Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-18-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
t-town
Connoisseur
t-town began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Why doesn't the price of an E-book reflect the price of a paperback book?

What do you think?
High price when the book is released, but then the price is lowered when the paperback is introduced. publishers whine all the time that e-books cannibalize the sale of their hard cover versions, why don't they make a hard cover ebook and a paperback ebook?
I'm getting sick when I see I'm paying let's say 9.99 for an e-book when I can buy the paper book for 7.99 (shipping included).
t-town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
I can't decide whether it's because most publishers hate e-books and want to discourage people from buying them, or because a lot of publicity has been given to the increasing demand for ebooks, so they think we'll pay through the nose for them.

Of course, the two are not mutually exclusive.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
i can't decide whether the most recent thread on e-book pricing was 3 days ago or 4 days ago
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:08 PM   #4
jament
Enthusiast
jament doesn't litterjament doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505
Wah. Then don't open those threads. The title made it pretty clear what it was about.

On-topic, at least when I spend $7.99 on a paperback book, it's actually MINE. And I can read it and lend it to a friend. Heck, I can even (gasp!) give it away to someone. Or donate it to the jail for common criminals to read. When I spend $9.99 on the e-book, I'm just licensing the rights to read it myself. I'm not sure it's even technically legal to discuss the book with my wife over dinner.

Gotta love the digital publishing frontier.
jament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:15 PM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
i can't decide whether the most recent thread on e-book pricing was 3 days ago or 4 days ago
0 days ago, apparently.

The answer to the question though, is greed. When their costs are lower but the prices are higher, there's not much mystery involved in what's going on.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:09 PM   #6
SirBC
Connoisseur
SirBC is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Because, "Greed is Good".
SirBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:31 AM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
0 days ago, apparently.

The answer to the question though, is greed. When their costs are lower but the prices are higher, there's not much mystery involved in what's going on.
Wow! We agree on two things in one post!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-town View Post
What do you think?
I think publishers didn't hear about business acumen.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote