Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-18-2007, 12:12 PM   #1
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
7th anniversary storewide sale at Fictionwise

Just got this in my email.

7TH ANNIVERSARY STOREWIDE SALE!

Fictionwise is celebrating its 7th Anniversary and we're offering big
savings on EVERY SINGLE eBook in our catalog! For a limited time, all
MultiFormat eBooks are 25% off and all Secure eBooks offer a 25%
Micropay Rebate. We rarely run a storewide sale, so don't miss this
opportunity to stock up for summer!

http://www.fictionwise.com

One of their multiformats is Mobipocket. I can also confirm that their secure mobipocket's work with the recently released iLiad Mobipocket Viewer as well.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:28 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Fictionwise is not bad. I've bought most of my e-books from them in the past and have no complaints.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2007, 09:09 PM   #3
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
I like Fictionwise too. Never had any problems at all with them.

I just wish they had the book "In The Beginning" by Joe Neubarth in MSReader format.

This is on Amazon.com for $94 second hand.

Mobipocket.com has it newly released in ebook form for $6 !!
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:08 AM   #4
rincewind
Connoisseur
rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iLiad
Huh, I looked at "On Intelligence" by Sandra Blakeslee & Jeff Hawkins, which is $19 as a DRM'ed to hell ebook, $16.50 new on Amazon as hardcover and $10.20 as paperback! How come, when going from hard to soft cover saves you 10 bucks off the list price, while an ebook (highly restricted too) is a bargain at 6 bucks off? Also, a used paperback is from $5, and that one I can even read out loud...

Not to say the least of "secure" formats - I'm not going to let anyone secure me from my content, just to go a ilttle Richard Stallman in here. :-)

/R
rincewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:09 AM   #5
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

What I'd like to know is why publishers think they can charge hardcover prices for an ebook for years after the softcover version of the paper book is released?

I bought leased licensed a couple dozen ebooks for summer but even with 25% off/back I'm pretty sure I got ripped off compared to buying paper versions. Especially when you factor in the overhead for the reading device. I've got about 100 legally licensed Mobipocket DRM titles on my iLiad so that's about $8 each for the device overhead.

For your typical $7 trade paper back that's a 114% premium on the list price for the paper version. But I seriously doubt most folks have that many, meaning your average owner is paying more than an $8 premium per license.

With economics like that is it any wonder ebooks are off to a slow start?
Advert
Old 05-23-2007, 05:52 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, without any discount the average paperback is $7.99. Plus tax if you live in a place that charges tax.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:00 PM   #7
scotty1024
Banned

Shows you how long it has been since I bought a paperback.

Thanks for the update.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:24 AM   #8
scotty1024
Banned

Just as a FYI, I got an email this morning advising me that the 7th anniversary sale ends this Sunday June 3.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:59 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker
I like Fictionwise too. Never had any problems at all with them.

I just wish they had the book "In The Beginning" by Joe Neubarth in MSReader format.

This is on Amazon.com for $94 second hand.

Mobipocket.com has it newly released in ebook form for $6 !!
The problem is we have too many formats of ebooks withmore coming out all the time. One device (forget which one) uses something called Wolf and the Sony Reader uses BBeB (LRF). So here we go with another 2 formats. So that makes it harder to find what you want in the format you want. I looked on a number of ebook shops and only found the Mobipocket format for the book you wanted. That is a problem in my opinion. It means sometimes we are just too limited to what we can read on our ereader.

My solution is ONE format and then you get a program to use to convert to what format you need. That would solve the problem very well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote