Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-24-2023, 10:52 AM   #1
413Michele
Enthusiast
413Michele began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Paperwhite (1st gen)
Question Debugging calibre/plugins

Hello, I've used calibre for a long time now and in the years I've added plenty of books, plug-ins and tweaks to the settings to get an experience that fit my needs.

It's some time now that I'm having two problems with my installation:
  • Opening books (Epubs) in the viewer is very slow if it's the first time they're opened
  • Exporting all of calibre's data either hangs indefinitely or ends without a prompt after writing some gigabytes of data

The first problem disappears if I start calibre with the option "--ignore-plugins", so the cause is clear. The second one's origin, however, is unclear and prevents me from switching to a clean calibre installation.

So my question is: how can I debug these two problems? I looked up the manual and tried calibre-debug, but it seems to be limited and I didn't get any useful information, and although I'm tech-savvy I can't really code or anything.

A note: I've had these problems for at least a year, so they are not related to calibre 7
413Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 11:05 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Disable your third party plugins one by one till you find the culprit. As for the second problem, what do you mean ends without a prompt? Once all the data is exported the window closes there is no prompt. What are you expecting?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 11:16 AM   #3
413Michele
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
As for the second problem, what do you mean ends without a prompt? Once all the data is exported the window closes there is no prompt. What are you expecting?
That's good then, even though IMO a confirmation dialog is useful when a process is long or has important consequences if something goes wrong. The problem in my case is that from a library of ∼470 MB plus a few custom icons I get 2.8 GB of exported data. That can't be right...

Last edited by 413Michele; 11-24-2023 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 11-24-2023, 11:20 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The exported data contains the full text database which is multiple GB.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 11:29 AM   #5
413Michele
Enthusiast

I hadn't thought about that at all

Well then, this one is now cleared. I'll try to find the culprit for the first one, thank you for the help
Old 11-24-2023, 01:02 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice

Moved out of Development, see this sticky.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 01:14 PM   #7
413Michele
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

Moved out of Development, see this sticky.

BR
Yeah I'm sorry, I started the thread for help with debug but then it was way simpler than I had envisioned