Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-19-2010, 02:08 PM   #46
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I doubt your HTML files have DRM. Can you open them in your browser with File -> Open? If so, no DRM.

As someone said, converting Html to ePub in Calibre is trival. You can write a very simple batch file which will do them all with one command.

BOb
Don't even need the batch file. Just highlight all the books in the library you want to convert, click convert, and voila!

Probably want to set up your preferences first, though, but the conversion is easy-peasy.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:19 PM   #47
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Don't even need the batch file. Just highlight all the books in the library you want to convert, click convert, and voila!
Your directions are talking about the Calibre UI. Well of course you have to add them all to the library first in order to do it that way... which is what I think the OP was referring to when he said it is a pain doing 60 at a time.

I was talking about just converting them without even adding them to the library.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 02:40 PM   #48
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Your directions are talking about the Calibre UI. Well of course you have to add them all to the library first in order to do it that way... which is what I think the OP was referring to when he said it is a pain doing 60 at a time.

I was talking about just converting them without even adding them to the library.

BOb
If you have the files in a single directory you can select them all at once from the "add" dialog box in Calibre. Once added you just select all of them in list view and hit convert. Pretty straightforward. If they're in different directories you'll end up hitting the add button for each file, but still a very quick conversion process once you get them in calendar. You can also just drag and drop into the main Calibre window which is probably even faster than hitting the "add" button.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:46 PM   #49
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
If you have the files in a single directory you can select them all at once from the "add" dialog box in Calibre.
I know, but it takes time to add them all... It could be converting just as quickly... just a simple...

for %i in (*.html) do calibre-convert %i /s

or whatever the calibre command line command is.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:40 PM   #50
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
I know, but it takes time to add them all... It could be converting just as quickly... just a simple...

for %i in (*.html) do calibre-convert %i /s

or whatever the calibre command line command is.

BOb
Bob, you may know what that means, but I don't, and I doubt most people would either.

So for you, that may be 'easy', but for most of us, 'click on that button' is much 'easier'.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 06:38 PM   #51
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Sounds like its time for a wiki entry on batch conversion using calibre without the ui! Perhaps this weekend?

Honestly I had no idea you could batch convert using calibre-convert without adding them all by hand. I will definitely be trying it out.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:50 PM   #52
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
The newspapers on the DR1000 are handled by PressReader which comes from NewsPapersDirect. I assume it's the same on the DR800.
Yes, confirmed by iRex.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:15 AM   #53
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
Thank you for the help it sounds pretty easy to convert.

I have a question to whomever has their hands on one. The "flipper bar" is it as flimsy as it looks? It looks like something that could very easily be broken.

Another question is is there a dictionary? It's not a major thing for me but it would be nice.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:51 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Annotation and zoom were not expected, but why on earth would they remove the dictionary function that they demonstrated earlier? Who on earth is going to by a reader for this price when its competitors have more features and, in the case of the Kindle and the Nook, a lower price?
K2 and nook have smaller 6" screens. So it's not really a fair comparison.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:37 AM   #55
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittybye View Post
Thank you for the help it sounds pretty easy to convert.

I have a question to whomever has their hands on one. The "flipper bar" is it as flimsy as it looks? It looks like something that could very easily be broken.

Another question is is there a dictionary? It's not a major thing for me but it would be nice.
No, the flipper bar actually feels very solid. It has a nice "soft click" action. A little tough to explain, but definitely feels good. The one difference from the press photos is that they've made the flipper bar body colored and not metal colored. Looks better this way from my point of view.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:22 PM   #56
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
I'd be all over this if it were $150.
Yeah, I'd buy a Porsche if it was $10,000, too. Oh wait, there's a reason it isn't.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:08 AM   #57
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I like the width of the reading area on this one much better than on the 6" readers. I wish devices this size were more common.
Hear! Hear!
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:45 AM   #58
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Hear! Hear!
It's really just a tradeoff: the portability of the 6" reader that I can slip in my hip pocket versus the width of a reader where the lines of text aren't oddly shortened just so they fit on the narrow display. I just happen to prefer the latter. The text on this wider display looks more like what I've been reading in pbooks for most of my life and so I think it would be more comfortable for me to read. Reading on a 6" reader feels a bit too much like reading on a cellphone display and is a bit bothersome. Now, if I could have both worlds (a small device that had the wider display - perhaps by folding or rolling it up) I might be really interested in that.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #59
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Now, if I could have both worlds (a small device that had the wider display - perhaps by folding or rolling it up) I might be really interested in that.
Patience, grasshopper, give it a few years. I'm sure rollable displays will be here fairly soon. What would be very cool, and what I wouldn't be at all surprised to see in the next 20 years or so would be a substrate for the display that could actually be stretched. When you're done reading, press the sides inward and the device actually becomes smaller without the need to roll it or fold it. Fits in your pocket that way. Want to read? Just pull the sides away from each other, and it stretches out to a larger size for easier reading.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:13 PM   #60
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
No, the flipper bar actually feels very solid.
Agreed. The DR800 flipbar actually feels a lot more solid than the iLiad's flipbar, and my iLiad one is 3 years old and still going strong. I wouldn't worry about it.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote