Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-19-2013, 05:34 AM   #1
paolog
Zealot
paolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook touch 622
suggestion on ebook reader app

I've a little question and i've read a lot on the forum without solve it.

I've my own ebook reader and a lot of books (bought and free).

I'd like to read them (i can leave djvus and drm protected) also on my wife's Iphone (5)

I use calibre to manage my books and I've my backup on google drive and dropbox.

I'd like to avoid the use of itunes

Which ebook reader would you suggest?

many thanks, paolo
paolog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:56 AM   #2
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
You have the books on dropbox already? No need to access itunes. You open your dropbox app, or the website, download the book and tell it to open in. It will open in iBooks, Stanza (all but defunct) ShubookSE, Apabi Reader, Bluefire, and many others. I am still using Stanza on my iPhone 4S but it wont be updated to take advantage of the larger iPhone 5 screen, so I would recommend iBooks or Bluefire at the moment. Watch for an iPhone version of Marvin, when the dev gets round to it, he's currently concentrating on the iPad version.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2013, 06:06 AM   #3
paolog
Zealot
paolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five words

hi kyteflyer

I tried Stanza but crashes

I'll try the others

I tried only pdfs at the moment, they are read fine by iBooks, I assume, but when I close and reopen the book, it is simply opened at the cover page not at the page where I was since I closed.

Do I need to download somewhere in the phone (and how? I've no choice...)

thank you very much for the suggestions

paolo
Old 03-19-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I'll second kyteflyer....Marvin on the iPad and bluefire (until Marvin is released) on the iPhone. That means I need to keep my books as drm-free epubs, but that is my preference anyway.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolog View Post
hi kyteflyer

I tried Stanza but crashes

I'll try the others

I tried only pdfs at the moment, they are read fine by iBooks, I assume, but when I close and reopen the book, it is simply opened at the cover page not at the page where I was since I closed.

Do I need to download somewhere in the phone (and how? I've no choice...)

thank you very much for the suggestions

paolo
I'm sorry Paolo, I didn't really think about PDF when I was thinking ebooks. I am recommending those above for epub, not PDF. If you want to read PDF then I think Goodreader (not free, but worth every penny) is your best option. Bluefire also reads PDF. However, I wouldnt read PDF on my phone, its too small. Why don't you convert the PDFs to epub?

You'll need to download from the App Store on the phone if you are wanting to avoid iTunes.

May I ask why you don't want to use iTunes? Is it because you don't like it, or because the phone is your wife's and you don't want to get the accounts confused? The thing is, the phone doesn't care, you still have to use the App Store to get applications.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 03-19-2013 at 02:36 PM.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #6
paolog
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I'm sorry Paolo, I didn't really think about PDF when I was thinking ebooks. I am recommending those above for epub, not PDF. If you want to read PDF then I think Goodreader (not free, but worth every penny) is your best option. Bluefire also reads PDF. However, I wouldnt read PDF on my phone, its too small. Why don't you convert the PDFs to epub?
I tried for the ebook reader I have and that didn't satisfied me. The pdf I tried so far are well formatted so in iPhone is readable, even in vertical position.

I agree with you that the Iphone isn't good for that purpose.

Anyway there are only few pdf in my library, all the others are epub (most) or djvu.

Quote:
May I ask why you don't want to use iTunes? Is it because you don't like it, or because the phone is your wife's and you don't want to get the accounts confused? The thing is, the phone doesn't care, you still have to use the App Store to get applications.
it's quite simple.

I have linux boxes. On them I've xp virtualized for special progs (those that my wife has for job and exists only for win systems), so I could put iTunes there.
But since both linux boxes read directly the iPhone file system structure, i'd like to avoid to install a couple of hundreds of mb in those virtualized XP system when I can do the same job with a cut&paste via linux.

As for the apps, I got them via the appstore on the phone itself

Last edited by paolog; 03-20-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
My personal preference to read pdf and ePub is iBooks. It's not perfect but it works for me, and it keeps my iPhone and iPad in sync, at least for ePubs (I rarely read PDFs).

Not sure I would recommend GoodReader to read PDFs unless you want to annotate them (and there are better apps even for that). It's a great file manager but the interface is clunky and it's slow to display large pdf files.

I just made a test and iBooks on iPad remembers the place I was reading in a PDF. There must be an option somewhere to activate this, but it might be in iTunes. I can't see anything in the iOS settings app.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #8
paolog
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post

I just made a test and iBooks on iPad remembers the place I was reading in a PDF. There must be an option somewhere to activate this, but it might be in iTunes. I can't see anything in the iOS settings app.

or, may be, i read the pdf directly from the cloud instead of download it on the phone.

I'll try
Old 03-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
paolog
Zealot

solved,

I've installed Bluefire, then told from google drive to open with it (Bluefire) and things gone well

cannot do the same for iBooks since from google drive there is no such option to open with iBooks

Old 03-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #10
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolog View Post
solved,

I've installed Bluefire, then told from google drive to open with it (Bluefire) and things gone well

cannot do the same for iBooks since from google drive there is no such option to open with iBooks

Yes there is.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:03 AM   #11
paolog
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Yes there is.
I'll look better
Old 06-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #12
Mook4Nook
Mook4Nook began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Is there any ebook reader app that if I download an epub file (drm free) from online and I unzip the file, can I just open it or move it over to said app? Something like Aldiko for the Android which was pretty much the same process I use if I was on the computer?

I tried to download said files on my iP5 and it was saying that file cannot be opened
Mook4Nook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Do not unzip the ePub file. It is fine as is with the .epub extension. There are many apps for iOS. look in our wiki https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-bo...Phone_and_iPad for a list. How are you downloading the file to your iPhone?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You cannot use Aldiko on an iOS device. Use Bluefire Reader on an iPhone and either Bluefire or Marvin on an iPad.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #15
Mook4Nook
Mook4Nook began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
It's not an ePub file yet until I unzip its normal a rar or zip file which I must unzip to get the ePub file, how do I do this on the iPhone?
Mook4Nook is offline   Reply With Quote