Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-01-2010, 12:54 PM   #1
flinx1
flinx1 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Calibre ignoring default output format

I have LRF set as the default output (because pagination of epubs suck on my Sony reader), but whenever I use send to device Calibre ignores my setting and converts to EPUB instead. I have to manually convert to LRF first, and then transfer the files to the reader. Anyone know how to fix this?

EDIT: Found it in the device interface plugin section. Consider the original question answered.

PS. Kovid, if you're reading this (on a different note) - would it be possible to move the new merge books feature to the toolbar or make it more easily available when right-clicking? Even a keyboard shortcut would be a great help, as right now it's buried 3 menus deep. I actually have a lot of books I need to merge due to importing a rather big library of files.

Last edited by flinx1; 05-01-2010 at 01:03 PM.
flinx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the keyboard shortcut is M
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:13 PM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinx1 View Post
PS. Kovid, if you're reading this (on a different note) - would it be possible to move the new merge books feature to the toolbar or make it more easily available when right-clicking? Even a keyboard shortcut would be a great help, as right now it's buried 3 menus deep. I actually have a lot of books I need to merge due to importing a rather big library of files.
This is funny. I originally wrote the Merge function by copying the Edit Metadata code, so it was on the toolbar and on the 1st level right click menu! That's actually why it has an icon - for the toolbar. Kovid and I agreed that this feature would probably not be used a lot, so it didn't need to appear on the main toolbar, and it was moved to its current position. (OTOH, I kept mine on the toolbar, because I'm still using it a lot to clean up my library.)

I think you'd need some others to support this request. Note, however, that pressing "M" for "Merge" is the shortcut, but you can't do the safe merge ("keep others") that way.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I personally would at least like it up a level so that it is directly on the right-click menu. I also would not object to it being on the main toolbar. I find I am using it a lot now that it is available as using it simplifies my workflow for adding books.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's not going to go on the main toolbar, it's not that useful a function for day to day use for most people that dont have large libraries.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
flinx1

I probably won't be doing many safe merges, so M sounds like it should do the job perfectly . Thanks guys.

One thing you could improve with the function, is to give the user feedback on which entry(ies) will be deleted by the way.

-
Back to the original issue, I also noticed something strange when transferring a file that hadn't been converted before - I got asked multiple times for the same file if I wanted to convert it. Seems like something is screwy. Could it be asking me once for every file type in an entry? Instead of just picking the default one according to the priority list?

Last edited by flinx1; 05-01-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
One thing you could improve with the function, is to give the user feedback on which entry(ies) will be deleted by the way.
I originally tried to give a list of entries that would be deleted, but the title and author for the file being kept and all the files being deleted tended to be the same - otherwise, why would you be merging them? The list of files to be deleted just didn't provide much info and it slowed things down. After using it for a while, I took it out.

I found it was easier, if I wasn't certain of what I was about to delete, to just cancel at the warning screen and reselect the first file, knowing that everything else would be deleted. That turned out to be much faster than trying to verify a list.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #8
flinx1

Sometimes the data will be wrong, like a misspelled title or the author field has multiple authors in one entry and only one in the other - that can be used. However, an easier way would be just to color the selection differently. Highlight the rows that will be deleted in red for instance.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:12 PM   #9
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Sometimes the data will be wrong, like a misspelled title or the author field has multiple authors in one entry and only one in the other - that can be used. However, an easier way would be just to color the selection differently. Highlight the rows that will be deleted in red for instance.
I considered that, but:
1) I couldn't find a way to highlight in another color (it may be possible, but I couldn't find it)
2) Even if it's possible, I couldn't highlight in red until after the user has chosen the Merge option (I don't know what he's doing when he's just selecting - he might be deleting or editing, etc.) The merge code doesn't even start until well after the selection is made. It just struck me that if the user's not sure which book was chosen first, he/she really doesn't want to hit the Merge button, and probably shouldn't. It's possible to turn off the warnings, although I don't recommend it, and in that case, it's too late to highlight or double check the selection.