Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-13-2011, 04:59 AM   #1
carthoris
carthoris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carthoris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carthoris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carthoris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carthoris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carthoris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carthoris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carthoris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carthoris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carthoris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carthoris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Flux - or how to make your LCD like an E-ink screen

Hello. you know that Eink technology is claimed to be how the future generations are going to read.there a great deal of discussion about the benefits of an eink screen vs. a backlit LCD, in regards to eye strain because staring at a PC screen is less comfortable than looking at the eink screen or paper even after we adjust the brightness intensity down to lower levels. Flux is your answer, and it's free. anyone heard or use it?
http://stereopsis.com/flux
Let me know what do you think.
carthoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:18 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Heard about it, use it. This doesn't make an EInk screen out of your LCD, however. All I can say about it is that it does make looking at an LCD screen more comfortable later in the evening, but still, you don't get the contrast EInk gives you. Neither do you get the battery life, for battery-powered devices.

Also, since this has nothing to do with Calibre, I'm moving it to an appropriate forum.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2011, 06:16 AM   #3
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by carthoris View Post
Flux is your answer, and it's free. anyone heard or use it? ...
Let me know what do you think.
No, I've never heard of it. Sounds interesting, thank you for pointing it out.

And, carthoris, welcome to MobileRead!

Question back: Are you in any way affiliated with this program?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
joenunya
Banned
joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle4pc
F.lux adjusts the apparent color temp of your LCD display to correspond to the outdoor sunlight for the given time of the day in your part of the world. I have used it for years as I am on a computer for 10-20 hours daily and feel it can't hurt at least add that sort of thing to help my eyes and relaxation. DOn't know if it really works but I don't believe it will hurt.

It also lets you manually adjust the apparent backlight temp so it is the same all the tiime as well. Very handy utility.

I can say I do notice an improvement in my eye fatigue at the end of the day when I am running F.lux. And hey, it's free.
joenunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Flux is fairly cool. I like the concept and it's rather easy on the eyes.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2011, 11:17 AM   #6
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Like E-Ink? No. It reduces "blueness" on the screen.
I started using F.lux a month ago. Changed my life. My eyes don't hurt anymore.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
Jacquelyn Smith
Fantasy Author
Jacquelyn Smith writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Jacquelyn Smith writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Jacquelyn Smith writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Jacquelyn Smith writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Jacquelyn Smith writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Jacquelyn Smith writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Jacquelyn Smith writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Jacquelyn Smith writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Jacquelyn Smith writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Jacquelyn Smith writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Jacquelyn Smith writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle 3G
I've been using F.lux for a few months now, and I definitely notice a difference for nighttime computer work.
Jacquelyn Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #8
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
While it has nothing to do with making your screen look like e-ink, it could be cool for toning down the kelvin at night before bed. Seems simple and decently crafted. tryin it out.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:57 PM   #9
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
That's a great idea! Going to give this a try.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #10
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Never heard of it before. Just downloaded and tried it out right now, and I already think it's great.

Thanks for the recommendation, carthoris.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #11
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I used f.lux for a couple of months but ended up not liking it and uninstalling. I didn't like that the brightness of my monitor varied with the time, I didn't like that the brightness changed while I was reading it,...and I ended up not liking that my monitor seemed dim a lot of the time.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #12
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
I've tried it now - LIKE. =)
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:33 AM   #13
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Ouch. It breaks color management profiles. Every LCD screen, deskktop or laptop, generally has massive blue shift. Everything is overly blue, with reds and greens washed out. You can fix this by either calibrating your monitor (expensive, time-consuming, but the best option) or finding an icc profile from someone with a similar monitor who's already calibrated and using that. However f.lux resets back to the monitor's default. That's awful.

Edit: I tried the Windows version. According to the "recent updates", the OS X version actually respects color profiles. The Windows version quite obviously does not. So maybe this would be decent on a Mac, but it's unusable under Windows.

Last edited by toddos; 09-14-2011 at 12:36 AM.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:20 AM   #14
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Does anyone know if the Linux version would work on an Android tablet?
Or if there is a comparable app for Android?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #15
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Does anyone know if the Linux version would work on an Android tablet?
Or if there is a comparable app for Android?
I tried hard to find anything like it. Nothing (yet) exists for Android or iOS devices.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote