Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 07-21-2008, 01:05 AM   #1
Professor
Enthusiast
Professor began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Arrow Going to have a V3

I work in a university, books are my essentials. An ebook device is needed for my job. I prefer HanLin V3 because it is very powerful in format/language supporting, and it has the highest performance-price ratio. I think V3 is the best selection for me!
Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:29 AM   #2
Fake51
Enthusiast
Fake51 began at the beginning.

Device: LBook V3
I don't find anybody here disagreeing with you that the V3 is a great reader, but you should also take a step back before purchasing to consider if the texts you'll be reading will be showing up fine on the V3. If, say, you were to have loads of PDFs approximating A4 layout, you might find it a bit tiresome to have to convert these. And at times you won't really be able to unless you hack it quite a bit.

This said, I'm getting happier with my lbook as the days go by, and I'm sure I'll have solved my pdf problems soon as well.

Regards
Fake
Fake51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2008, 10:48 PM   #3
Professor
Enthusiast

Hello, Fake51, Thanks for your advice! Lbook is a good device.
I have communicated with the manufacturer, they said this problem does not exist, PDFs run very fast on HanLin V3.
Many people use HanLin V3, I will ask somebody about this. Thank you!
Old 07-23-2008, 08:06 AM   #4
iterati
Zealot
iterati doesn't litteriterati doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, RCA REB1100, iPaq 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
Hello, Fake51, Thanks for your advice! Lbook is a good device.
I have communicated with the manufacturer, they said this problem does not exist, PDFs run very fast on HanLin V3.
Many people use HanLin V3, I will ask somebody about this. Thank you!
Indeed, there isn't a question of efficiency. The problem is that pdf is a non-dynamic format & formatted to fit in an A4 page, it is a format indended for printing with other words. The curious is why it became popular.... and even reflow support in later editions doesn't mean much, the majority of available documents (99%, I guess) are still static.
v3 has not trouble to display and handle pdf documents, very fast, but in some cases the text appears small, you can't compare A4 page with 6-inch screen.
Check also: http://www.openinkpot.org/wiki/Optim...eink%20display
iterati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:25 PM   #5
lightninga
lightninga began at the beginning.

Device: V3
[QUOTE=iterati;219826][COLOR="Navy"]Indeed, there isn't a question of efficiency. The problem is that pdf is a non-dynamic format & formatted to fit in an A4 page, it is a format indended for printing with other words. The curious is why it became popular.... and even reflow support in later editions doesn't mean much, the majority of available documents (99%, I guess) are still static.
v3 has not trouble to display and handle pdf documents, very fast, but in some cases the text appears small, you can't compare A4 page with 6-inch screen.

This is a good news for me! I will receive my hanllin V3 soon, I will try it in PDF, I believe everything will be nice!
lightninga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
Professor
Enthusiast

lightninga, you are so silent after you got your V3, just like a man got a sexy love? Can you tell us your opinion about your V3 please? No matter good or bad.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:34 AM   #7
lightninga

Hello, professor. My hanllin V3 is fantastic, I'm enjoying myself in it, it is my love!
Old 07-28-2008, 09:17 PM   #8
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by iterati View Post
V3 has not trouble to display and handle pdf documents, very fast, but in some cases the text appears small, you can't compare A4 page with 6-inch screen.
Check also: http://www.openinkpot.org/wiki/Optim...eink%20display
OpenInkpot's specs match Feedbook's recommendations for the Cybook Gen 3, which has the same size screen as our V3's:
http://www.feedbooks.com/help/cybook. They recommend 90 mm x 120 mm.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:33 AM   #9
Professor
Enthusiast

Thanks everyone, I decide to buy a Hanlin V3 now. Although each brand has both strength and weakness, Hanlin V3 has the highest performance-price ratio.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:43 PM   #10
iterati
Zealot
iterati doesn't litteriterati doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, RCA REB1100, iPaq 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
OpenInkpot's specs match Feedbook's recommendations for the Cybook Gen 3, which has the same size screen as our V3's:
http://www.feedbooks.com/help/cybook. They recommend 90 mm x 120 mm.
Yes, but even so you can't use the fonts of your preference. The problem with pdf is that it isn't a plain text format (like html, XML, FB2, rtf even) but binary and not easy to edit and convert.
iterati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:15 AM   #11
lightninga

My Hanllin V3 works very well so far, I am happy with it.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:06 AM   #12
hpkeong
Heavy eBook User
hpkeong began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V8, V3, Fujitsu Tablet PC, EEE PC
Professor, I am using V8 for 2 years and work very well. I am using WOLF format. I am also going to have V3 on sale in Malaysia and Singapore after tested its latest performance. You have a great choice. Cheers!
hpkeong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:23 AM   #13
lightninga

More and more people are happy with Hanlin V3 now! I think this is a good news.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:20 PM   #14
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Yes, it's nice to have alternatives to the Sony and the Kindle that are "open" to more formats. The Cybook Gen3 and the Hanlin V3 both fill that role nicely.

Plus, Jinke has a 9.7" reader on the way, the V9!
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:10 AM   #15
Professor
Enthusiast

I hope V9 is coming soon, though I have got a V3 already.