Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-24-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
A classic Catherine L Moore novelette ar Project Gutenberg (US)

Yay! Happy days!.

One of the classic Catherine L. Moore's Northwest Smith novelette is now available at Project Gutenberg.

It is The Tree of Life. If you want to sample C. L. Moore's 1930's Weird Tales output, it's a good story. Since most of her early works were in Weird Tales, I hope more are released.

linky - http://www.gutenberg.org/files/32850...-h/32850-h.htm

Sorry about the misspelling of the title line, my typing is poor...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
Catherine Lucille Moore, and her husband, Henry Kuttner, are particular favorites of mine.

(Some of you have already figured out why. The rest of you need to track down "Vintage Season" ... and you'll understand soon enough.)

- M.

P.S.: Kuttner also had a story, "The Secret of Kralitz", in the same October '36 issue of Weird Tales.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
So that's what C.L. Moore's "L" stood for. I can see why she went by her initials.

By the way, am I the only one who's annoyed by various ebook archives' insistence on listing authors by their full names, middle name(s) and all, rather than by the names they published under? Edward Elmer Smith, for the love of all that's holy? ELMER? His middle name was ELMER? Personally, I think they should respect the authors' choice of how to present their names. If they pulled that on me, I'd come back from the grave to torment them. Only five people know my middle name, and the only one who isn't an immediate relative is a friend whose middle name is even lamer, so I've got blackmail material there.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
So that's what C.L. Moore's "L" stood for. I can see why she went by her initials.
In Moore's case, going by her initials was largely a practical matter; at the time she was writing, there was a strong prejudice that science fiction writing should be mascilune, and female authors had a very difficult time getting an audience.

In fact, most notable female science fiction authors either used initials or gender-neutral pseudonyms, for a good many years after that era. The sexual revolution came (no pun intended) and went, but it wasn't until fans dug up the obituary of James Tiptree Jr.'s mother that "he" was identified as Alice Sheldon.

There are still a few writers doing the same thing today. Of course today, it goes both ways....

- M.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:06 AM   #5
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Let me give the base Gutenberg link:

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/32850

Here you will find other formats, including a decent epub with images.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2010, 09:08 AM   #6
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Oh, that C.L. Moore!!! It's been so long since I read her books, I didn't immediately see who you were talking about. She was one of my first fantasy authors, I believe I read her in French translations. I hope I'm not confusing her with someone else though. I also read Leigh Bracket (sp?) at the same time. I'll check this out
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
I love all those "Northwest Smith" stories. Gothic science fiction. I wish someone would publish an eBook collection, or that the passage of time would put more of them out of copyright.
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote