Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 10-16-2009, 09:58 AM   #1
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook One, PocketBook 360, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
oi-hanlin-v3all-live-20091015

Has anyone out there really got this to work? Once again, I can't -- and have followed all the installation instructions posted.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

oi-hanlin-v3all-live-20091015 - Partial Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
Has anyone out there really got this to work? Once again, I can't -- and have followed all the installation instructions posted.
OK, I'm making some progress. I currently have two BoBooks. On one I have the BeBook (Mobi) firmware installed, and on the other I have the latest OpenInkpot firmware.

When I insert the SD card with the current live OI in the Bebook which is already loaded with OI, the live version will not boot from the SD card. However, when I put the SD card with the live OI in the BeBook with the Bebook firmware, THEN the live OI will boot.
Advert
Old 10-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
OK, I'm making some progress. I currently have two BoBooks. On one I have the BeBook (Mobi) firmware installed, and on the other I have the latest OpenInkpot firmware.

When I insert the SD card with the current live OI in the Bebook which is already loaded with OI, the live version will not boot from the SD card. However, when I put the SD card with the live OI in the BeBook with the Bebook firmware, THEN the live OI will boot.
OOPS! Use of the OI live version on my BeBook with my BeBook firmware TOTALLY WIPED ALL all the data (titles and operating system) on my main memory. I had to reformat it, reload the firmware and titles. What lesson have I learned? I guess that I can't have the OI live version functioning on the same reader that has BeBook firmware and titles installed in the main memory.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:06 PM   #4
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
OOPS! Use of the OI live version on my BeBook with my BeBook firmware TOTALLY WIPED ALL all the data (titles and operating system) on my main memory. I had to reformat it, reload the firmware and titles. What lesson have I learned? I guess that I can't have the OI live version functioning on the same reader that has BeBook firmware and titles installed in the main memory.
I have just posted the following on the BeBook forum:

"Live OpenInkpot Bricked my BeBook - Help!

"Postby ascherjim on Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:03 am
I tried the new version of the live OpenInkpot with my BeBook which had the February (Mobi) firmware loaded. While the live OI worked all right from the SD card, when I then attempted to go back to the main memory to see and read my titles with the BeBook firmware, nothing worked. The titles were gone and the firmware frozen. I reformatted the main memory (FAT 16), reloaded the (Feb.) firmware, and recopied my titles into the main memory from my back-up. The BeBook booted fine but could not see any of my titles, which I knew were in the main memory because they were clearly revealed there on my PC when connected to the BeBook.

"Anyone have any ideas what I might try doing next? Obviously, the BeBook firmware is not reading the main memory."
Old 10-21-2009, 06:06 PM   #5
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
http://openinkpot.org/ticket/550
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
Dottedmag: Let's not be so cryptic, please. Am I to infer from your posting that the live version NO LONGER converts the internal file system from Fat 16 to JFFS2 as it did to mine when the live snapshot was first re-posted on October 15? Does the live version subsequently posted on October 18 rectify this situation? I don't want to be bitten twice. Thanks and regards.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:03 PM   #7
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Correct. Not sure about 1018, but it definitely will work as expected in 0.2-rc3 (to be pubished in a minutes).
Old 10-21-2009, 07:11 PM   #8
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
Correct. Not sure about 1018, but it definitely will work as expected in 0.2-rc3 (to be pubished in a minutes).
Many thanks. I stand ready to finally implement the dual version I've intended for so long. By the way, what are you doing still awake so presumably late at night, when you should be getting your (well-deserved) rest?
Old 10-21-2009, 07:18 PM   #9
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder

Everyone in team except me is in Europe, so I'm living by UTC+1 time. Time to sleep, but not a deep night yet
Old 10-26-2009, 07:17 PM   #10
Subspace
Subspace began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook
I've downloaded the oi-hanlin-v3all-live-0.2~rc3.zip version and tried to use it on my Bebook. I still got the error that my internal memory got wiped out, so i had to format it. I was impressed by the new logo and menu, but also I couldn't get very far using the new oi version. My device always froze when i pushed 2 buttons too quick (too quick = less than 10seconds) after each other and i had to reset it. This even happened when setting the clock at the boot up. The furthest i managed to get was into 1 Book but after turning 2 pages i had a freeze again. I'm very sad that the new flash version isnt working yet on my bebook, I was very happy with the snapshot i had before that (i think it was june/july) but i hope you guys can at least get a little out of my nooby feedback.

I'm very much looking forward to the final version of the 0.2 firmware and i'm hoping it will run live on my bebook. Most of all I appreciate the decent pdf viewer. Thank you and keep up all the good work!