Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-17-2007, 09:56 PM   #1
Muskrat
Enthusiast
Muskrat began at the beginning.

Device: prs500
Help Please! Just bricked my reader with the flasher!

Please can someone help?
I just tried flashing my reader with hacks #15 & #16 from diabloNL's hacks collection, after first updating with Sony's firmware update. All went well until the final reboot (key 9) when the reader is now stuck on the "Starting up..." screen. Resets just go back to another starting up screen. I have no USB connection now. Tried the unbricking procedure mentioned here but the WZSEO.tmp folder does not seem to contain the same files as described. Perhaps because of the firmware upgrade? I now cannot turn off my reader or do anything with it. What do I do?
Please help. I was in the middle of a really great book!
Muskrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 02:57 AM   #2
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
There are instructions somewhere, but here's the quick version:

plug your reader into the usb on your computer
hit the reset and toggle the power switch

at this point it should eventually make it to the usb connected screen

then:
run the firmware installer far enough to have it extract the files and without closing it, copy off the wzse0.tmp or wzse1.tmp folder from your C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp folder

with the wzse0.tmp or wzse1.tmp folder, find the prsversion.dat file, open it in notepad or some other text editor and change the trailing 0 to a 1, then run prs-500Updater.exe and let it reapply the firmware update

That should get you working again

Last edited by Nogg; 08-18-2007 at 02:59 AM.
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:28 AM   #3
Muskrat
Enthusiast

Thanks,
I managed to get it going again using the X10 reset.
I am now running with the new updated firmware minus any hacks.
Missing them like crazy so I'm wondering if I'd be asking for trouble by having another go at it? Did I do anything wrong before? Perhaps the problem was caused by trying to add hacks 15 & 16 at the same time. Should I try flashing each one seperately do you think? Or just be grateful to have got the reader working again and leave it at that?
Old 08-18-2007, 11:07 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The first thing I'd humbly suggest is to make sure that the hacks in 15 and 16 don't conflict somehow. I'm not familiar with what's in those two, as I'm a #6 user myself (with a tweak or two).
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:18 AM   #5
Muskrat
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
The first thing I'd humbly suggest is to make sure that the hacks in 15 and 16 don't conflict somehow. I'm not familiar with what's in those two, as I'm a #6 user myself (with a tweak or two).
#15 is the icon set.
Has anyone successfully installed this with hack #16?
If so, how did you do it?
Old 08-18-2007, 01:30 PM   #6
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

In general the hacks cannot be used in conjunction with one another. However, the icon set hack (15) is an exception.

I just tried it myself (15 + 16), and everything's aok. Make sure you:

put applicationStart.xml in the resources directory
put main.xml in the scripts directory
put kBookIcon.png in the scripts directory
don't change anything else

Last edited by Nogg; 08-18-2007 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:23 PM   #7
Muskrat
Enthusiast

OK. I felt I should report back for a debriefing.
I tried flashing ##15 & 16 again. This time I removed all content from the reader's external memory. Worked fine (phew!). I think I just didn't have enough internal memory last time around (less than 8mb). So I am guessing that would have been the problem? I am copying my books back on now. Also after creating the image the first time the flasher recommended a reboot before pressing 6 to flash (which I did not do). This time I did not get this warning.
So I suppose the moral is to have plenty of empty space on the internal memory before attempting to modify the reader with the flasher?
Looking forward to using this mod.

BTW I am very grateful to everyone here. This is a great forum with some wonderful people who are prepared to spend long hours working out all this stuff and then provide swift and patient help to anyone when needed. Thanks a bunch. I'm glad to be here!
It's also true to say that the Sony Reader has literally changed my life. I have read soooo many books since I got it. Something to do with the ease with which one can get hold of and sample all kinds of reading material (particularly non-copyright classic books which one may not think about actually spending a lot of $$$ for in a bookstore). Pretty soon I may even achieve the status of being a "well read" individual you never know
Old 08-18-2007, 09:31 PM   #8
Nogg
Literate!

Glad you got it working!
Old 08-20-2007, 10:30 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Glad you got it working, Muskrat!

The low memory thing has been known to cause problems for folks in the past, so that might very well be what you were running into.

Thanks also for letting us know how it turned out, that helps us help others in the future. Of course, now that you know that bit, you can help others too!

I echo your kind words about this community -- it never ceases to amaze me how ... nice (there's not another word for it) the folks around here are, it's the main reason I've stuck around so long, and I hope you stick around too.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote