Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
John Osborn
John Osborn began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS
Merge catalogs

I have a large number of books divided into separate libraries; I prefer that approach to tags. Is there a way that a catalog can (reasonably easily) be obtained through Calibre that provides a merged catalog of all the separate libraries and (preferably) indicates the individual library that each book is in? All the catalog descriptions I have found refer only to a single catalog for each library. I have not tried an epub merge program on each individual library but that might be an editable possibility? Thanks
John Osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The catalog builder does not support merging multiple libraries.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you use calibre2opds generated catalogs instead of the Calibre Content server then it is possible to generate a catalog for each library, and then a top level entry linking these libraries. Calibre2opds catalogs are not 'ebooks' like Calibre generated catalogs, so whether this will satisfy what you want to achieve I am not sure?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:41 AM   #4
John Osborn

Thanks for the reply / suggestion. I have tried some other possibilities such as Book Collector but it seemed like one had to repeat / re-obtain all the info already in calibre. The calibre epub catalog function produces quite a pleasing result for one library so I am disappointed there is no obvious solution. I will try an epub merge programme in due course. However, I find it hard to believe there are not a lot of people out there with more than one calibre library who would be very grateful for a solution.... Thanks again
Old 01-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Osborn View Post
...All the catalog descriptions I have found refer only to a single catalog for each library. I have not tried an epub merge program on each individual library but that might be an editable possibility? ...
The EpubMerge plugin can put your various catalogs into one.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:56 AM   #6
John Osborn

Thanks Gunnerp245. I have had a trial run and EPubMerge does part of what I had hoped. The problem with the merging of the catalogs is that they merge - as one would expect - one after the other rather than a true intermingling merge. Also one has to put the name of the Individual Library in the tag of every book so that one knows which Library to look in for that book after one has done a search. It is sort of messy but improvement on individual catalogs. Thanks again.

Tags
multiple catalogs