Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
drjonez
drjonez began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Converting Epub to HTML from CLI removes formatting

Hi there. I'm using Calibre from the command line. Great software!

Here's my command line:
Code:
/opt/calibre/ebook-convert path-to/file.epub  temp/file.htmlz
Everything works great, but a lot of formatting seams to be lost. For example, text that was originally centered on the page is no longer centered in the html. Is there a switch to preserve formatting that I'm not aware of? I plowed through the docs and didn't find anything.

Thanks for your help!
drjonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:07 AM   #2
drjonez
drjonez began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
anyone?
drjonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Calibre is "not supposed" to do that.
I'm not the right person to respond to this but until someone who knows what they are doing does, here are some suggestions:
1. For epub, you would expect it to keep the underlying html and css information nearly intact.
Are there particular tags that disappeared?
(You can unzip the the epub and take a look at how it implemented the missing formatting, and then see what how calibre reflected that.)
2. Once you can find what didn't show up in the conversion, you can look to see whether the source complies with the HTML standard for that. Although the developers have made some effort to compensate for common errors, misformed HTML is the most likely reason for the conversion to come out wrong.

Good luck.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote