41 PM   #2090
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
No problem. Forgot to add, my PW2 is Japanese model. I dont know how others would react.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2015, 12:20 AM   #2091
srs
srs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.srs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.srs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs 300
I'm trying to update my jailbreak, and after the kindle reboots, it says the update was not successful, Update Error: 4?

My current firmware is 5.4.5.1

edit: user error, unzipping the wrong file.

Last edited by srs; 09-05-2015 at 12:33 AM.
srs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 04:25 PM   #2092
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
So apparently, unlike the rumors on some blogs that say active contents will not be supported on newer PW and Voyage, I'd like to say that in next update, Amazon is planning to bring apps (active contents) to both. The issue had been higher resolution on these 2 variants (300 ppi)... not some fancy non-fiction rocket-science rubbish some bloggers say - by exaggerating they seek attention or hits?! Simply just ppi, and needs time to get apps compatible. That's it. No sweats and no mumbo-jumbo bloggers!

I didn't want to create a thread just for this, so I'd guess which thread to hijack better than the one created by one and only NiLuJe!

Last edited by thatworkshop; 09-12-2015 at 06:47 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:14 PM   #2093
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Apparently, 5.6.5 already took care of that (at least as far as what we care about).
Old 09-17-2015, 02:18 PM   #2094
ereada
ereada began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
So if were already on 5.6.5 and never jailbreak ed then were screwed? There's no way to jailbreak? or install apps?

I got a Japanese PW2
ereada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:39 PM   #2095
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You can always try the serial jailbreak (documented in the sticky thread in this forum)...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:38 PM   #2096
bookreader1
Enthusiast
bookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
hi,

I followed the instructions in this thread, and successfully installed a whole bunch of things. But now I've got a problem trying to install USB Networking (and at this point, I think any installer).

I successfully jailbroke my Kindle PW2 5.4.4.2 as follows:

- jailbroke with kindle-jailbreak-1.14.N
- blocked updates by creating update.bin.tmp.partial folder
- further blocked updates by installing update_backdoorlock_12_install.bin
- installed KUAL-v2.6.zip
- installed kual-helper-0.5.N
- installed k5_rescue_pack_20150705
- installed Arrow Coward's Rescue Pack Addon crpa_2.zip
- installed KPVBooklet (and since uninstalled it)- kindle-kpvbooklet-0.6.1
- installed KOReader
- installed Additional Menu Items for KUAL 2.1+, MR Package Installer (MRPI), GNU Awk Installer, and Kindle Menu with its pre-packaged extensions

Everything works well.

But now I want the screensaver hack and USB Networking...

I put the Update_usbnet_0.21.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3.bin at the root, but the Update your Kindle menu is not available.

Same thing with the Screensaver hack, installing the
Update_python_0.14.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3.bin
followed by the
Update_linkss_0.24.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3.bin
at the root... no Update menu...

I also tried adding them to the mrpackages folder and using the MRInstaller method, and it seems to be successful, I see it saying that it destroys the installer and now rebooting the UI...but then it never gets installed.

One thing I just noticed is that under KUAL > Helper+, the first option says "BEGIN Grayed Installer". I wonder if thats because I have an uninstalled item in mrpackages and it knows the Update your Kindle menu is grayed out? I am afraid to do that though, not sure if thats whats if for or why I am grayed out in the first place.

Any ideas? Thank you

Last edited by bookreader1; 10-06-2015 at 07:00 PM.
bookreader1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:50 PM   #2097
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@bookreader1: Double check the wiki on how to ID a Kindle. You have a PW1 not a PW2.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:35 PM   #2098
bookreader1
Enthusiast
bookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheese

omg, thanks, you are right! i can't believe that. i was certain i had a PW2 but I was wrong.

now i'm actually surprised i didn't brick the device and also very surprised how well everything worked in spite of myself.... pretty impressive tools these are.

tomorrow i'll go back and use the other binaries and see if that doesnt fix it

another dumb question... the USBnet.... is its purpose strictly to give SSH access over WIFI, or can it also be used to connect to Calibre over WIFI, making Calibre think you've plugged it right in via USB?

thank you
Old 10-07-2015, 12:05 AM   #2099
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookreader1 View Post
omg, thanks, you are right! i can't believe that. i was certain i had a PW2 but I was wrong.

now i'm actually surprised i didn't brick the device and also very surprised how well everything worked in spite of myself.... pretty impressive tools these are.

tomorrow i'll go back and use the other binaries and see if that doesnt fix it

another dumb question... the USBnet.... is its purpose strictly to give SSH access over WIFI, or can it also be used to connect to Calibre over WIFI, making Calibre think you've plugged it right in via USB?

thank you
ssh or telnet over either USB cable or Wifi.
plus a few other 'extras' in the same package.

Calibre - no.
At least that was someone else's desire and I don't recall they ever posted how they did that.

What you need is to export the Kindle file system (well, part of it) and mount that into the file system of the machine which is running Calibre.
ssh is not the tool for that.

The Kindles run Linux.
Linux supports a variety of ways to export parts of its file system.
So it is possible, just that the above poster never told us which one they used and how well it worked.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:30 PM   #2100
bookreader1
Enthusiast

thanks...

so if i am correct, it seems the main (only?) purpose of USB networking, whether over USB or WIFI, is simply to gain back access to the entire filesystem, not the /mnt/us section where books/apps are stored.

i really can't see the reason for any of usb networking for the average user.

in the old days, i used to use this method to load books over wifi.

but nowadays, its just as easy to use the calibre content server, so am not sure i'll really use it for anything.

in any case, i managed to got the ssh working over wifi vith private keys. for some reason, i had a problem with other named keys (ie, not named id_rsa....so had to gen some new keys with proper name)

if i can suggest some things that would have helped me in the README or might save people some time.

1) "the purpose of USB networking, whether over USB or WIFI, is simply to gain back access to the entire filesystem, not the /mnt/us section where books/apps are stored." (if true)

2) your kindle will NOT be pingable over WIFI, even if it responds to SSH/telnet

3) /usbnet/etc/config

KINDLE_IP=192.168.15.244 #do NOT touch this if you want SSH over WIFI. You might think this should be an address in your routers subnet, but it's not, just leave it alone.

USE_WIFI="true"

USE_WIFI_SSHD_ONLY="true" #set TRUE to keep allowing kindle to mount via USB while still allowing SSH over WIFI. (I think this should prob be default option?)

USE_OPENSSH="true" # put pub keys in etc/authorized_Keys dont worry about perms.

4) some SFTP clients are buggy with private keys, try multiple clients.

5) rename /usbnet/DISABLED_auto to /usbnet/auto # i think this is like typing ';un' after each book, ie enabling usb networking each boot. This might be suggested to be default option if USE_WIFI_SSD_ONLY is set to true since USB access is preserved.

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch